PDA

View Full Version : Brookwood Leather ~ I tried something a bit different ~

otaypanky
January 7th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I tried something a bit different ~ what do you think?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_1389.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_1387.jpg

Katastrophe
January 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Stunning! How did you do that?

otaypanky
January 7th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Airbrush ~ and a big fattie :dance

Spudman
January 7th, 2011, 03:29 PM
That looks great. Can you do dragon scales too?

I'm just curious - do people eve have issues with the metal buckles scratching their instruments? That much metal around my guitars makes me nervous.

otaypanky
January 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think it should be a problem, but I guess you could scratch it. I usually use a cut to size strap with no hardware, but I have some with buckles and never had a problem. I always seem to find something else to ding it with~ LOL

Tig
January 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Wow, that looks great! Very unique.
Bet it took some time.

otaypanky
January 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I worked on it two days. The airbrushing takes a long time. It was fun though

t_ross33
January 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I'm just curious - do people eve have issues with the metal buckles scratching their instruments?

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. No problem while wearing the guitar, but I didn't take the strap off when I put the guitar away in it's case and after awhile I noticed I had scuffed the front of the guitar pretty bad. :thwap Dumb mistake, but I sold that guitar anyway, and I'm more careful now.

bcdon
January 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Very Nice!!

Perfect Stranger
January 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Looks great....:thumbsup

Monkus
January 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM
awesome...!

Duffy
January 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Nice, but I would like to see a theme other than the Country Western theme, maybe a sunburst cast buckle or snowflake. Also an adjustable hardwareless type with the adjustment slits in the leather to loop the thin part of the strap thru work really well and fit about anyone and could be tooled to look awesome, as it can be seen you have definitely the talent produce some very artistic products.

Hey, to each their own. Your product is really nice. Just thought I'd throw in a few ideas that you may or may not be able to take into consideration.

otaypanky
January 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Duffy. I've always shied away from the ladder type adjustment with the slots cut because anytime I ever used one it was all bunched up in back and changing the length was a pain. I make the straps to the length needed by the customer so having one adjust from 40" to 60" like commercial straps isn't really necessary. From talking with people most players never adjust the length of their straps after they set it to their preferred length when they get it. The Cut to Size style I make has been pretty popular with guys that don't need or want a buckle adjustment. I will often place 2 holes at the back spaced 2" apart that allow for some adjustment to compensate for the difference of summer to winter weight clothing.
But I'm always open to new buckle designs when I can find nice ones. A long time ago I made some cast brass buckles myself. Making the wax form, casting it in investment, baking the mold in a kiln to burn out the wax, and then pouring the brass and dressing up the casting was fun, but a real project.

Algonquin
January 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Nice indeed!
I'm patiently (anxiously) awaiting a Brookwood original, and very much looking forward to it. :AOK

Good stuff!

Duffy
January 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I like the custom cut to length method. I also like the texture stamped or rolled on your strap. Was that stamped by you and sewn or machine rolled and sewn?

otaypanky
January 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I do any stamping by hand. I know they make embossing machines that you can load with dies that press a design in the leather and you turn a crank to feed the leather through. That's a quick way to make a design on a belt but the dies are usually only 1", maybe 1 1/2" wide and the embossing machine and the dies are very expensive. Places like Tandy sell belt blanks stamped like that as well as the machines. Something like this one is hand stamped ~

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0496143123208_std.jpg

Jimi75
January 10th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Drool! One of the sweetest straps I've ever seen.
You are really gifted!

otaypanky
January 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
:thankyou Jimi

bigG
January 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Drool! One of the sweetest straps I've ever seen.
You are really gifted!

+1 on that! Outstanding work, Bob, and belated congrats on your retail deal! :applause

Ch0jin
January 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Airbrush ~ and a big fattie :dance

Haha thats awesome. That basically describes how I design my stomp box graphics if you substitute "Airbrush" for "Photoshop".

I like the look of that strap design, but it prompts me to ask, do you do any work with other animal skins? Namely, croc/gator and snake? I've seen some pedals covered in snake and gator skin and they looked amazing.