PDA

View Full Version : Final list of ProgPositivity's Top 20 Album Recommendations for 2010

Spudman
January 14th, 2011, 10:41 AM
20 Ranjit Barot - Bada Boom

You may have already heard drummer Ranjit Barot performing on John McLaughlin's 2008 album "Floating Point". McLaughlin returns the favor by making a guest appearance on this album as well. Barot grew up with one foot firmly planted in traditional Indian music and the other in Western Jazz Fusion. Although he plays a traditional "drum kit", he never loses touch with his Indian roots. Excellent fusion of Jazz and Rock, East and West!

19 Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt One

Pain of Salvation surprised everyone in 2010 with an album that shed their metal influences… (Yes, I said shed not shred...) finding their inspiration in classic 1970's blues-rock, funk and prog rather than metal.

18 Pat Metheny - Orchestrion

Pat Metheny pushes the limits of live guitar performance with what he calls Orchestrionics. Using guitar and various pedals to trigger a myriad of sounds, the result is astoundingly personal and organic. This has really grown on me and I feel ashamed that I didn't help it place higher in the rankings.

17 Roswell Six - Terra Incognita: A Line In The Sand

Composer, producer and all-around keyboard wizard Erik Norlander (Rocket Scientists) works in collaboration with bestselling sci-fi writer Kevin J. Anderson to release prog concept album & original novel companion set "Terra Incognita: A Line in the Sand"! Of course, Norlander invites his wife, Lana Lane (vocals) to the party. Other star participants include James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Michael Sadler (Saga), John Payne (Asia), David Ragsdale ( Kansas ) Martin Orford (IQ) and more.

16 Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape

While the music on Seventh Wonder's fourth album remains every bit as prog-metal as that of their their contemporaries (Symphony X, et. al.), a greater emphasis on hooks and melodies inspires a measure of restraint, resulting in a more complete album (IMNSHO of course)...

15 stOrk - stOrk

Shane Gibson (guitar/KoRn) taps, sweeps, picks, riffs and generally shows off his guitar prowess like never before on this collection of hard rock instrumental gems. Drummer Thomas Lang impeccably drives the music forward.

14 Spiritual Beggars - Return to Zero

Stoner hard rock that turns the audio-clock back to the classic sounds of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep. You just gotta love it... or not! ;-)

13 RPWL - The Gentle Art Of Music

2 CD retrospective set from German group spans the first decade of their career. On CD #1 hear the band grow and mature as they venture from their Pink Floyd tribute roots even while retaining the spacious, breathtaking style that inspired them in the first place. CD #2 affords the band the opportunity to reinterpret previous works with gentle, ethnic, stripped back, and even acoustic arrangements.

12 Yezda Urfa - Yezda Urfa Live NEARfest 2004

Yezda Urfa's - A curious blend of Gentle Giant's compositional complexity and quirkiness with melodic and vocal stylings more often associated with the band Yes. Their cosmically comic lyrics actually make Jon Anderson's musings appear imminently intelligible! This prog underdog waited over a decade before getting discovered by Syn-Phonic records. Live NEARfest 2004 affords newcomers the opportunity to hear some of their most revered compositions lovingly and faithfully recreated in the live setting. Long-time fans will enjoy hearing both the maturity and vitality of the band on these live recordings which in many respects sonically surpass those of the original low budget studio albums.

11 Steve Hackett - Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth

Yet another high quality 21st Century prog album from the ex-Genesis guitarist. While Hackett was always an excellent guitarist, his songwriting and vocals often left something to be desired. But Hackett seems to have found a comfortable vocal space lately, one which plays particularly very well on this album. Female vocals add a nice touch as well. Although songwriting may never be his strongest point, there is no denying palpable improvements in this area as well. Previous Genesis alumnus Anthony Phillips contributes 12 string guitar. Chris Squire also makes a couple of guest appearances on bass.

10 Dean Watson - Unsettled

Progressive Jazz Rock Fusion from Canada. There is a general rule of thumb about being wary of self-produced "one-man bands". No matter how visionary or creative the individual, far too often something integral to the final result (production, mixing, drums, songwriting) inevitably suffers. How Dean Watson managed to avoid such a common trap seemed like an mystical puzzle until the truth finally emerged. This was NOT a "one-man-band" after all! Rather than settle for whatever rhythms he could bang out, Watson was wise enough to invite drummer Barry Connors to the sessions, making the drums truly come alive on his first solo album. I - for one - am glad he "Unsettled"! (Ancient Chinese secret, huh?)

