PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to see this tomorrow....

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Since playing a couple of Historic Series '59 Les Paul Reissues (a.k.a "R9s") lately and being mightily impressed, I had started seriously considering looking around for one to buy, if the price was right. That's a big "if"! Between some healthy pedal sales (I'm backlogged through May at the moment) and selling some current gear, I should be able to swing one pretty readily, if I can keep the price to ~$3K or less. Problem is, most of them seem to go for $4,500 and up. :eek:

Anyway, I had been looking at eBay every few days to get a sense of what's available for what kind of price, and one turned up late last week with a $3000 min. bid, $3300 BIN. Problem was, unlike most of these guitars, it lacked the Gibson "Certificate of Authenticity" and the original brown "Lifton" HSC was no longer with it, either. Since most of these guitars seem to be bought by collectors who seek these things, it's price was substantially lower. The guitar was also stated as having some degree of playing wear, further depressing its value to these collectors. Normally,I wouldn't have been interested, but the seller listed the location as "upstate NY". That opened the possibility that I might be able to actually see & play the guitar, if his location wasn't too far away. So I sent him an e-mail and--lo and behold!--he's only about a half-hour drive away.

Next, I posted some of his photos at the MyLesPaul forums to have some "expert eyes" check it out. Good news--everybody who looked at it agreed that the guitar was genuine and consensus was that it was priced fairly for the condition & lack of CoA.

The next problem was that there was no way I'd bid that kind of money on the guitar without seeing it, and I couldn't get there before the auction ended. So I had to just hold my breath and hope it didn't sell. It didn't. So I called the guy and am planning to see it tomorrow. He's even agreed to give me "first refusal". So we'll see where it goes....

As I mentioned, he had posted some nice photos--here's a couple:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/R9fs/R9FS_full_front_1800h.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/R9fs/R9FS_body_front_960w.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/R9fs/R9fS_hs_rear_cropped.jpg

Algonquin
January 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Looks sharp DVM, hope it turns out to be a good one. We're guitar players, not collectors. That guitar was meant to be played, so if it has a couple of miles on it already... so be it!

Good luck tomorrow!

Robert
January 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Oh, cool man! That's twice the price of my used Suhr! :)

Tone2TheBone
January 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Are you serious? And you haven't consulted with your buddy Rob about this? ;)

duhvoodooman
January 9th, 2011, 08:57 PM
We're guitar players, not collectors. That guitar was meant to be played, so if it has a couple of miles on it already... so be it!That's exactly my philosophy on this--if I buy it, it's not to squirrel away in a closet or to put on display. I plan to play it--often and with earnest intent! :rockon:

Oh, cool man! That's twice the price of my used Suhr! :)I hear ya, RR. This is a LOT of freakin' money. A bunch of ZYS's and Rabid Rodents, and a CLOUD's worth of solder fumes!! But it's the guitar of a lifetime. I've loved 'Bursts since I was 18 years old and saw both Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page each playing one in the summer of '69. Of course, those were original '59s, not reissues!! :eek:

Are you serious? And you haven't consulted with your buddy Rob about this? Been too "dazed and confused", I guess!! ;)

syo
January 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I'm of the opinion that that CoA nonsense is, well, nonsense. Unless you're purely a collector.
If it speaks to you DVM, you'll just have to bring it home now won't you?

FrankenFretter
January 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM
That's freakin' sweet! I hope it turns out for you, DVM. I'll be amongst many others here who will be quite jealous.

Blaze
January 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
....Go get it DVM,it s a once in a life time great Lookin Axe ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yMtdltbCjoE/STtOGzPY05I/AAAAAAAAAKc/GpTNnacTZ2U/s320/59lespal.jpghttp://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID12855/images/101908815.JPG

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm of the opinion that that CoA nonsense is, well, nonsense. Unless you're purely a collector.I couldn't agree more. The fact that one of these guitars might be worth several hundred dollars less for the lack of a piece of paper seems preposterous to me. It's value is merely in substantiating that the guitar is what the seller purports it to be. And I must admit that the lack of either the CoA or the original Lifton case are a concern to me. Not that the guitar isn't an R9--the "experts" were all in agreement that it was genuine--but rather the legitimacy of ownership. The current seller seems like a straight-shooter, but I don't know him. The fact that he had it up for sale on eBay, complete with photos, would seem to show he has nothing to hide.

