PDA

View Full Version : How big is too big (PC monitor)?

deeaa
January 15th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm looking to get a new PC monitor. Currently I have a 1600x1200 21" and a 1280x1024 19", and they're on the wall a bit over 2 feet away from the desk edge. They always seem too small for me, and I find I'm leaning in to see better when editing and/or zooming constantly in waveforms.

I would also like to have a screen big enough to watch some videos, films etc. off the Internet also in the basement where my PC/studio is at, and this would take place some six-seven feet from the monitor.

I figure it would either be a 32" or 27". I've been looking at both, in stores even a 32" doesn't look that big but then again my buddy has a 24" and it seems pretty big on his desk at least. SO I've been mostly looking at 27" size. The 32's are also actually TV's but have very similar LCD screens anyway (slightly older generation though), and the price is about the same for a nice monitor and a little bigger TV (~350 or so for brand stuff). (price isn't any issue, I'm getting one basically 4 free, been doing some favors and will call one in for this).

So I'm asking - do people use a HD TV for monitoring up close? Is 32" too big for that 2 feet away? How about 27"? Does that feel painfully small for movies etc? (because when I got a 42" HD plasma TV it seemed big to me the first week but now I'd get a 50" or 60" or something bigger anyways for TV use...I know how easy it is to get used to bigger screens..The resolution is the same for all, regular 1080p HD, so in vertical I'm actually losing resolution changing for a bigger monitor. BUT I'll likely keep the 21" on the side as I like twin monitors for mixer view etc. very much. Maybe even keep both, install some display cheap card for the third or something like that..hang them off the roof :-)

Anyway this is what I'm now mostly considering:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=SqSPAYIsfecjo9GX (http://www.asus.com/monitor info)

For movies/TV use I'd prefer a plasma, but I think for computer use mostly LCD is the best. Any suggestions? 32 or 27?

Tig
January 15th, 2011, 01:10 AM
For movies/TV use I'd prefer a plasma, but I think for computer use mostly LCD is the best. Any suggestions? 32 or 27?

I agree. I've had many HD TV's from fine Sony to crappy Samsung, but plasma simply can't be beat, especially Panasonic. Our house came with a 50" Panasonic plasma (bolted to a wall mount, so it had to be included), and I'll never go back to DLP/LCD/LED. The newer plasmas run much cooler and use less power than in the past.

We upgraded our old 19" LCD PC monitor with a 26" LCD last year, and it has been great. It also doubles as a TV, so we use a HD cable box via an HDMI connection.

deeaa
January 15th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Yeah we also have a Panasonic plasma FullHD bolted to a wall on a stand that allows turning it out to 45 degrees...I love it, really really good picture quality. As we still mostly watch SD resolution stuff or 720p or something, a plasma is WAY better in that than LCD IMO. A friend has a top of the line 50" Sony LCD and I'd say it's impressive with BluRay, maybe even slightly sharper than our plasma, but even he is jealous of how good everyday 720 and SD TV programs look on the plasma in comparison. But on a computer the resolution is fixed so slightly sharper pixels will work better.

I try to eyeball the size here with a measuring tape and the 27" does seem like the best option for PC use. Moreover, if I go for 32" the panels indeed are inferior with 50.000 contrast as opposed to over 100k for monitor panels, etc.

Beerman
January 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
My .03 is that 32 is too big for viewing that close. I have a 23" and 24" side by side in my small man cave, sitting on a desk. I use 1 computer to record tv (I use an InfiniTV cablecard tuner and MS Media Center and can record 4 HD shows at one time) and though I watch some video on that screen, I'm 2 1/2 feet away and it's very good.
We have a 32" LCD in a bedroom and I tried it out as a TV/Monitor and besides the size bothering me so close and that it took up more desk room, to me, the monitor only had a better picture than the LCD TV. Different brands though so that could be the difference.

deeaa
January 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Alright, that settles it---I'm ordering the Asus 27" right now! Just need to check if I can get it cheapest from wholesales or retailer in Finland or then I'll have one shipped from Germany.