Spudman
January 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM
9 George Bellas - The Dawn of Time

Hard rockin' guitar wizards tend to create relatively static structures over which they endlessly noodle (albeit with breathtaking acumen) to their heart's content. As usual, it is the compositions that set Bellas apart from the rest of the guitar genius field on "The Dawn of Time". The concept may be a bit heady... After all, it is hard to come up with anything bigger than the beginning of time and all of creation. In the end, however, all that matters is Bellas' uncanny ability to craft counterpoint lines which naturally syncronize with memorable melodies even while leaving ample room to jam like a virtuosic maniac that makes this album such a fun listening experience!

8 Uz Jsme Doma Jeskyne (Caves)

Is it only because Uz Jsme Doma prominently features trumpet on energetic songs that sometimes emphasize the up-beats that the 1990's infected brain of this Texas resident keeps wanting to connect musical dots back to "third-wave" USA Ska and/or Latin American music. Perhaps the more natural comparison is to some of the more complex math-punk rock. Those who remain unconvinced to abandon their grudge against punk for killing prog will certainly miss out on a gem here. Prog didn't "die" after all. And punk went on to shed its nihilistic roots. Welcome to the 21st Century!

7 Modest Midget The Great Prophecy Of A Small Man

While it is admittedly impressive any time a progressive band pens memorable and captivating melodies, the true genius of Modest Midget is not that they write such compellingly clever and quirky tunes. Nor is that they somehow manage to imbue these tenaciously catchy melodies with rich vocal harmonies and arrangements (reminiscent of XTC's greater works). No. Their true stroke of genius is that they have achieved these distinctions while simultaneously introducing bold harmonic tonalities into the mix (in the tradition of Gentle Giant) to create some of the most intelligent and cogent progressive pop music I've heard in a long long time.

6 Salem Hill Pennies in the Karma Jar

Fresh off the heels of "Mimi's Magic Moment", arguably the most ambitious and masterful symphonic prog rock album of the band's storied history, Salem Hill followed up in 2010 with "Pennies in the Karma Jar", a collection of concise songs which unabashedly aspired to tickle our ears with tight vocal harmonies, move our toe-tapping feet with infectious grooves, and impress our 'inner musician' with tasteful displays of talent, all while audaciously daring to even go as far as to shamelessly appeal to "the dark side" of prog fans everywhere through (gasp!) catchy sing- along melodies!

5 Spock's Beard - X

In 2010, Spock's Beard scores a "ten" with their tenth studio album "X"! Will Nick D'Virgilo ever emerge from the large shadow cast by former band leader Neal Morse? Probably not. But his vocals are certainly more comfortable and assured than ever. Isn't it really about time for fans to start evaluating Spock's Beard on their own post-Morse terms? Unless you simply can't tolerate the fusion of pop, modern rock or grunge sensibilities with prog, there is much to fall in love with on this album!

4 Kaipa - In the Wake of Evolution
Hand Lundin's songwriting and production shine like sterling. Swedish folk blends with Prog and even AOR without ever veering into the dreaded zone of the tired jam-fest.

3 Glass Hammer - If

If you can listen beyond the patent similarities of Jon Davison's voice to that of a certain Yes vocalist, you will be wonderfully rewarded with a rich collection of classic retro-prog. Truth be told, there is parhaps as much Genesis as there is Yes in these tunes - even palpable dashes of Keith Emerson thrown in. If you can "let go" of your committment to rewarding only the most original and unique artists in favor of enjoying the sheer excellence of well crafted symphonic rock music, it is hard not to get swept away by the emotion and majesty of it all.

Then again, those are big "If's", hence the album's name? Why do I get the feeling that somewhere out there, Steve Babb is savagely swinging a light-saber exhulantly shouting the words "Starcastle, eat your heart out!!!"

2 Tinyfish - The Big Red Spark

From the earliest moments of the spoken word sequence from the album's opening song "The Loose Ends", willing prog travelers are immediately swept into a musical tale as amazing as it is mysterious. For it is in this very first song that we meet a tired, wistful professor, a man haunted by impending horrors of his own creation. What is this single wish that he's granted to everyone? What is the foreboding significance of his allusion to Nietzsche's morbid musings about all living things, once perfected, culminating in death wishes? (I won't spoil the story for you. Buy thealbum and enjoy the ride! If at first, the dreamlike fantasy eludes you, enjoy a second listen. Allow the subtlety, the flow and the intricacy of the design to make itself known. Then cheat like I did and read up on the back-story at tinyfish dot org!)

