PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Dream Supergroup?

Retro Hound
January 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
This thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=16956) got me to thinking about who would be in my dream supergroup.

I'll just throw this out there:

Chuck Berry - Guitar
Little Richard - Piano
Jerry Lee Lewis - Piano
With that much percussion, would you need a drummer or bass?

They could take turns singing and songwriting.

Jimi75
January 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM
With persons alive, I'd chose something like:

Vox - PINK
Guitar - Richie Kotzen
2nd guitar - John Mayer
Bass - Pino Palladino
Drums - Mike Portnoy
Keys - Stevie Wonder
Beatz - Timbaland

grungemaster
January 13th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Kurt Cobain-vocals, guitar
Ozzy - alternate vocals
Kim Deal- bass
Jimi Hendrix -guitar
Robert plant-alternate vocals
Izzy Stradlin- rhythm guitar
Axl rose-alternate vocals
Neal Peart-drums :rockya

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Just funnin here, but this is my screamo rock group:

Cobain, Brandi Carlile, Henry Rollins, Chris Cornell, Vedder

Vernon Reid, Joe Strummer, Kim Thayil, Jerry Cantrell

John Entwhistle, Flea, Geddy Lee

Neil Peart and/or Keith Moon

All the players of instruments could mix it up and take turns. All the vocalists could scream on.

EDIT: Just want to state I made these choices before I saw Grungeiceman's list. LOL! :thumbsup

I like Jimi75's group a lot too.

MAXIFUNK
January 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Drums: Dennis Chambers & Billy Cobham
Percussion: Pete Escovedo, Coke Escovedo, Larry Fratangelo
Bass: Larry Graham & Rodney "Skeets" Curtis,
Keys: Bernie Worrell & George Duke
Horns: 1A. The Horny Horns (James Brown & P-Funk)
1B. The Phoenix Horns (Earth,Wind, & Fire)
Guitars: Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Ernie Isley, Tosin Abasi
Vocals: Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Maurice White, Philip Bailey,
Chaka Khan, Aretha Franklin, Denise Williams

Band Leader: George Clinton or (Duke Ellington I just think it would be awesome to see what the greatest musical mind of the 20th century could come up with this much talent.)

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 10:24 PM
SVL and Jimi75 I like your lists a lot! Grungemaster's list also appeals to my tastes. What a triple bill that'd be :)

I like how you have a beats section Jimi. My super group would too. I'm a massive Wu-Tang fan so at a bare minimum RZA would be involved as well as ODB.

So how about...(just off the top of my head)

Dirty blues rock guitars from Dan Auerbach (Black Keys), maybe even some Jack White (White Stripes) and John Lee Hooker would be in there too.

Grungy and rocky sounds from maybe Donita Sparks (L7) and Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) as well as Allison Robertson (The Donna's) (and incidentally the hottest guitarist alive) and Knut Schreiner AKA Euroboy (Turbonegro)

Les Claypool (Primus) and/or Robert Trujillo (ST, IG and now Metallica) on Bass

Beth Gibbons (Portishead) Bon Scott (ACDC) Eddy Vedder (Pearl Jam) and lets say ODB and RZA (Wu-Tang) on Vox

DJ (beats and samples) covered by Allah Mathematics (Wu-Tang) and Terminator X (PE) with guest spots to Z-Trip

For production I'd work with both RZA (Wu Tang) and Al Jourgensen (Ministry) and of course you'd have to have Bob Rock around too.

Wow, thats a mess of dissimilar artists, probably end up as crap, but meh...

deeaa
January 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Heh, it depends on what genre...I wouldn't change anybody in Maiden lineup for instance for classic metal...

I have no idea. I don't think I believe in supergroups. I think every artist usually works best in their band and sometimes just changing the bassist ruins the band. Sometimes they can make a transition to another band and it works, like Cornell > Audioslave, but generally, it's always worse if they aren't in their own original bands.

When I REALLY think hard about it, though, there are some bands that would certainly be WAY better with changing ONE member. For instance Children of Bodom might be really good metal if Laiho didn't also have to 'sing' which for me totally destroys the band, can't listen to that whiny scratching.

