PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded "Hi, I'm new" thread...

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
So I'll cut to the bull shit.

My name is Brandon. I'm a guitarist/songwriter from Atlanta-ish, Georgia, and this may sound extremely cliche, but I absolutely love music with a passion, and it is literally one of the largest aspects of my life (ranks up there with family and friends). I'm a part of a few other guitar/music forums out there, but I always enjoy meeting new musicians and gathering up new insights or perspectives on music and life as we know it. So yeah, hopefully I didn't make too bad of a first impression...Haha, this seems like a cool forum. I like how it's not too overpopulated...or at least as far as I can tell. I always check out forums before I join them. I like to see what kind of people I'll probably be talking with, and the amount of people as well. With all of that rubbish said....HELLO, all!

Have a great day, life, year, week, whatever.

-Brandon

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Brandon,
as a relative newbie myself, I can say the folks here treat(ed) mean great!

Also, since your from Atlanta-ish and I'm from New Orleans-ish, let me wish the Falcons luck getting to the Super Bowl....only because the Saints hung themselves.

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ah man, It's funny you brought that up. I'm a huge falcons fan, but the rest of my family is from Seattle so you know I was happy about that one haha. Damn, the Saints really did screw themselves over. I was honestly hoping to see us play each other again in the playoffs for the third time this season. Saints should have won against the Seahawks, but I guess I can't complain since my two favorite teams are doing well.

Thanks for the reply, man. I can already see that this forum has my kind of people in it.

My girlfriend is from Lafayette which is funny as well. We actually made a visit to New Orleans together about a month ago. Honestly one of the coolest cities I've ever been to. You like it there?

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I love the Saints but unlike some fans, I want to see a team in my division win the big one. It would be selfish to wish for Seattle to win just to feel better about our loss but we deserved it. Being very honest now, I must say, last year was sooooo good, I can wait another 44 years.

I was born and raised in N.O., and moved to the burbs a bit more than a decade ago. My office was still in N.O. until that ***** Katrina came by and flooded it. So, I sold it and moved to the burbs where the taxes are less and the ground is just a tad bit higher.
What's not to like? People love to make fun of us for all kinds of things, like ladies exposing themselves during Mardi Gras (which are always tourists, not locals) but I do love the city. Don't do Mardi Gras much but I enjoy
spending time in the French Quarter and local drinking establishments. And we always love visits from people. Atlanta and N.O. have lots of similarities....probably more so than differences but our food and music is better. :dude

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I completely agree with you on that man (referring to the football topic).

And that's cool, man. I've learned a lot from Louisiana to be quite honest. The people are great, and you're right, the people here in Georgia and in Louisiana are very similar. There is certainly more of a culture where you come from though. Better food, and a better music scene like you said :]

I'll actually probably be moving to Louisiana with my girl in the next year to two years. I'm hoping to enroll into a music school in the state once I finish up my core college classes here in GA in the next year. Which brings me to a question: Do you know of any good music schools I could do some further research on in Louisiana? I've done some research, but I figure since you're from there and I met you on a music forum, you would probably be able to give me a little insight.

Monkus
January 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Welcome! :)

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Wow, that's one question I've never been asked....never been to music school myself and only took trumpet lessons in grammar school. Self taught guitarists and am teaching myself some mandolin (and both instruments show it) but never had the time to even think about it.
Most of the major universities have good 'school of music' departments since the good teachers want to come here for musical history purposes.
I have a friend that studied at Centenary College in Shreveport but don't know personally about any others.
I do know that the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts works with gifted, young children who have the zest and desire to learn. Many popular but behind the scenes legends have learned there.
I wish I knew more for you but I don't want to suggest something I don't know for sure.
Good luck to you.

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Thank you, Monkus :)

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wow, that's one question I've never been asked....never been to music school myself and only took trumpet lessons in grammar school. Self taught guitarists and am teaching myself some mandolin (and both instruments show it) but never had the time to even think about it.
Most of the major universities have good 'school of music' departments since the good teachers want to come here for musical history purposes.
I have a friend that studied at Centenary College in Shreveport but don't know personally about any others.
I do know that the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts works with gifted, young children who have the zest and desire to learn. Many popular but behind the scenes legends have learned there.
I wish I knew more for you but I don't want to suggest something I don't know for sure.
Good luck to you.
Well either way, I appreciate that. I still got a good bit of time to do some more research and consider certain paths I want to take in music. Thanks for the talk, man.

FrankenFretter
January 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Welcome aboard, Brandon! I've only seen Atlanta at night, and only a tiny section of it near the airport, but the people there were really nice. I even have an "Atlanta" shot glass that I bought at the airport, since I was stranded there overnight by Delta.