I honestly don't believe I am overstating matters in the least when I say that the thespian spoken word elements of this album rival those of the greatest concept albums of all time and simply are not to be missed. Listen and see if you don't agree.

1 Unitopia - Artificial

I'll confess. This one wasn't my vote for #1 but that doesn't mean it isn't a really high quality album! This modern art-rock band from Australia captivated the attention of listeners and motivated the ProgPositivity playlists like no other band in 2010. And not without cause. Their vocalist is top-notch (something we don't always hear in prog...) The lyrics are thoughtful. And their style is best described as disciplined, focused and selectivelyeclectic. Hey, they aren't even afraid to wear their love for the Beatles like a badge of courage on "Nothing Lasts Forever".

Tig
January 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
While I certainly haven't listened to most on the list, I'll give a nod to Spock's Beard - X.

R_of_G
January 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
The Ranjit Baort album sounds like one I should check out. Thanks Spud.

Spudman
January 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
The Ranjit Baort album sounds like one I should check out. Thanks Spud.

You're welcome.

If I were you, considering your eclectic taste in music, I'd go to some of these My Space or band home pages and listen to them. I think you'd find some more hidden gems. Tinyfish is really good, Salem Hill, RPWL, and so is the Glass Hammer.

R_of_G
January 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM
You're welcome.

If I were you, considering your eclectic taste in music, I'd go to some of these My Space or band home pages and listen to them. I think you'd find some more hidden gems. Tinyfish is really good, Salem Hill, RPWL, and so is the Glass Hammer.

I'll take that advice and check some of these bands out. I'm always open to new music.

guitarhack
January 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks Spud! I'm always on the lookout for new frontiers in music to explore.

Tig
January 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Got to listen to
RPWL - The Gentle Art Of Music
and
Tinyfish - The Big Red Spark
tonight, and I'm really enjoying both.
Thanks for the recommendations, Spud!

Tig
January 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Listening to Glass Hammer - If tonight.
Very Yes-like, but impressive on its own. Yes was a big influence on me in the 70's. I agree that it also sounds a little like Genesis (pre-pop era) at times.
:digit

Spudman
January 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Glass Hammer is awesome. Inconsolable Secret is a very satisfying album too.

Dean Watson
January 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Spudman,

re:

How Dean Watson managed to avoid such a common trap seemed like an mystical puzzle until the truth finally emerged. This was NOT a "one-man-band" after all! Rather than settle for whatever rhythms he could bang out, Watson was wise enough to invite drummer Barry Connors to the sessions, making the drums truly come alive on his first solo album. I - for one - am glad he "Unsettled"!

I have to say first off, thanks so much for putting me on the list! I am honoured and blessed. But I have to correct you. I'm not sure where you got your information, but Barry Connors had nothing to do with "Unsettled". I painstakingly programmed and 'tapped' those drum parts in by hand. It was all done using a midi controller, a table top, and a laptop. I'm glad that some people might have been fooled by this - I guess it means I did an ok job at it. That was my goal.

Thanks again!

Spudman
January 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Dean

This was on the Prog Positivity web site forum. It's not my list.

I'm glad we could bring some notice to your music. That is why I posted the list. I haven't heard your record, but if it is on this list I can bet that it's good and eventually I'll be listening to it. My hat is off to you for doing it all yourself and glad that you came on to our forum.

Dean Watson
January 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Dean

This was on the Prog Positivity web site forum. It's not my list.

I'm glad we could bring some notice to your music. That is why I posted the list. I haven't heard your record, but if it is on this list I can bet that it's good and eventually I'll be listening to it. My hat is off to you for doing it all yourself and glad that you came on to our forum.

I'm glad to be here too! I'm a guitar nut and have built a few myself. This place is great. I'm going to spend more time searching it on the weekend when I get a bit of time.

Btw - I'll let Prog Positivity know. Thanks for telling me.

Spudman
January 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Dean - I just listened to a few of your tunes on your Myspace page. Really great stuff.:thumbsup However, you may want to bring the vocals up in the mix a bit. I can hardly hear them. :rollover (folks, there are no vocals just awesome playing) Is that all stuff from Unsettled?

http://www.myspace.com/deanwatson2

Dean Watson
January 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
All of it is "Unsettled" except the newest one "Underpass" which is a tune of my upcoming CD "Imposing Elements".

