PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231/jimi-hendrix-19691231

We all have our opinions....Brian May only #39? Joe Perry before Brian May (#69)?
Roger Waters #82?
They have their reasons but I and others would definitely disagree.
Where is Frampton and Alex Liefson? Surely somewhere near 100 but not even mentioned.
Kurt Cobain #12? WTF?

duhvoodooman
January 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I don't understand how anyone could possibly take this list seriously. Even allowing for a huge degree of subjectivity, the list is chock full of absurdities. For example, Kurt Cobain at #12 and Eddie Van Halen at #70??? Beyond laughable....

Retro Hound
January 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM
These Rolling Stone lists tend to be horrible. Way more on 'trendy' and less on talent.

Tig
January 12th, 2011, 01:34 PM
These Rolling Stone lists tend to be horrible. Way more on 'trendy' and less on talent.

Yep, you lost me at "Rolling Stone..."!
It was a cool mag in the 70's.

Roger Waters, as in the bass player?

Perfect Stranger
January 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
There is NO way that Jerry Garcia, Kurt Cobain, and Kirk Hammett are better
than Jeff beck. That's just laughable....

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
There is NO way that Jerry Garcia, Kurt Cobain, and Kirk Hammett are better
than Jeff beck. That's just laughable....
I totally agree! I know styles are apples and oranges but come on....Perry is a good guitarist but ordinary. So, there's ordinary guys on the list but to put Cobain, another ordinary guitarist IMO, above Beck is an insult to style and technique players everywhere.
I think they just about got it right wtih #1 though.

stingx
January 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
What's even more horrible/absurd is who gets nominated (or not) every year for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's shameful who have been eligible for over 15 YEARS and not even a nod and the shit they let in. For example, LL Cool J is nominated this year while RUSH still haven't been nominated. Sickens me to death.

The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011 were announced today. The nominees are:

· Alice Cooper
· Beastie Boys
· Bon Jovi
· Chic
· Neil Diamond
· Donovan
· Dr. John
· J. Geils Band
· LL Cool J
· Darlene Love
· Laura Nyro
· Donna Summer
· Joe Tex
· Tom Waits
· Chuck Willis

Bon Jovi deserve and will make the cut. Neil Diamond definitely deserves his place in there but most of the others do not, especially considering that a lot who were eligible years ago didn't get in yet - Rush, Kiss, Deep Purple, I can keep going...

Spudman
January 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Yep, you lost me at "Rolling Stone..."!

Ditto. I'm not even interested in this. I just had to say that.:hungry

R_of_G
January 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011 were announced today. The nominees are:

· Alice Cooper
· Beastie Boys
· Bon Jovi
· Chic
· Neil Diamond
· Donovan
· Dr. John
· J. Geils Band
· LL Cool J
· Darlene Love
· Laura Nyro
· Donna Summer
· Joe Tex
· Tom Waits
· Chuck Willis

Bon Jovi deserve and will make the cut. Neil Diamond definitely deserves his place in there but most of the others do not, especially considering that a lot who were eligible years ago didn't get in yet - Rush, Kiss, Deep Purple, I can keep going...

I'd hope that "most others do not" doesn't include Tom Waits or Joe Tex, particularly over Bon Jovi. I got nothing against Neil Diamond.