Or in some cases if you changed the whole band and played the same music with completely different people, it'd work for me :-) for instance I can't stand Deep Purple but I love this Purple tribute album I have somewhere with players like Vernon Reid etc. doing excellent covers. I suppose the same would go for most bands of that style from Uriah Heep to Steppenwolf - somebdy should cover them bands and they could be excellent.

guitargrizz
January 13th, 2011, 11:20 PM
-bass: Flea (RHCP)
-drums: Carter Beauford (DMB)
-lead guitar: Joe Satriani
-rhythm/alternate guitar: John Mayer
-rhythm/alternate guitar: Stevie Ray Vaugn
-lead vocals: Brandon Boyd (Incubus)
-backup vocals and alternate guitar: Dave Grohl
-alternate vocals and piano: Elton John

Just some randoms I thought up :]

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I am liking this! I am adding Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) to my guitar guys, as I am listening to them on PBS, and he rocks. Also, I like his stage presence. Under-rated I feel.

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Heh, it depends on what genre...I wouldn't change anybody in Maiden lineup for instance for classic metal...

I have no idea. I don't think I believe in supergroups. I think every artist usually works best in their band and sometimes just changing the bassist ruins the band. Sometimes they can make a transition to another band and it works, like Cornell > Audioslave, but generally, it's always worse if they aren't in their own original bands.

When I REALLY think hard about it, though, there are some bands that would certainly be WAY better with changing ONE member. For instance Children of Bodom might be really good metal if Laiho didn't also have to 'sing' which for me totally destroys the band, can't listen to that whiny scratching.

Or in some cases if you changed the whole band and played the same music with completely different people, it'd work for me :-) for instance I can't stand Deep Purple but I love this Purple tribute album I have somewhere with players like Vernon Reid etc. doing excellent covers. I suppose the same would go for most bands of that style from Uriah Heep to Steppenwolf - somebdy should cover them bands and they could be excellent.

Good points. I immediately think of Metallica for two reasons.

Firstly bass players. I loved them with Cliff Burton but something about Jason Newstead just didn't sit with me. Now with Robert Trujillo I'm back on board.

Secondly regarding covers. I think my favorite post "black" album is actually Garage Inc which is ALL covers. Specifically their Mercyful Fate medoly. It's 11 minutes of freaking RIPPING guitar. I have the original version of all the MF songs covered and they are just out of date weaksauce in comparison. If anyone hasn't heard it, go hear HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr6EjIT4Hg) That pinch harmonic riff at about 1:30 is one of my favorites of all time. I've been trying to nail the riff from 3:54 for a while now too (which demonstrates how crap I am) but even after dozens and dozens of listens I still think it sounds epic.

(2 minute pause to play air guitar and drums along to that track......)

and we are back...

It's almost lynching talk, but there are Ramones covers I dig more than their originals purely because they have been updated to a more modern punk guitar sound. Check out Rancid's cover of "Sheena is a punk rocker" to see what I mean.

Ah well, it's also just occurred to me that "favorite covers" was a thread from late last year and I've gone and gone OT yet again..........

(seeing as though I'm already OT, I dunno how many times I've got funny looks with the stereo blasting and me singing the Metallica cover of "Turn the Page" at the top of lungs whilst driving around)

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2011, 12:02 AM
MxPx does some excellent Ramones covers.

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Oh excellent, I'll search them out!

deeaa
January 14th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Secondly regarding covers. I think my favorite post "black" album is actually Garage Inc which is ALL covers. Specifically their Mercyful Fate medoly. It's 11 minutes of freaking RIPPING guitar. I have the original version of all the MF songs covered and they are just out of date weaksauce in comparison. If...

Me too! In fact the Garage Days is one of the all-time favorites of mine; can't tell how many times I've heard all those songs Crash Course and Green Hell etc...a superb album indeed, and I always say it's easily Metallica's best, followed by Justice and Master and Ride between which I can never decide which is best. But beside those four, I don't like or listen to Metallica much at all. Never got the Black Album either, it's just too polished sounding to me I guess.

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Oh excellent, I'll search them out!

OT, but here ya go!

fANSm4Kyssg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANSm4Kyssg

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Me too! In fact the Garage Days is one of the all-time favorites of mine; can't tell how many times I've heard all those songs Crash Course and Green Hell etc...a superb album indeed, and I always say it's easily Metallica's best, followed by Justice and Master and Ride between which I can never decide which is best. But beside those four, I don't like or listen to Metallica much at all. Never got the Black Album either, it's just too polished sounding to me I guess.

I think we have pretty similar taste by the sounds. Good to know.