You can get a better (quicker) listen in at www.soundcloud.com/dean-watson

If you like what you hear you can always purchase it at cdbaby, or download it just about everywhere. I also recently started distributing it out of Kinesis.

http://www.kinesiscd.com/storeframe1.htm

Thanks Steve!

Tig
January 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
Listened to Unitopia - Artificial last night. Not my favorite, but there are some moments of musical mastery that I really loved.

Spudman
January 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
It took me a few listens to warm up to it too. I've found that when I have my player on shuffle and a Unitopia song comes on I seem to think more highly of it than listening to the whole album at once.

Spudman
January 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dean

Your Unsettled record made another top list. Congratulations.

The following is the Top 100 as voted by the listeners of the
Gagliaarchives radio show (www.gagliarchives.com). The Top 100 is
presented over 3 shows in December so it may include some 2009 albums
that were released late in the year and also may exclude some 2010 due
to the same timing issue.

1 Hypnos69 - Legacy
2 Star One - Victims Of The Modern Age
3 District 97 - Hybrid Child
4 Univers Zero - Clivages
5 Agents Of Mercy - Dramarama
6 Steve Hackett - Out Of The Tunnel's Mouth
7 Haken - Aquarius
8 Pinkroom - Psychosolstice
9 James Labrie - Static Impulse
10 Glass Hammer - If
11 Morphelia - Waken The Nightmare
12 Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
13 Spock's Beard - X
14 Quantum Fantay - The Bridges Of Kukuriku
15 Eloy - Visionary
16 Lunatic Soul - II
17 John McLaughlin & The 4th Dimension - To The One
18 Kingfisher Sky - Skin Of The Earth
19 Aspera - Ripples
20 Lucifer Was - The Crown Of Creation
21 Canvas Solaris - Irradiance
22 Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned
23 Helmet Of Gnats - High Street
24 Kaipa - In The Wake Of Evolution
25 Nick Magnus - Children Of Another God
26 Demians - Mute
27 Richard Pinhas - Metal/Crystal
28 Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony
29 The Psychedelic Ensemble - The Myth Of Dying
30 Yngwie Malmsteen - Relentless
31 La Maschera Di Cera - Petali Di Fuoco
32 Therion - Sitra Ahra
33 Ephemeral Sun - Harvest Aorta
34 K2 - Black Garden
35 Opeth - Live At Royal Albert Hall
36 FromUz - Seventh Story
37 The Watch - Planet Earth?
38 Anima Mundi - The Way
39 Frogg Cafe - Bateless Edge
40 Jeff Beck - Emotion & Commotion
41 Hawkwind - Blood Of The Earth
42 Alex Machacek/Marco Minnemann - 24 Tales
43 Elephant9 - Walk The Nile
44 Dungen - Skit I Allt
45 Tohpati Ethnomission - Save The Planet
46 Spiritual Beggars - Return To Zero
47 CloverSeeds - The Opening
48 Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
49 California Guitar Trio - Andromeda
50 Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back
51 Stick Men - Soup
52 Erik Norlander - The Galactic Collective
53 Radio Massacre International - Time & Motion
54 Doubt - Never Pet A Burning Dog
55 Gary Husband - Dirty And Beautiful Volume I
56 Lenny White - Anomaly
57 Unitopia - Artificial
58 Polite Refusal - Geese And Swans
59 My Brother The Wind - Twilight In The Crystal Cabinet
60 Karnivool - Sound Awake
61 Mars Hollow - Mars Hollow
62 Yugen - Iridule
63 The Pineapple Thief - Someone Here Is Missing
64 Steve Tibbetts - Natural Causes
65 Mats/Morgan Band - The Music Or The Money?
66 Fatal Fusion - Land Of The Sun
67 Levi/Werstler - Avalanche Of Worms
68 The Claudia Quinet - Royal Toast
69 Trey Gunn/Marco Minnemann - Modulator
70 Rational Diet - On Phenomena And Existences
71 Incandescent Sky - Four Faradays In A Cage
72 Electric Orange - Krautrock From Hell
73 Pat Metheny - Orchestrion
74 Mike Keneally/Marco Minnemann - Evidence Of Humanity
75 Phlox - Talu
76 Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit
77 Djam Karet - The Heavy Soul Sessions