PDA

View Full Version : Tab sites

broke okie
January 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hello all,
I'm a learn by ear type but a friend was asking me for a good web site for guitar tabs. (free) It seems that all the sites that he used to use have started charging. I think that it's fair to charge if the tab is spot on but not very many are. IMHO

Peace.

broke okie
January 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
No Help? I was hoping that someone would have a good tab site to go to. I've googled and found a few but wanted your opinion for tabs. If not for free, what's the best pay sites for GOOD tabs? Does anyone here have tabs for basic guitar licks? Anything would be appreciated!
Cheers.

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Well, it's not the response I think you're chasing exactly, but I don't use just one tab site. I just use Google and see what comes back. Then again I'm mostly just playing to amuse myself so accuracy is not a big concern to me.

These days I actually look to YouTube first. If the song is even vaguely popular there will be someone on there showing you how to play it. I find using YouTube like that at least lets you hear what the version sounds like, then you can decide if it sounds right rather then messing about with the tab only to find it doesn't sound right.

I think I get what your saying though. You'll often find a few different tab versions, and there's no confirmation any of them are correct. Totally hit and miss. It'd be nice to know that what you get is the real deal, but me personally, I've only seen artist approved version as books in music stores, and in guitar magazines.

As for basic guitar licks, I highly recommend Roberts site here (http://www.dolphinstreet.com/) and I've also learnt a few tricks from Mark Wein, who is also a forum member over at his site HERE (http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/index.php)

Hope that helps.

broke okie
January 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks Ch0jin
I've been keen to you tube also, kind of a visual thing. Can't get my friend to follow that. Some tabs can help you find a starting point though, so I can't totally diss them. I really appreciate those who put up tabs but as for me I would rather have a video show of how to play a lick. If not just put up the actual score. If you know your treble and bass clef you should be able to figure it out, right?

Thanks for the input

Cheers

guitargrizz
January 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
A tab site that I've always relied on to have the most accurate free tabs without having to download any sort of tablature software is guitartabs.cc

A lot of people may suggest tab sites like ultimate-guitar.com, which is fine, but you'll also find that a lot of the tabs aren't accurate, due to the fact that anyone and their mother can post a tab they may think is accurate onto a site like that.

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
A lot of people may suggest tab sites like ultimate-guitar.com, which is fine, but you'll also find that a lot of the tabs aren't accurate, due to the fact that anyone and their mother can post a tab they may think is accurate onto a site like that.

True-Dat. I good indication of a weak attempt at transcribing a song is if the entire song is tabbed as two finger power chords only ;)

broke okie
January 13th, 2011, 10:58 PM
True-Dat. I good indication of a weak attempt at transcribing a song is if the entire song is tabbed as two finger power chords only ;)

So what you're saying is tabs aren't good? Is there any sites with actually the scores of the song?

Ch0jin
January 13th, 2011, 11:33 PM
No not at all. Tabs are great!

Just saying that you will find -some- tabs that have just been thrown together by someone who was either too lazy, or inexperienced to transcribe the song properly from their ear to tab. Often a sign of that is when you see a song tabbed out using two finger power chords for every chord. Another indication are the tabs with notes like "Just play something in E for the solo and it should sound right" or "It sounds a bit like this but I can't be bothered to write it all out". You'll see things like that from time to time in tab world.

For musical scores I have no idea I'm afraid. I learnt to read music as a child learning violin but I've LONG forgotten how so I don't go looking for it.

I think though that if you want 100% accurate scores and TAB maybe your best bet are those books you get from record stores that are endorsed by the artist. I have the book for Kill 'em All and it's got more detail than any tab I've seen for the same songs. If you aren't sure what I'm batting on about, I mean books like THIS (http://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Ride-Lightning-Play-Like/dp/0895244942/ref=pd_sim_b_1)

guitargrizz
January 14th, 2011, 02:53 AM
^ +1. Tablature books are always a quality purchase. They provide spot on, accurate tabs, and because it's in a book you actually purchased, chances are you'll be really influenced to sit down and focus on learning the songs the band you like plays. At least that's how it is for me.

broke okie
January 14th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys
I'll pass this info on to my friend. As for me, I'll just keep my ears in tune and hope I don't ever lose my hearing.
Peace