PDA

View Full Version : What is the best guitar you've ever played?

grungemaster
January 15th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Seeing as how there doesn't seem to be such a thread on the fret, I thought it would be nice to create one. I'm sure everybody is just itching to brag about their guitars; have at it!

deeaa
January 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Quite easy: my Davette, overall.

For specific purposes some may be just a touch better (like my Yammy RG is just a touch better for shredding due to ultralight strings and slightly flatter radius) but overall it takes the cake of all time guitars, rock solid in tuning and playing, light as a feather, thin but not too thin V neck, screams like a mother.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6nk96PAbWiI/TOTnKu-_TzI/AAAAAAAADc4/1tc0V_6r6sA/s640/wc%20035.jpg

R_of_G
January 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
To date, I'd have to answer my Gibson ES-135.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/853473c4b504c144.jpg

It's versatile. It plays well. It's got great natural tone and takes well to effects. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Tig
January 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'll reply after my tax rebate comes back to me. You'll just have to wait and guess until then... :hungry
:bootyshake

Eric
January 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I haven't played a ton of guitars other than my own, but I think it'd probably be either my Agile AL-3100 or this Godin Session I played in a store once.

I tend to avoid trying expensive guitars, for fear I'd want to own one, so my data here is pretty limited.

Blaze
January 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
A 1968 -- ES 335

http://www.normansrareguitars.com/images/P/952Gibson%201968%20ES-335%20TDC_01.jpg

mapka
January 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
1988 American made Telecaster. Put some Keystone pups and 4 way switch in. Love the tones and the feel of this one. If I need that Humbucker sound I like my Hagstrom Swede. It has their tremelo system on it and the thing will not go out of tune, no matter how much you use it.

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_114424c4c8baaa1227.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1707)

FusedGrooves
January 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I work with a guitar collector who has nearly 70 guitars, most of them very good and collectables, some VERY expensive items aswell. The man has everything, like however many Fenders, 8 proper Gibby LPs in various finishes/weights/age and TWO Yamaha SA2200s, a deluxe and a standard model.

For a while, he's given me unfettered access to his collection, allowing me to take a few axes and play them for a month or 2. My fav's have been at # 3his SUPER heavy BLACK LP (can't remember any mroe about it sorry), at #2 a G&L 'Hybrid' - a Tele with birds eye maple neck with STRAT PUPS you get the tele look/feel/sound but mixed with Strat sound - I very very NEARLY bought this but after playing his Yamaha's I was SOLD and bought a SA2200 Deluxe model.

Coil taps mated with Semi Hollowbody and Ebony fretboard allows a HUGE range of tones. Single coil sound no problems, a mix of humbuckers and single no worries....

I have 3 other quite expensive guitars, a Custom Ibanex S series and a Gibby LP and since buying the Yamaha I haven't TOUCHED another guitar..thats how much I love her.....I doubt I will play anything else for a considerable amount of time!

If you're into the whole semi hollowbody thing then you must do yourself a favour and play one of these.....IMHO

marnold
January 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Quite honestly? The only guitar I currently own, the one in my avatar. I've played a few high-end Strats. I thought they were nice, but nothing that made me forget my DK2M. I haven't played any high-end Gibsons except for one Les Paul Jr. which was OK. It had one P90 at the bridge. Realistically, I figure there's no sense playing a guitar I cannot reasonably afford. Heaven help me if I would like it.

Wish I would have had the cash to buy that high-end Spector bass I played back in the 80s. That thing was like buttah.

Ch0jin
January 16th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Firstly, Blaze, that 335 is amazing.

Kind of obvious I suppose, but the best guitars I've played, I own.

Maton MS2000DLX SD in Black
Maton BB1200 w/Brierley B90's In Cherry

Robert
January 17th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Probably the Johan Gustavsson guitar I played at NAMM. Incredible guitar.

pedalbuilder
January 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
That's a tough one. I've played some guitars that I thought were great and then later on I fell out of love with and sold. Others I didn't like at first and grew into. The one which has been my go-to favorite for the last year or so and seems to be 'the best' is my neck-through Agile AL-3000M, stock - no mods.

