PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit to how long a guitar solo can be?

Eric
January 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I've been dorking around off and on with some backing loops I've recorded on my looper, coming up with decent guitar parts to play over them. Most recently was "Would?" by Alice in Chains, which is in D, but seems to hover around F#, so I'm guessing the solo is F# phrygian (not sure if that's correct).

I recorded myself doing some of this freeform solo stuff, and what I concluded is that a lot of it sounds kind of similar. Different cool ideas at different points, but still just kind of same-y after a certain amount of time.

Do you think there's a limit on how long a solo can be in a song if you are to maintain a connection to the song itself? I know there are examples of epic guitar solos that go on forever, but do you think they are still serving the song at that point, or are they just indulging their guitar muse? If it's the former, how do they do it? Do the chord progressions keep changing so as to keep the ideas fresh?

Perhaps I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to keep it interesting beyond, say, a minute or two of straight guitar.

Beerman
January 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Just my simple opinion but to me, alot depends on the genre of music. In the 70's and early 80's, seems like solos were about half the song. Live concerts were even more so. Now, they seem to be more 'blended' into songs and come in parts with most not being too long. Of course, some bands are different. I could listen to some guitarists for ever.
Then there's the instrumentals but that's a different animal. I would say that if it blends in well and doesn't grandstand, it's not too long.

As an example, a group of friends I jam with regularly consists of 2 guitarists most of the time. I take most of the solos but the other guys does some as well. Often times another guitarist will sit in and I try to freely give up my solos to the other guy. It's very obvious he's good but he knows when the solo stop and the singing starts yet he keeps going and continuing like there's going to be a climax and it's over but it's not. That's just obnoxious and everyone knows it.

I think just by asking the question, you already have a good idea if a solo is too long or not. Your likely a better judge than you think.

NWBasser
January 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Well, apparently in the band that I'm in the guitar solos can never be long enough.:spank:

In my case, I can't say that the music is really served by extended solos.

I think it's time for a little conversation with the guitarist.

IMO, play as much of a solo as the music asks for and no more or less.

NWBasser
January 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Perhaps I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to keep it interesting beyond, say, a minute or two of straight guitar.

If you mean more than a minute or two of blazing speed, then it probably won't be interesting to most listeners. They'll be fatigued by that point. If your audience chooses to take their bathroom break during the big guitar solo, then some changes might be in order.

If you change it up and slow down, taking the listener on a journey so to speak, you can hold their attention. Tempo changes, dynamics, phrasing, etc. can all be used to gain and keep the listener interested.

I think if you have something to say with your guitar, rather than just spitting out notes, then your listener will be much more engaged.

Eric
January 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
IMO, play as much of a solo as the music asks for and no more or less.
I suppose that's the common-sense approach. Something in me wants to know how long that is, but I don't think that can be answered any more easily that a question like "why are some songs easier to solo over?"

There are probably many many reasons people go on for way too long. However, one reason I can understand is that sometimes there's more that I want to "say" with the guitar than what can fit in an 8-bar solo. I think that's one of the more difficult parts of knowing when to end it -- realizing that you can't say everything in every song.

NWBasser
January 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Another consideration is that a lot of players think in terms of a single guitar solo stuck into the middle of the song. There are many more possibilities though such as an intro solo, main solo, outro solo, etc.

With a rhythm guitar in the mix, licks and leads can be tastefully placed in all sorts of places. An example might be to develop a melody to track and fit the vocal chorus parts.

Fortunately, there are no hard and fast rules at play in music.

tjcurtin1
January 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
The answer is yes - it's about a minute short of when everyone in the audience gets sick of hearing it!

Algonquin
January 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
The answer is yes - it's about a minute short of when everyone in the audience gets sick of hearing it!
+1

... and if there isn't a rule, there should be!

Ch0jin
January 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM

HAHAHA that's awesome.

I was going to comment that based on the last jam I was at, I'd say around 2 hours is probably enough :)

deeaa
January 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I find that if I hear a good rock song and then later realize - hey - there wasn't a solo at all - I'm more likely impressed by that than vice versa.

I don't need all songs to have solos - I like playing some leads, but quite often I think many a song would work well as a 2,5 minute blast no solos or C parts. Done, and onto the next one...

Very rarely a solo works so well that I don't get bored listening to it if it's any longer than a few bars, as in a regular rock solo, 10-20 seconds. Usually the more progressive or planned, the less interesting. Angus Young is my favorite, not too long, nothing too fancy, just raw feeling. I seriously like solos like 'Still Got The Blues' or anything Vai ever did, although I can at the same time dig a lead _bit_ or melody here and there in the same vein.

oldguy
January 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Think of the solo as a short story. Think of your vocabulary of licks as words telling the story.

If "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" is all you can say, story's over. Say it twice, we get it. More than that, the solo's too long.:zzz

If, however you have a large vocabulary that keeps that short story interesting, play on, my friend, I want to hear more.:happy

Monkus
January 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Think of the solo as a short story. Think of your vocabulary of licks as words telling the story.

If "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" is all you can say, story's over. Say it twice, we get it. More than that, the solo's too long.:zzz

If, however you have a large vocabulary that keeps that short story interesting, play on, my friend, I want to hear more.:happy

Words of wisdom. !!!

stingx
January 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I find that if I hear a good rock song and then later realize - hey - there wasn't a solo at all - I'm more likely impressed by that than vice versa.

I don't need all songs to have solos - I like playing some leads, but quite often I think many a song would work well as a 2,5 minute blast no solos or C parts. Done, and onto the next one...

Ding!!! Ding!!!

Take Learn to Fly by the Foo Fighters as a great example.