PDA

View Full Version : We are buying a new house

Robert
January 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
We had put in a bid on a really nice and big house, but the seller canceled because their new house they were supposed to move into was delayed.

I suspect we will get another chance at bidding on it soon though.

We are renovating our current house and plan to put it on the market very soon. The new house is almost twice the size, so we will go into more debt again. However, we think we can work it out without too much suffering. I'll have to get more gigs and do more guitar teaching! :dance

It will be so nice to have room for all our stuff though... my studio will be larger too, and my wife can have all her sewing gear set up too... :)

So, we will find out in the next few days/weeks if we get this house or not.

We are storing our stuff in a large trailer right now.

Spudman
January 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Moving is a pretty big adventure. Keeping your overhead low is also a prime consideration. Sometimes the nice big house can milk you dry. I'm just being a realist. Still, if you can afford it, then I really hope you enjoy it and enjoy getting to build a new studio too.

Did you check to see what the neighborhood dog situation is around the new house? Constantly barking dogs can ruin a great neighborhood.

Beerman
January 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
That's a bummer but I guess the legal parts don't want to use some sort of common sense and just agree to put things in a holding pattern for X number of months???? That would make too much sense.

Maybe as they say, "good things come to those that wait" so I'll just wish you luck and have positive thoughts it'll all work out. In these tough times, be very glad you are able to do this as many folks simply can't.

piebaldpython
January 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Good luck to you Robert. Still, even though you move, the cretins (a/k/a the young lads) will eventually be bangin' on your door to date your daughter.

Make sure you have enough $$$'s left over for a good pump-action shotgun to guard your property. :thwap

Robert
January 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
No worries about the daughters... not yet anyway.

The neighbourhood is great, and we have a lake view! :)

Katastrophe
January 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Congrats in advance Robert! I hope it all goes well for you.

tjcurtin1
January 8th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Good luck, Robert! I'm just thinking of all the work that you've done on your studio... But then again, new projects can be exciting. Looking forward to more vids from the new location.

poodlesrule
January 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Good luck, Robert!
I think it is not uncommon to have a house sale delayed on account of the seller needing more time to "turn around". Do you have an attorney overseeing and advising on the purchase?

New bigger house: Does the Canadian tax system allow for deducting expenses related to the business use of part of the house, like the U.S. tax code does? This may help.

Sewing gear...? That sound familiar!
"We" have countless plastic bins full of fabric here -I just asked, it is over 30 bins...

Robert
January 8th, 2011, 02:00 PM
No attorney, no.

Deductions, yes. I will do more business (lessons) in the new house, so some expenses will be tax deductable.

Brian Krashpad
January 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Break a leg!

Mojo sent.

deeaa
January 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Good luck!

I sometimes dream of a new house, I'd love to build one. I'd draw it myself & have a pro go over the plans to check it, and do much of the building myself too. Got all the details in my head...it'd actually be two houses joined by a covered glass-walled terrace/patio, one side being a rather normal 2-story house and the other long 1-story building containing a proper big rec room and studio room and such, garage at the end. All made of stone. It would be situated on a low slope on a lakeside near here.

But, I figure that'd mean loaning at _least_ 200-250K in addition to what we'd get from the current home, so...only if I win in a lottery...

sunvalleylaw
January 9th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Best of luck! Patience is your friend in residential real estate, based on my experience, and on how the market is down here anyway. If this one doesn't work out, something else that is right will.

otaypanky
January 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Will I have my own room when I come to visit? I'd like one with the lake view ~

Moving can be pretty crazy, so hang in there.

Robert
January 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Will I have my own room when I come to visit? I'd like one with the lake view ~

Moving can be pretty crazy, so hang in there.

Absolutely! We have a guest room with lake view.

Bring some of your sweet amps too.

Algonquin
January 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Good luck with the new investment Rob.

When submitting an offer on a home, is it advisable to already have your home on the market? Many times an offer carries a condition of selling your own within a short period of time, and this gives the sellar some confidence in choosing your offer over another.

sumitomo
January 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Good for you Robert,your young and have a go for it mind,I was living in a school bus when I was your age.You can do it! Sumi:D

progrmr
January 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Congratulations Robert! Moving into a new home is a big deal - do your friends a favor and just pay movers instead of bringing a bunch of people over and breaking their backs for a pie! :)

G/L!