Someone is going to ask eventually, so I'll go ahead and be that guy: What gear do you have, and can you post pics? There, now that's out of the way...

sumitomo
January 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
FISH! Fresh Fish!!! LOL! Welcome Brandon! Sumi:D

Tig
January 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Look, another "I'm New" guy!
http://www.bartcop.com/haha.gif :poke

You sound like you have a good sense of humor, so I couldn't help myself.
Welcome to The Fret!
You'll find many of us have music in our souls and blood around here.

Tig
January 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Beerman, feel free to start a thread on what to do/not do, where to find great Cajun food, and best places for music in Nawlins.
The French Quarter is a must visit for any musician. I haven't been since the year before Katrina, but need to go back soon.

guitarhack
January 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the Fret. I have some relatives down that way and they love the area. Looking forward to your posts.

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Beerman, feel free to start a thread on what to do/not do, where to find great Cajun food, and best places for music in Nawlins.
The French Quarter is a must visit for any musician. I haven't been since the year before Katrina, but need to go back soon.
I could eat out every day and not get to eat at every good restaurant here but, my wife is an awesome cook (and I'm an awesome clean up guy) so we don't eat out much. I actually try to end up at a sushi restaurant when we do go out. How's that for being Naturally N'Awlins?

We thrive on tourists so come on down. As my name brags, I'll gladly share some brews with anyone who passes thru.

Katastrophe
January 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Welcome, Brandon! Glad to have you here.

My former bass player used to live in the French Quarter. Went down and spent some time down there, and had the time of my life. This was in the early 90s, long before Katrina.

I'd love to go down there with Mrs. Kat someday.

Tig
January 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome, Brandon! Glad to have you here.

My former bass player used to live in the French Quarter. Went down and spent some time down there, and had the time of my life. This was in the early 90s, long before Katrina.

I'd love to go down there with Mrs. Kat someday.

Um, I think new guy guitargrizz is from near Atlanta and Beerman is from NO.
Just sayin'.

sunvalleylaw
January 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Welcome Brandon! I hope you enjoy it here!

Katastrophe
January 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yep... Got that, but Beerman was talking about the Super Bowl, and New Orleans, and the conversation took a turn...:thwap

Beerman
January 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Yep... Got that, but Beerman was talking about the Super Bowl, and New Orleans, and the conversation took a turn...:thwap
My apologies. Every now and then, I hijack a thread. Thanks for keeping me in line. I shall try not to "deviate from the norm". :)

Tig
January 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM
My apologies. Every now and then, I hijack a thread. Thanks for keeping me in line. I shall try not to "deviate from the norm". :)

Nothing to apologize about (said one thread-jacker to another).

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Ah, the French Quarter was amazing. I was there not too long ago. A lot of good music and great food, as you already know. But yes, definitely a place to visit more than once.

guitargrizz
January 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Brandon! I've only seen Atlanta at night, and only a tiny section of it near the airport, but the people there were really nice. I even have an "Atlanta" shot glass that I bought at the airport, since I was stranded there overnight by Delta.

Someone is going to ask eventually, so I'll go ahead and be that guy: What gear do you have, and can you post pics? There, now that's out of the way...
I don't have a set of pictures of all my gear to be honest. Well, I'm sure I could gather some up if I looked through gig pictures from the past, but to be honest I don't feel like going through all that right now, so I'll just list the little bit of gear I have.

- Epiphone SG, Les Paul Custom (that's actually me in the avatar picture playing it)
- Squier Strat (first guitar I ever owned)
- Fender Acoustic
- Line Six Amp (I'm gathering up money to get me either a nice Fender Tube amp or some Marshall stacks, but honestly I pay for everything I got, so even though I work full time and do high school, that may take a bit longer than I had originally planned)

I have numerous foot pedals and such, but nothing too, extremely, beyond belief, classy...

I must say, I do love my little setup I have in my basement room. I may post some pictures of that later on tonight. It's my own little home hangout area and "recording studio"...minus the actual studio that is haha.

Katastrophe
January 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Nah... No need to apologize. It was my bad for taking the thread too off course.

kidsmoke
January 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the forum Grizz.

guitargrizz
January 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the welcomings, guys. Much appreciation.

Brian Krashpad
January 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome Brandon!

deeaa
January 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Cheers, always good to have new active people around here!

Redflame52
January 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ok here goes....I'm new here too, I'm Jane from southern Ontario, Canada. I'm an amateur songwriter/guitarist with more than 30 yrs experience lol.... It's the best hobby in the world for me...but...every now and then I go play in public to "test" a new song for a reaction or nonreaction lol.........for me it's all about being creative and having fun with it. I'm self-taught, I have a nice collection of guitars, my Fenders being the faves. Guess that's it for now...wasn't as hard as I thought...hehehe

Tig
January 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Redflame52. You will enjoy the place, I'm sure.

You deserve your very own introduction thread, so why not start one here:
http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13

NWBasser
January 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Welcome to TheFret Brandon and Jane!

Pull up a chair and have a beer.:beer: