PDA

View Full Version : Anybody make a nitrocellulose-friendly guitar stand???

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
If they do, I'm apparently looking in the wrong place. I see lot of them that specifically state "not for nitrocellulose finishes", but have yet to find one that states it's safe/compatible with them....

Obviously, I can always wrap fabric of some type around the contact points on one of my current stands, but it just seems odd that nobody sells such a stand. Given that such guitars are typically premium-priced and such a stand would likely command a higher price as well, this would seem to be an obvious opportunity for some savvy entrepreneur!

Katastrophe
January 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
How about this: buy 3 DVM pedals, and receive a FREE Duhvoodooman NitroSaver Guitar stand!

You can keep that, if you decide to use it...:)

Or, one could devise some terrycloth covered sleeves to fit over the bottom tines of the stand, with a velcro wraparound for the "C" shaped top.

otaypanky
January 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I sewed up some leather sleeves for mine, works well

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I sewed up some leather sleeves for mine, works wellLeather, huh? Great idea! Geez, how'd you ever think of that?? ;)

Algonquin
January 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
An automotive shammy might be an inexpensive and relatively easy material to work with.

Rather than using a needle, you might try using the heat activated iron hem seal tape.

stingx
January 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
A ShamWow will work splendidly.

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
OK I'm an idiot, but why do you need a special stand for a nitro finish?

Zip
January 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
This one (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5BP8Mgt5jJgJ:www.moyersonline.com/products/ultimate-support-gs-1000-guitar-stand+nitrocellulose-friendly+guitar+stand&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) is supposed to be nitro-friendly.

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
OK I'm an idiot, but why do you need a special stand for a nitro finish?
You're not an idiot. You're just astonishingly ignorant. ;)

Now bear with me--I'm a chemist by training. Many plastics, rubbers and elastomers get their soft, supple character from the incorporation of additives called plasticizers into their formulations. These are generally high boiling liquids that are basically dissolved in the polymeric matrix of the base material and render it more pliable. For example, much of that clear plastic tubing you might see in laboratories is PVC, a plastic that is intrinsically stiff (as used in PVC pipe or siding), but is softened by the addition of plasticizers--chemicals like dialkyl phthalates and the like.

You know that film that forms on the inside of your car's windshield in hot, sunny weather? That's plasticizer that "cooks" out of the vinyl covering of your dashboard and deposits on the inside of the glass. The point is that this stuff isn't "locked" into the plastic or rubber--it can migrate to the surface and interact with materials that come in contact with it. In the case of nitrocellulose finishes, it apparently dissolves into the finish and plasticizes it, which is why so many people have described contact with these stands making the finish "sticky" at the points of contact. For you fisherman, if you've ever seen what leaving a plastic worm in contact with certain types of plastic boxes will do, then you'll know what I mean. Basically the same phenomenon.

Ch0jin
January 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Gotcha.

As a hobby photographer I have to be careful what materials the containers I store prints in for similar reasons. Plenty of paper and cardboard has nasty chemicals in them that mess up prints, ditto some plastics.

I really should have put 2 and 2 together there....But I'm only a colonial :)

otaypanky
January 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
That's why I always dust my blow up doll with talcum powder before I put her away ~ :rolleyes:

riverrick
January 15th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Wouldn't a wooden stan work. I got one the last time I was at Taylors.

oldguy
January 15th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Anybody make a nitrocellulose-friendly guitar stand???

Yes, they do.
They have nice heavy latches, plush lining, and a little satin sheet cover in them.
And that's where 'bursts are kept when they're not played.

That way the headstocks don't break.:poke

ZMAN
January 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I just buy the regular stand and wrap a good quality cloth around the foam at the bottom. I use a similar cloth to "drape" over the top. No issues so far.
I went through this a while back looking for a stand. On my 2008 Studio I had to be very careful because the nitro was only months old. Once they are cured for a couple of years they are much more resistant. But I won't put them near anything other than cloth. I know I am anal about it but I don' even stand them against an amp.

wingsdad
January 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I get adhesive-backed brown felt sheets, about 6" x 14", packs of 2, I think, by 3M, at Lowe's or Home Depot in the aisle with all the crap like chair tips, casters, etc., cut pieces to fit and cover the contact surfaces of the rubber yokes of the stands. Eventually, the adhesive dries out; just dab some rubber cement or such and reglue them.

Cloth athletic tape works, too.

Tone2TheBone
January 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Anybody make a nitrocellulose-friendly guitar stand???

Yes, they do.
They have nice heavy latches, plush lining, and a little satin sheet cover in them.
And that's where 'bursts are kept when they're not played.

That way the headstocks don't break.:poke

Word.

ZMAN
January 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM
When I was looking for a stand for mine, I seem to remember someone saying that Surgical tubing would work. They take the foam padding off and put the tubing in it's place. You could check that out. I think that the tubing does not have the same components as the foam. Being a chemist you would probably know more about that.

otaypanky
January 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
That's what was on mine, surg tubing. I don't know if it eats into a finish but it does definitely dry up and crack away. I got tired of replacing it ~

marnold
January 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
That's why I always dust my blow up doll with talcum powder before I put her away ~ :rolleyes:
Great, now I'm going to have nightmares.

The whole stand thing shows what I don't get about nitro finishes. They had better make a guitar sound demonstratively 1000x more awesome because it is otherwise an inferior finish in every way. It doesn't protect well, it can actually freeze and shatter (as George Lynch about that one), and according to some it is a carcinogen. Other than that, it's awesome.

Oh, and if I hear from one more person that it allows the wood to "breathe," I'm going to punch them right in the nose.

Eric
January 16th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Oh, and if I hear from one more person that it allows the wood to "breathe," I'm going to punch them right in the nose.
Over the internet? Can you please make a video of that?

Ch0jin
January 17th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Over the internet? Can you please make a video of that?

And if you have a technique for punching over the net, I can direct you to many, many people on YouTube who have it coming.....

otaypanky
January 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Here's a pic of those sleeves I sewed up

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/DSCF0001.jpg

duhvoodooman
January 23rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Now, THAT I like, Bob! :dude :thumbsup