PDA

View Full Version : my Intro..

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 09:19 AM
Well, due to popular request! ;)

I wanted to introduce myself..

I'm a 37 year old, married man, two kids a house and a mortgage!

I started playing guitar back in 1982 because I was a huge Van Halen fan but with in 6 months I sold my guitar to a friend, and bought a bass, as I turned into a huge Rush fan!

I played bass for some 10 years straight, ending when I finished college and got a real job. for 10 more years I dabbled with bass, but didn't play in any bands.. until about 2 years ago (some 23 years later), I decided to spend some hard earned income on a new bass. I ended up with a Fender MIA Jazz.. and have since sold that as now own a Custom Shop Jazz and I've got another Master built CS Jazz on it's way.

I also took back to learning the guitar again, and bought at first a Martin DM, then a Taylor GS, then a Martin D16.. then sold them all and got a D45V, which I absolutely love strumming.. My latest project is getting the Beatles "Nowregian Wood" down tight..

Any advice, comments, or critical words.. I'm all ears!

and, no .. alas I have no recordings..

r_a_smith3530
November 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Welcome to The Fret Bass2Guitar. I probably could have called myself the opposite (guitar2bass), as I started on the guitar and have come around to the bass. You can find my intro here (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=365).

Sounds like a sweet bass you've got coming. Please post pics of it (and your other axes of course) when it arrives. My collection is much more humble than yours. I've taken the approach of "greatest bang for the buck" in most of my instruments today. I also like to tinker, so, with the exception of my '85 Mahogany G&L L-2000, everything else I own has at least one change. On a couple of my instruments, even the body or neck has been altered to give it some unique quality that I was after.

Anyway, please let us know, aside from Rush and Van Halen, who are your influences. I can see Geddy Lee in your choice of the Fender Jazz, but where does a Martin D45 come from? What style of music are you going after with it?

Again, welcome.

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Well, you certainly have impeccable taste in axes!! But you definitely need a Strat, or Tele, or LP, or....

Anyway, welcome to TheFret!! :DR

aeolian
November 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Welcome!

Sounds exactly like me, except I'm quite a bit older.

My latest project is getting the Beatles "Nowregian Wood" down tight..

The song is played capoed on the second fret. The fingering for the verse is based on the D chord shape adding hammering on and fingering on the G, D, and A strings. The way I play it I stay in the D shape throughout the verse.

That will come.

aeolian

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks Robert..

Briefly.. Rush, The Who, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin were my "early" influences.. as I said, I started with guitar, but it was listening to Geddy's dominent style and later the Who that won me over to bass for all of those years. I now play "acoustic" guitar as I don't have the aspiration or time to master electric/lead guitar style..

As for today, a much more mature me still loves the hard rock, but I'm FAR more broad in taste now.

I'd say my all time favorite bassist now is the father of electric bass style James Jamerson, and as such I'm listening to Motown more, but I also like other "old school" R&B or what was called "Soul" back when I was a "rocker"... Stuff like Earth Wind and Fire, and the Commodores, etc..

I'm also listening to more easy rock, and acoustic rock.. really I like it all.

I'm growing into Jazz (new Jazz), as well as Classical music, and old school Country like Chet Atkins, Hank Williams Jr, and Charlie Daniels, et al.

I'd say with the sole exception of Hip Hop (wrap), and "new Country" I like it all.. Even Disco!

BTW, read your bio, and saw your musical instruments.. Nice stuff, I've always admired anyone who can appreciate a Fender bass!

Here are pics of my "current" axes, most of this stuff is a dream for me now, as when I was young I never dreamt I'd have the funds to buy it, so yes.. I'm ashamed to say, I've splurged on stuff that isn't "needed" in terms of making music. Missing is the capstone of my collection, the "Master Built" Jazz Bass is due in two or three months last time Dennis (Galuszka) and I talked. It's going to be a clear ebony black finish (nitro), with ebony fretboard, figured maple neck wood, ash body, and 9v active circuit.. a few other customizations as well.. I'll get pics when it comes.