Of greater concern to me is that he is not the original owner. Reportedly, the guitar came from Guitar Center, who lost (?) the CoA. Seems a little careless on a $5000 guitar, though I don't put any act of incompetence beyond GC! The possibility always exists that the previous owner was a thief, or the customer of one--expensive guitars are constantly being stolen. Hopefully that's not the case here, but these are all things I'll be checking out when I see the guitar.

syo
January 10th, 2011, 08:58 AM
The possibility always exists that the previous owner was a thief, or the customer of one--expensive guitars are constantly being stolen. Hopefully that's not the case here, but these are all things I'll be checking out when I see the guitar.
Well, that of course is certainly a possibility. But if after your due diligence, all seems legit and you're happy with it, you may as well give it a good home.
I'm sure you'll be asking all the right questions.

Jimi75
January 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sooooo awesome! Man, you will love it. The 59 historic RI is one of the best guitars the market offers, really. I have tried a bunch of 'em and all were great.

Here's the best reissue I have ever heard, enjoy it:
x9FvhvCQVYE&feature=player_embedded

marnold
January 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Phew! I understand your enthusiasm but that is a metric buttload of cash. What does Duh Voodoo Woman think about all of this? :D

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Phew! I understand your enthusiasm but that is a metric buttload of cash. 100% in agreement on the veracity of your observation here, Rev. W-A-A-A-A-Y-Y more than I've ever paid for any piece of musical gear. Like by nearly a factor of 3....

What does Duh Voodoo Woman think about all of this? :DFunny you should mention this, because running this all past "DVW" is the next (and arguably most crucial) step. I saw/heard/played the guitar today, and it is all I hoped it would be, based on the two Historic Series LP's I'd encountered previously. Actually, for playability, I thought it was the best of the three. The neck was PHENOMENAL. And while $3K is indeed one very sizeable chunk of change, it's a very, very good price for an R9 in excellent condition. Plus, being local and from a private seller, I'd pay neither sales tax nor shipping.

The deal I've had with DVW for some time now is that I finance all my gear sales with (1) my pedal sales profits, and/or (2) by selling some of my existing gear, i.e. I don't fuel my particular addiction with family funds. And as I mentioned above, that's not a problem, other than timing. Between cash already in the coffers, pedal orders in hand, and the planned sale of an existing guitar, I am fortunate enough to be able to cover this purchase quite easily....just not at the moment. So it will entail dipping into the family checking account and not being able to pay it back fully until prolly April. So that will be the jist of the spousal discussion. Wish me luck.... :thumbsup

Algonquin
January 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Wish me luck.... :thumbsup
:happy LUCK!!! :happy

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Good luck with DVW...

So, if you're gonna get rid of a guitar, which one is going?

bcdon
January 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Go for it! You deserve it and you know you won't regret it. :dude

duhvoodooman
January 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
So, if you're gonna get rid of a guitar, which one is going?Can't see having two faded cherryburst LP's, so it would be my Epi Elitist LP Standard:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/LP_new_pups.jpg http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/LP_bodyshot.jpg

Katastrophe
January 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Somebody's going to get a good deal on a fantastic LP...

bigG
January 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Vood, here's my 2 cents:

Barring any major unforeseen circumstances, you know that April will be here before you know it, and the family account will be repaid.

HOWEVER, you don't know anything for sure about the availability of your dream guitar if you don't bite now. And the chances of finding another at that resonable price are possible, but not probable (that is the one MF sells for $5,999, yes?).