SVL, that ROCKS! thanks so much for that. An instant favorite.

guitargrizz
January 14th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Came up with another one that contains musicians who would compliment a similar genre of play:

-drums and backup vocals: Dave Grohl
-lead vocals: Chris Cornell
-guitar: Tom Morello (Rage)
-guitar: Chris Kilmore (Incubus)
-bass: James "Munky" Shaffer (Korn)

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Came up with another one that contains musicians who would compliment a similar genre of play:

-drums and backup vocals: Dave Grohl
-lead vocals: Chris Cornell
-guitar: Tom Morello (Rage)
-guitar: Chris Kilmore (Incubus)
-bass: James "Munky" Shaffer (Korn)

big thumbs up for that! I think that'd work nicely

guitargrizz
January 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Thank you, sir. Haha, my first one was really out there. Just a goofy combination of musicians I thought up. I'd stick with this one, heh.

R_of_G
January 14th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Drums: Dennis Chambers & Billy Cobham
Percussion: Pete Escovedo, Coke Escovedo, Larry Fratangelo
Bass: Larry Graham & Rodney "Skeets" Curtis,
Keys: Bernie Worrell & George Duke
Horns: 1A. The Horny Horns (James Brown & P-Funk)
1B. The Phoenix Horns (Earth,Wind, & Fire)
Guitars: Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Ernie Isley, Tosin Abasi
Vocals: Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Maurice White, Philip Bailey,
Chaka Khan, Aretha Franklin, Denise Williams

Band Leader: George Clinton or (Duke Ellington I just think it would be awesome to see what the greatest musical mind of the 20th century could come up with this much talent.)

Nicely done. I'd pay top dollar to see that show.

Here's my version of that style of band...

Drums: Al Foster, Clyde Stubblefield

Percussion: Cyro Baptista, Airto Morreira

Bass: George Porter, Jr., Michael Henderson

Keys: Larry Young, Herbie Hancock, Mulatu Astatke

Horns: Miles Davis (trumpet), King Curtis (saxophone), Maceo Parker (saxophone), Fred Wesley (trombone) , Lucien Dubuis (contra-bass clarinet)

Guitars: Pete Cosey, Prince, Steve Cropper, Leo Nocentelli

Vocals: Otis Redding, Etta James

Bandleader: Miles Davis

Commodore 64
January 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Drums: The guy from Def Leppard
Guitar: CeCe Deville and the 2 guys from Warrant.
Vox: Janis Joplin, Joe Bonamassa, and Enrico Palazzo
Harmonica: Alanis Morissette
Keyboards: John Popper (before he lost weight), and the instrument has to be that piano on the floor in the movie, Big.

Spudman
January 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The guys that I'd put together for a super group already found each other.

Transatlantic
http://www.transatlanticweb.com/images/transatlantic2009.jpg

Jimi75
January 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
SVL and Jimi75 I like your lists a lot! Grungemaster's list also appeals to my tastes. What a triple bill that'd be :)

I like how you have a beats section Jimi. My super group would too. I'm a massive Wu-Tang fan so at a bare minimum RZA would be involved as well as ODB.

So how about...(just off the top of my head)

Dirty blues rock guitars from Dan Auerbach (Black Keys), maybe even some Jack White (White Stripes) and John Lee Hooker would be in there too.

Grungy and rocky sounds from maybe Donita Sparks (L7) and Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) as well as Allison Robertson (The Donna's) (and incidentally the hottest guitarist alive) and Knut Schreiner AKA Euroboy (Turbonegro)

Les Claypool (Primus) and/or Robert Trujillo (ST, IG and now Metallica) on Bass

Beth Gibbons (Portishead) Bon Scott (ACDC) Eddy Vedder (Pearl Jam) and lets say ODB and RZA (Wu-Tang) on Vox

DJ (beats and samples) covered by Allah Mathematics (Wu-Tang) and Terminator X (PE) with guest spots to Z-Trip

For production I'd work with both RZA (Wu Tang) and Al Jourgensen (Ministry) and of course you'd have to have Bob Rock around too.

Wow, thats a mess of dissimilar artists, probably end up as crap, but meh...

Thanks Chojin! Your supergroup is smoking, too!

Jimi75
January 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
The guys that I'd put together for a super group already found each other.

Transatlantic
http://www.transatlanticweb.com/images/transatlantic2009.jpg

How come I knew that you were going to post that ;-)
:applause