In the mean time, here is my "current" setup.

http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum49.html

http://web.mac.com/sjsamaha/iWeb/Site/Martin%20D-45V.html

Tim
November 1st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Welcome Bass2Guitar. Seems like you are already experiencing information from fellow Fretters. Enjoy the forum.

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM
aeolian, thanks for the tip.. this is pretty much what I've discovered in tinkering with it... the trick is to get the chords to ring out nicely when moving away from the main D-chord shape. The Chorus however has been quite easy with Dm and G, followed by Dm Em and A..

warren0728
November 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
welcome b2g....i think you will like it here....

ww

Tone2TheBone
November 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM
Welcome! I am a huge Geddy Lee fan and thats why I love dabbling on a Jazz Bass on occasion as well. I might pick your brains sometime on Geddy licks. :)

SuperSwede
November 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome b2g.. another mac user I presume?

jpfeifer
November 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Bass2Guitar,

Welcome to the Fret.net.

Norwegian Wood is a great tune. I'm also a big Beatle fan. I'd bet the song sounds great on your new Martin.

-- Jim

Robert
November 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Welcome Bass2Geetar! You should have a good time in here - congrats again on that sweet Martin!

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Well, due to popular request! ;)

I wanted to introduce myself..

I started playing guitar back in 1982 because I was a huge Van Halen fan but with in 6 months I sold my guitar to a friend, and bought a bass, as I turned into a huge Rush fan!

I played bass for some 10 years straight, ending when I finished college and got a real job. for 10 more years I dabbled with bass, but didn't play in any bands.. until about 2 years ago (some 23 years later), I decided to spend some hard earned income on a new bass. I ended up with a Fender MIA Jazz.. and have since sold that as now own a Custom Shop Jazz and I've got another Master built CS Jazz on it's way.

I also took back to learning the guitar again, and bought at first a Martin DM, then a Taylor GS, then a Martin D16.. then sold them all and got a D45V, which I absolutely love strumming.. My latest project is getting the Beatles "Nowregian Wood" down tight..

Any advice, comments, or critical words.. I'm all ears!

Welcome sir! Add 7 years and a kid and you are like me, except your equipment is nicer. I am curious about your travels among Martin and Taylor guitars. I am casually shopping and refining my taste for when I can splurge on a Martin, Taylor, or the like. I have been looking at the D16R, a D-15 that I like the feel of, and a Larrivee D50 that has a really nice pickup in it. I am experimenting with what acoustic tones attract me as I fiddle around in the store, and have found that the D15 and Larrivee more easily fit into my hands somehow than the D16R, but I was told the D16R would be closer in tone the the D45. I want to want the D45 style tone, mostly because of Neil Young. Will go for the more tone for the buck approach, however, as I cannot at this stage in life, swing for all the beautiful abalone, etc. on your Martin. Maybe we could start a new thread on the topic of acoustic tone, defined roughly along the lines of famous Martins.

As to the forum, I was provided only a week or two ago a resounding welcome and lots of support. I am sure you will like it here and that the members will like having you here. Welcome.

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 02:53 PM
Hi Bass2Guitar,

Welcome to the Fret.net.

Norwegian Wood is a great tune. I'm also a big Beatle fan. I'd bet the song sounds great on your new Martin.

-- Jim

Thanks all..

Yup It sounds amazing! I only wish I could do it proper justice, but as with all things, practice makes perfect, and this guitar has me inspired!

Swede.. Yup, 6 years now.. haven't looked back! I love it for many reasons, and my wife who does photography part time loves the platform for her work.

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Welcome sir! Add 7 years and a kid and you are like me, except your equipment is nicer. I am curious about your travels among Martin and Taylor guitars. I am casually shopping and refining my taste for when I can splurge on a Martin, Taylor, or the like. I have been looking at the D16R, a D-15 that I like the feel of, and a Larrivee D50 that has a really nice pickup in it. I am experimenting with what acoustic tones attract me as I fiddle around in the store, and have found that the D15 and Larrivee more easily fit into my hands somehow than the D16R, but I was told the D16R would be closer in tone the the D45. I want to want the D45 style tone, mostly because of Neil Young. Will go for the more tone for the buck approach, however, as I cannot at this stage in life, swing for all the beautiful abalone, etc. on your Martin. Maybe we could start a new thread on the topic of acoustic tone, defined roughly along the lines of famous Martins.