To me, it's a no brainer. But it's your decision. I would NOT pass this up!

G

duhvoodooman
January 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Spousal concurrence obtained!! :rockya :thumbsup :happy

Contacting the seller tomorrow morning to finalize the deal!

Tone2TheBone
January 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Righteous! What a great woman! I can't wait to visit you someday to play it. :dude :hungry :rockya

Algonquin
January 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Righteous! What a great woman! I can't wait to visit you someday to play it. :dude :hungry :rockya
You better pick me up on the way over you #%$^#$%^ sun of a gun...

Very nice DVM... a sincere congrats! :thumbsup

Ch0jin
January 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Wow nice, congratulicious!

You need to update ur avatar now and swap out the tele ;)

Robert
January 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM
What kind of spouse do you have? Unreal!

guitarhack
January 12th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Better get something nice for the spouse, too! Lucky man!

ZMAN
January 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I can see why the case is gone. I saw one on ebay for 500 bucks. Obviously you don't care but would it be possible to contact Gibson and get a replacement certificate?
I love it when a hobby can fund some great purchases. I have experienced that with a hobby.
The best thing about having such a lovely guitar is every time you look at it you get that "feeling". Worth every penny.
Enjoy.

wingsdad
January 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
... Obviously you don't care but would it be possible to contact Gibson and get a replacement certificate? ...
That's a worthwhile suggestion since this isn't just any old LP... I was able to do that with G&L for an ASAT I'd bought previously owned that the original owner had misplaced the CofA for. Gibson may balk, though. That's a lot of trouble to go thru for a non-original owner. I tried getting a simple part for a BluesHawk I'd owned 2nd-hand a few years back -- I wanted to add a position marker ring which the BH didn't come with, stock, for the Varitone switch, as it does on an ES345 or 55-- and they told me they couldn't sell me one, to try AllParts or some other parts houses. I felt so warm & fuzzy.

Enjoy that awesome guitar. Even without the original case and CofA, you were lucky to find that at a decent savings. The case probably doesn't sound that great or feel as exciting anyway.

duhvoodooman
January 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I sent Gibson Cust. Svc. a note inquiring about a relacement CoA, so we'll see what they say. I could care less about the lack of the Lifton case, but having a CoA would be nice.

8" of snow on the ground and still falling here, so pickup of the guitar will have to waiit until tomorrow earliest....

Eric
January 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cool stuff, Vood. Be sure to post some more pictures once it's in the fold!

tunghaichuan
January 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I sent Gibson Cust. Svc. a note inquiring about a relacement CoA, so we'll see what they say. I could care less about the lack of the Lifton case, but having a CoA would be nice.

8" of snow on the ground and still falling here, so pickup of the guitar will have to waiit until tomorrow earliest....

So near, yet so far... :thwap

Still, it should be worth the wait. :dance

Edit: for you DVM:

uMyCa35_mOg

ZMAN
January 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Yea I am just north of you near Niagara Fall Canada. We had about 6. I got to power up my Snow thrower for the first time this year. I got so excited I did 3 or four of the neighbours as well. Where I live the people have owned their homes for 35 years and a lot are older. My big brute does a 20 foot wide drive in about 5 passes. A lot of shoveling for us old farkers.
I would keep a lookout for one of the regular brown gibby cases, with the shroud. I have one for my Standard and one for my 335. They would look really good with an R9. Brown outside and pink inside.
It will be interesting to see what Gibson says.

Blaze
January 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/w/wazzup-11592.jpg

duhvoodooman
January 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Edit: for you DVM:

uMyCa35_mOg
Thanks for that, Tung! Hard to believe that tune is 30 years old this year.... :eek:

Eric
January 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that, Tung! Hard to believe that tune is 30 years old this year.... :eek:
I have no idea what Tom Petty's right hand is doing in that video.

