PDA

View Full Version : What does everybody think of Ed Roman?

grungemaster
January 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I've been browsing his site recently and I've been quite impressed with his selection, particularly his abstract/custom line; and I was just wondering if it was a good idea to do business with him. Please don't comment about his vendetta for les pauls, and for the love of God, don't post unless you have directly done business with him. (by the way please don't post about your experience in 2006 as he was no longer managing at this point.) Thank you.

Robert
January 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hey grungemaster, I am going to disobey your request... I have not done business with him, but the man has a very, should we say controversial reputation on guitar forums... that's all I can say. :)

Spudman
January 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
He's still in business so apparently he knows what he's doing.

NWBasser
January 7th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Ed Roman?:confused:

Spudman
January 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Ed Roman?:confused:
Las Vegas guitar dealer.

kiteman
January 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I heard you have to pay to walk into his store.

otaypanky
January 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Here's another site with some abstract custom designs ~
I love his creativity

http://www.jbacklund.com/

Katastrophe
January 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Gonna have to disobey your request on this one, too.

He's celebrated by some, villified by others. He has a custom shop and also deals in some high end customs. He has kits of various flavors, and used to have a large inventory of new and used guitars.

I don't have the coin to play in that guitar world, and while I'm sure there are some drool worthy guitars there, there are other guitars and vendors that merit my time and attention.

This, I'm sure, doesn't disturb Mr. Roman's world one bit, and it doesn't upset mine either.

hubberjub
January 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I spoke on the phone with him a few times six years ago about purchasing an Alembic Skylark. He seemed quite knowledgeable and quoted me a very good price. He's done some not so ethical things in his career, but most people seem to dislike him because he puts down a lot of major brands and people get defensive. When it comes down to it, a lot of his gripes (about Gibson and PRS) are spot on. I've heard good things about his Abstract guitars but have never had the opportunity to play one.

deeaa
January 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Hehehe...sorry I have to comment as well tho no experience...I had never heard of the guy but I read quite a bunch of his 'rants' and I haven't read such sensible stuff in a looooong while, I quite seem to agree with his views throughout the range (such as why would you buy a beginner a nylon-string acoustic or why on earth would an american person buy an eastern guitar or car etc.) both have always been mysteries to me. So yeah I'd like to buy from him based on his ideas at least.

stingx
January 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I don't believe I reserve the right to judge Ed based on what I have read on forums. After all there are always three sides to every story. I have read some of his rants and have agreed with some things and disagreed with others. I don't think he asks more for custom guitars than a lot of his peers do - ever walk into Rudy's Music in NYC?