As to the forum, I was provided only a week or two ago a resounding welcome and lots of support. I am sure you will like it here and that the members will like having you here. Welcome.

I've owned a DM, D16R, D42, a Taylor GS, and now the D45 all in the past year or so! :D

It took a lot of trial and error, and I've decided I only need one guitar as I'm not really a guitarist, so why not make it the King. I consolidated the D16R, D42 and Taylor into a D45v.. I'm done!

as for the 16R, I think it's the best bang for the buck Martin made.. best kept secret of the 16 line. they only make some 200 a year of them, as compared to a few thousand of the 16GT and other 16's with synthetic fretboards, bridges, and such.. The tone is not quite a D42, or D45.. but it's certainly Martin Dred.. Sounded a lot like a Taylor 910 I played a while back at Guitar Center.. I suppose the 16R's bolt on neck, and bracing design lends to it's Taylor-Like tone, a bit more mids, and treble.. not as much volume as the big Martin's.

Frankly, if I could do it again, and if I were limited to a D16R budget... I'd save another month or two, and spring for an HD-28, or better yet HD-28V..

The D-28 also isn't a bad choice, but I think the scalloped bracing system is critical to get that truly "authentic" pre-war tone.. the foreward shifted bracing also helps (HD-28V).

best of luck, and here are pics of my old 16R if you're interested in seeing one (I added the Waverly's as I don't care for the stock tuners).

http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum51.html

warren0728
November 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yup, 6 years now.. haven't looked back! I love it for many reasons, and my wife who does photography part time loves the platform for her work.
once you go mac...you never go back!! :D

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
once you go mac...you never go back!! :D

That's my line! And here I thought I was the only one who used it!

At last count, I've converted 11 people (two of them multi-unit companies) to Mac. All of them thank me for it every time we talk about it.

Best kept secret in computers.

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2006, 04:38 PM
That's my line! And here I thought I was the only one who used it!

At last count, I've converted 11 people (two of them multi-unit companies) to Mac. All of them thank me for it every time we talk about it.

Best kept secret in computers.

I bought my first mac in 1984 while at college. Had to use PCs for a short while at work, then went back when I became self employed. My brother who works at the Borg in Redmond, WA (Microsoft) calls me a fanatic. ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bass2Guitar]I've owned a DM, D16R, D42, a Taylor GS, and now the D45 all in the past year or so! :D

It took a lot of trial and error, and I've decided I only need one guitar as I'm not really a guitarist, so why not make it the King. I consolidated the D16R, D42 and Taylor into a D45v.. I'm done!

QUOTE]

B2G: I also like EWF, especially earlier Gratitude and Way of the World era stuff. I also like motown and Beatles and went through a phase (in High Scool) where I listened almost only to EWF, early Beatles and Stones, and jazz. Please when you have time go over your trial and error process you mention above, maybe over in jpfeifer's Acoustic tone thread, so I can learn from your process. I appreciate the advice so far.

Spudman
November 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Welcome B2G. Looks like you've already made some friends. It will be a pleasure having you hang out with us.

Bass2Guitar
November 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
My brother who works at the Borg in Redmond, WA (Microsoft) calls me a fanatic. ;)

The Borg! I love it! :D

I'll post a review of my evolution in the acoustic tone thread right now..

Hogfullofblues
November 1st, 2006, 07:45 PM
Hey there. That is one beautiful guitar. I'm new here too but sure you will find this forum and folks to be the best. Sounds like I should look into a mac.......

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
B2G, a pleasure to have another macintosh evangelist here :D
I´ve converted most of my & my wifes family to the teachings of Jobs. Everyone is very satisfied, and I dont have to spend any time fixing their computers anymore.