:confused:

piebaldpython
January 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Just bustin' your chops here Vood....but....uh........Mudcat supposedly had spousal approval when he bought that $2G Gibby last year.....and we haven't heard much out of the boy since???? :poke

Best sleep with one eye open. :poke

Again, just kiddin'. Great score on the git. Congrats.

duhvoodooman
January 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
...Mudcat supposedly had spousal approval when he bought that $2G Gibby last year.....and we haven't heard much out of the boy since???? That's because he's been too busy PLAYIN' IT!!!! :rockon:

ZMAN
January 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
"G" Day?

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
"G" Day?Yup. Heading out at noon to go pick it up....

Blaze
January 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
http://ih0.redbubble.net/work.2707279.5.flat,550x550,075,f.tired-of-waiting-greeting-card.jpg

Tone2TheBone
January 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Yup. Heading out at noon to go pick it up....

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Katastrophe
January 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
plus eleventy gazilliquadrilliatrillion!

OUT WITH IT, DVM!!!!!!! DID YA GET IT? WHERE ARE THE PICS!!!!!!

FrankenFretter
January 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Perhaps DVM has a better work ethic than I do, but if it were me picking up my first Reissue LP, I'd have taken the rest of the week off from work. And I'd also make sure my good friends at The Fret had pics of it IMMEDIATELY after the purchase was final

But that's just me.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Picked it up during my lunch hour today (OK, so it was a little longer than an hour!), but I still had to come back here to work. So it's sitting in the corner here in my office while I stare at the clock and pray for the hands to move faster...faster...FASTER, DAMMIT!!! :reallymad:

Tone2TheBone
January 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Picked it up during my lunch hour today (OK, so it was a little longer than an hour!), but I still had to come back here to work. So it's sitting in the corner here in my office while I stare at the clock and pray for the hands to move faster...faster...FASTER, DAMMIT!!! :reallymad:

Well while you're still at work and hopefully at your computer you might start your list of superlatives to give us tomorrow or even tonight when you start describing what heaven on earth is really like. :applause

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Man I've been there........

bigG
January 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Very cool, Vood! In fact, one of the coolest things ever! I couldn't be happier for you :thumbsup Outstanding!!!!

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I'll keep the verbage to a minimum for now and start with some photos. The cherryburst is not as overtly red-yellow as the flash makes it look, but the pics capture the flame pattern in the maple really well:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/MyR9/R9_full_front.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/MyR9/R9_full_rear.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/MyR9/R9_neck_front.jpg

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/MyR9/R9_body_front.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/MyR9/R9_hs_rear.jpg

Katastrophe
January 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
*gulp* That guitar is gorgeous. Congratulations, Vood. It's a beauty!

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Beautiful! I like how the stain fades out along the back of the neck too. Looks like the fretboard has some nice grain to it too.

Now all you need to do is swap out "x" and replace the "y"....I kid, looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better!

Also....whats that naked head with the lead coming out of it? Inquiring minds need to know :)

warren0728
January 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
that's one of the nicest looking chinese knockoffs i've seen! :poke

seriously....beautiful guitar :pancake

FrankenFretter
January 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Wow. That is one of the nicest CSBs I've seen. Perfect. I love it. HNGD!!!

Robert
January 14th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Congrats! You found a good one!

oldguy
January 14th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Mucho Congrats, Vood!
That is what a burst should be, beautiful. :thumbsup

ZMAN
January 14th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Very nice looking guitar. What is the weight on it?
Did you get a reply from Gibson yet?
I bet there wan't a lot of soldering going on last night!

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
What is the weight on it?
Did you get a reply from Gibson yet?
I bet there wan't a lot of soldering going on last night!
1) 8 lbs. 3 oz.
2) No. Not holding my breath....
3) Zip-zilch-nada. :rockon:

Blaze
January 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
:applause Beauty !! , Congrats DVM, now, it would be cool to hear a clip with some Beck , Page or Joe B...:applause Bravo..

Tone2TheBone
January 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Beautiful instrument Bob. Congratulations!

