PDA

View Full Version : Trade Blues Jr. for Peavey Classic 30

Commodore 64
January 8th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have an opportunity to trade my BLues Jr. for a Peavey Classic 30. I would be trading the Blues Jr. back to the guy I bought it from. Heh.

I really like my Peavey Bandit, and I've been using my Vox Pathfinder 15R for practice, so the trade appeals to me in that I get to try a different amp without spending a penny.

What's everybody think?

Algonquin
January 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I know of folks on this forum who've traded the other way (PV30 / Delta ---> Blues Jr) and are very happy they did. I like my PV, but tastes in amps are as varied as there are choices to make.

If you've got a good feel for what both amps have to offer, I'd say go with your gut on this one.

Cheers :beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Why don't you bring yours over, or bring his over, play them with your guitar, and go with your gut like David says. Or if it doesn't work to have them side by side, play your guitar through your amph, then bring it over and play through his, and decide which you want. I love my C-30, and felt it compared very favorably to a buddy's Blues Jr. But others like it the other way around. Only your ears know.

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I'm one of the guys Gonq is referring to. I love my USA modded Blues Jr. which was bought after I sold my Classic 30 the same day. Having said that I do miss the Classic 30 but I LOVE the BJ. It's all up to you. If you can swing it keep the BJ and buy the Classic 30. Both great little amps.

otaypanky
January 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
If I am understanding your post correctly Commodore you got this Jr from a fellow who now has a Classic 30 and wants to trade it to get back his old Jr?
'Sounds like he likes the Jr best

pedalbuilder
January 10th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Can't go wrong. I can only assume that the reason you are considering a trade is because you don't feel married to the Blues Junior - so why not? On the other hand, if you really love the Blues Junior and will miss it when it's gone, then keep it!

I don't like my Blues Junior, personally, and could easily be convinced about such an exchange.

Eric
January 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Not sure if you've done this deal yet, but my recommendation would be to play your BJR a butt ton before meeting this guy (noting the settings you use), play his C30 a bunch (noting the settings you use) while using the same guitar you used with your BJR, and make a decision that way.

Try all settings like low volume, high volume, clean, distorted, etc. and figure out which would work best with the music you usually play.

If you realize you like the BJR a lot, try to avoid the endowment effect (http://endowment-effect.behaviouralfinance.net/) and make a fair assessment objectively.

I guess that's all common sense, but it's stuff I usually forget to do when looking at new deals, so you might want to try to remember it.

Jipes
January 11th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Consider the weight and the type of power you need. I gigged for 5 years with a BJ and never had the need for more power even when performing on big venues. Carrying a loud amp around is an issue after some years ;o)

stingx
January 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
These are two very different sounding (voiced) amps. Follow the suggestion of playing both extensively and going by what YOU think sounds best. I personally prefer the sound of the C30 but mine has been modded to taste. I love the cleans of the Jr. but find the C30 must better suited to my style of music. Sound is a very subjective thing. You have to follow your ears.

Commodore 64
January 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I haven't heard back from the guy, so I guess it's a moot point now.

Commodore 64
January 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Guy stopped by last night. We BS'd, played a little bit, and made the trade. On Sunday I played the Blues Jr. at rehearsal for 4 Hours...Master V. dimed and Volume around 7. It sounded pretty good.

The Classic 30 is definitely voiced differently than the Blues Jr.. Blues Jr. has really chimey, bright cleans. The Peavey has a more subdued or mellow feel to it. I didn't get a chance to crank it, but it certainly is an amp that will need to angled upward or placed a few feet off the ground.

Time will tell whether I prefer the Blues Jr or Classic 30, but my next rehearsal is on February 13, so I'll certainly be able to give it a workout then.

Commodore 64
February 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
http://lucky-cricket.com/files/PVClassic30.JPG

Gonna leave for rehearsal in a couple hours. The Classic 30 will get a good workout today!

cebreez
September 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hey Commodore....... what happened with your PV Classic 30? I asked because that is what I play and wouldn't trade it for all the fenders in the world. Not saying I would love to have a Twin Reverb. Just wouldn't trade my 30 for it. Im still trying to find an extension cab for mine and do plan on swapping speakers which they say makes a huge difference in the sound. Tube upgrades are by choice. I think the stocks are fine but when they go I'll probably upgrade then. Anyway... I'm chatting along and don't even know if you kept it. Take Care!!

Commodore 64
September 18th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I kept it. I use it whenever I rehears, which unfortunately is not often enough, once a month if we're lucky. I really need to bring it home so I can play it regularly. It's sounds strange to say this, but I am more familiar/intimate with the controls on my Peavey Bandit than I am with my Classic 30. I keep the Bandit as a back-up, and I play it most of the time at home for practice (either that or my Vox Pathfinder 15R).

I don't see myself getting rid of the Classic 30. I, too, would like to get an extension cab for it. Just because they are cool. THe Classic 30 is a nice small amp, easy to transport and will peel paint if I crank it.

cebreez
September 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Exactly!! But the extension cab will also give you a little more body and volume on stage since the Classic 30 "ext spkr" jack doesn't cut the internal speaker. It actually the jack switches the output impedance to 8 ohms and use the two 16 ohm speakers in parallel. I would love to have the ext cab made for it because like you said it looks really cool. But they seem to be real proud of them. So it looks like I will make my own. Found the actual peavey vinyl tweed somewhere online but I've forgotten where it was.