PDA

View Full Version : Brandnew Rocksong _ ThunderRain

Jimi75
January 14th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hey friends,

I'd be more than happy to get some feedback from you.

This is my first rocksong since I left the band and my first completed project in Apple's logic. :dance

I did what I can, so please be kind :-)

http://www.box.net/shared/ehupxm666g

Greetz
Jimi75

Tig
January 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Very nice, Jimi!
I like the composition/song structure, and the lead and rhythm guitar parts sound excellent. The guitar tone and delay are perfect.

Katastrophe
January 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Way cool! It's got a Southern US feel to it...and that's a good thing! Good songwriting, lyrics, singing, and the guitar playing... Well, there aren't enough superlatives in the English language to describe how well everything fits together so well.

This would make a great driving tune. Excellent work, Jimi! You sure you don't have any roots in Texas?

Algonquin
January 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Impressive Jimi :AOK

I especially liked the start on how if went right into it, then made a sweet transition after 16 bars... excellent stuff!

You should be very proud of this!

guitartango
January 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Nice guitar sound Jim, kinda reminds me of keeeeeffffffff.

helliott
January 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Great work here. Strong hook and melody. Guitar work is standout as usual. Cupla things I thought -- I'd like to hear what a real as opposed to virtual bass part would do for the tune. Also, there's a chord change that didn't quite sit right for me. It's the second line of the chorus, where you sing sweetness and pain. Whatever chord is under pain doesn't seem quite right, or maybe it's the bass notes used with that chord. Minor thing, and possibly all in my noggin, but I thought it worth observing.
Wish to heck I could write half that well. Very cool tune. :applause :dude

Jimi75
January 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Great work here. Strong hook and melody. Guitar work is standout as usual. Cupla things I thought -- I'd like to hear what a real as opposed to virtual bass part would do for the tune. Also, there's a chord change that didn't quite sit right for me. It's the second line of the chorus, where you sing sweetness and pain. Whatever chord is under pain doesn't seem quite right, or maybe it's the bass notes used with that chord. Minor thing, and possibly all in my noggin, but I thought it worth observing.
Wish to heck I could write half that well. Very cool tune. :applause :dude

Hey man, thanks for your kind feedback. I have relistened a couple of times now, but there's nothing wrong with the bass notes. It's a change from Eb minor to Gb minor which is all in Emajor. It's not the most common chord change, but I had the vocals in mind and played the chords that fit. Yeah, a real bass...maybe someone here on the forum wants to play a real bass to the tune, I could bounce it without bass of course.

deeaa
January 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
WHoa! Superb tune. And funny coincide with the starting riff - I read the song title and hit play and it sounds almost exactly as one of my favorite Finnish poprock songs of late, 'Salty Rain':

d0zFJ71hGH4

Especially like the vocals, but it's just slightly off in the higher parts. The vocal work needs a tad more attitude there - it'd be absolutely top notch if the last words didn't always go down in note too, you know RA-in, PA-in, if it were unwaveringly just one note pain, rain, and assertively in pitch it'd be way more hard-hitting. I'd use basically just two-three notes for each line in the whole chorus for vox, and it'd be a hit tune 4 sure. And a touch of autotune. But, completely enjoyable a tune and the sort of honest pop-rock style I really like a lot.

helliott
January 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Hey man, thanks for your kind feedback. I have relistened a couple of times now, but there's nothing wrong with the bass notes. It's a change from Eb minor to Gb minor which is all in Emajor. It's not the most common chord change, but I had the vocals in mind and played the chords that fit. Yeah, a real bass...maybe someone here on the forum wants to play a real bass to the tune, I could bounce it without bass of course.

Well, then, you had the thing scoped out, so bravo. As I said, great tune.

Jimi75
January 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM
WHoa! Superb tune. And funny coincide with the starting riff - I read the song title and hit play and it sounds almost exactly as one of my favorite Finnish poprock songs of late, 'Salty Rain':

d0zFJ71hGH4

Especially like the vocals, but it's just slightly off in the higher parts. The vocal work needs a tad more attitude there - it'd be absolutely top notch if the last words didn't always go down in note too, you know RA-in, PA-in, if it were unwaveringly just one note pain, rain, and assertively in pitch it'd be way more hard-hitting. I'd use basically just two-three notes for each line in the whole chorus for vox, and it'd be a hit tune 4 sure. And a touch of autotune. But, completely enjoyable a tune and the sort of honest pop-rock style I really like a lot.

Thanks for your input deaa. I will see if I can send some verses through something like autotune, if Logic offers such. Getting your okay regarding the composition is really great! And that Finnish band rocks.

GREENMACHINE
February 24th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Very catchy! Its got me singing along to it hehe I love it! Great job man :) and awesome guitar work and guitar tone..makes me wanna drool haha

GREENMACHINE
February 24th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I've been listening to this song over and over again, and what about to maybe add some more punch and dynamics in the chorus by doubling up the vocals either for all the chorus or just certain parts of the chorus e.g certain words or whatever? Just a thought I had to thicken up the vocals a little to make the chorus jump out a little bit more

Jimi75
February 24th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I've been listening to this song over and over again, and what about to maybe add some more punch and dynamics in the chorus by doubling up the vocals either for all the chorus or just certain parts of the chorus e.g certain words or whatever? Just a thought I had to thicken up the vocals a little to make the chorus jump out a little bit more

Definitely a great idea. Thank you for your very kind comment on the song.