Tig
January 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Very nice, DVM! I'm happy for you, man!
:applause
I'm sure you'll appreciate it and give it the home it deserves.

otaypanky
January 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM
:rockon

ZMAN
January 15th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I am also a member on the Les Paul Forum. What I can't understand it that guys buy these guitars for 5 grand and then immediately change the pickups.
The is how I got my BBs for my gold top. They are excellent pick ups and I don't really know why a guy would pay that much for a guitar that he didn't like the pickups.
I checked up here and that same guitar is "on sale" for 6900 at the 12th Fret in Toronto.
I think you got a pretty good deal.

Earle G
January 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Very nice indeed. The serial number seems like a '95 mfg. year. That explains
the light weight if so as Gibson was having a tough time finding lighter
(low silica content) wood as time went on. Also if a '95 it could be a
Tom Murphy finish on it. He actually used Iodine in the finish of that type
finish. Congrats!

NWBasser
January 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Awesome snag bro!:thumbsup :rockya

Stealing some words from The Tubes - She's a Beauty!

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh my my im jealous brother:applause

NWBasser
January 19th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Oh my my im jealous brother:applause

Muddy! Where the heck have you been?

And of course, welcome back!

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Very nice indeed. The serial number seems like a '95 mfg. year. That explains
the light weight if so as Gibson was having a tough time finding lighter
(low silica content) wood as time went on. Also if a '95 it could be a
Tom Murphy finish on it. He actually used Iodine in the finish of that type
finish. Congrats!
Nope, it's definitely a 2005. There are apparently several ways to differentiate the '95s from the '05s, but the fret inlays are the easiest. See THIS POST (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/97886-how-tell-1993-2003-reissue.html) at the MyLesPaul.com forums. Mine definitely has the "swirly" patterned fret inlays with the sharp corners. It also has the "reissue" bumblebee tone caps, where they were still using ceramics in '95.

Oh my my im jealous brother
MUDDY!! Where the heck you been, bro???

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Short answer is health problems......but im still kicking:dance

Commodore 64
January 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Nice guitar man, you deserve it.

syo
January 20th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Fell out of this thread while traveling. Congrats DVM! That is a truly stunning guitar and you got an excellent deal besides. :applause

Jimi75
January 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Definitely one of the most beautiful guitars here on the fret. That look is hard to top, to be honest.

Great catch. Congrats DVM!

mrmudcat
January 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Definitely one of the most beautiful guitars here on the fret. That look is hard to top, to be honest.

Great catch. Congrats DVM!

Agreed............damn voodooman:dance

Monkus
January 21st, 2011, 12:18 PM
beautiful guitar !!! congrats !!! clips?

kidsmoke
January 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Just curious....
What do they use for Nut material on the '59 re issue, and what are you stringing it with?

duhvoodooman
January 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
From what I've read, the nut material used on the Historic Series guitars at that time was Corian. That's a synthetic composite made of alumina trihydate ceramic in an acrylic polymer matrix, developed by DuPont in the '60s. Though best known as a material used for kitchen counters and bathroom vanity tops, it was originally developed as a replacement material for human bones. So it's not a bone nut, but it is as close as DuPont could get! ;)

The guitar has D'Addario 10's on it.

BTW, is that Lowell George in your avatar?

Ch0jin
January 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
....That's a synthetic composite made of alumina trihydate ceramic in an acrylic polymer matrix.....

You know, looking at the pictures I suspected as much. You know what they say, a shot of Al(OH)3 a day keeps the doctor away..... :) :munch: :rotflmao:

kidsmoke
January 23rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
BTW, is that Lowell George in your avatar?

Yep, that's him.

Corian, no kidding. What did they use on original 59's back in the day? My Idol has black graphite and that's one object open for variation. Mind you, I'm well aware that the nut is not a HUGE factor, but it is a relatively inexpensive mod, and getting as close as possible to the "Holy Grail" can't hurt.

Thanks.