It's just a great playing guitar and the thing that makes me say it's the best has less to do with any objective tonal qualities and more to do with the fact that when I'm playing it I always play more. During band practice I have to control myself and not noodle in between every song like "that guy." When I'm trying out new amps or pedals I specifically don't use this guitar since I will just love whatever I'm playing through and think it's great.

That being said, I just picked up a '79 Peavey T-25 and so far it's looking like a great guitar. Hasn't supplanted the Agile yet, but - man - nice guitar.

kidsmoke
January 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM
as for braggin' about MY guitars, theirs not much to brag about. My Larrivee is fine quality solid wood guitar, and get LOTS of use. I have an '97 American Standard Strat that's been on loan to me for about two years now, from a neighbor who doesn't have time to play and would like it to be getting some use. I don't play it much because it's a different scale length than both of my own Gibson copies (washburns, listed below) and would never take someone else's valuable guitar to the places I usually play. That strat would have to be the best quality guitar I have any real exposure to, although both of my Washburns, while lacking pedigree, are awesome guitars, from my limited experience.

The finest guitar I've ever played however is a cool story. I was once handed David Brombergs Martin by his manager, while we sat curbside outside his hotel in downtown Chicago. Not a Dave Bromberg model Martin, like Jorma Kaukonen plays on a daily basis, mind you, but Dave Brombergs Dave Bromberg Model! While I did hold it and pick for a few fleeting moments, I can't say I really got close and personal. Given that I stopped breathing for the duration of the encounter, I can barely remember much more than the fact that it had a weight to it that surprised me and seemed to have a bottom end that made my entire ribcage resonate.

I don't tell that story outside the confines of the school I was working for that day cause most people look at me askance. I've had some other famous guitars in my car, but never got to play them.

kidsmoke
January 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
A 1968 -- ES 335

http://www.normansrareguitars.com/images/P/952Gibson%201968%20ES-335%20TDC_01.jpg
:drool :drool :drool

stingx
January 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
The neck on my new Charvel SoCal is unlike any other I've played. It's just so comfortable and effortless. I can play on it for hours (and have). Although the newest guitar in my collection and not even close to the most expensive, I'd have to go with this as being my fave. Did I mention the neck on this is fabulous? :)

http://stubble.org/assorted_images/SoCal.jpg

NWBasser
January 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Being primarily a bass player, I've gotten to play with quite a few guitarists over the years and they'll usually let me play their instruments. So, I've had the opportunity to play a whole lot of different guitars.

I've gotten my grubby hands on PRS, Strats, SGs, LPs (both Gibson and Epiphone), Steinberger, Agile, Parker, Charvel, G&L, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't really single out any one that really stood above all the others as "the best".

However, for basses my Clement stands above every bass that I've ever played.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f156/NWBasser_photos/newbassPhotos001.jpg

Ch0jin
January 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Being primarily a bass player, I've gotten to play with quite a few guitarists over the years and they'll usually let me play their instruments. So, I've had the opportunity to play a whole lot of different guitars.

I've gotten my grubby hands on PRS, Strats, SGs, LPs (both Gibson and Epiphone), Steinberger, Agile, Parker, Charvel, G&L, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't really single out any one that really stood above all the others as "the best".

However, for basses my Clement stands above every bass that I've ever played.

OMG! look again, someone stole your frets! :)

kidsmoke
January 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Is that a spalted maple top? Beautiful!

I wanted to buy a first bass recently and had a line on a converted fretless (frets filed down) and was told not to, that I should work with a fretted first.

do you agree?

NWBasser
January 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Is that a spalted maple top? Beautiful!

I wanted to buy a first bass recently and had a line on a converted fretless (frets filed down) and was told not to, that I should work with a fretted first.

do you agree?

Not necessarily. Depending on how long you've been playing guitar and how developed your sense of pitch is, the fretless might not be too difficult. If that's the sonic direction that you want, then I wouldn't be deterred from it.

I find fretless to be physically easier to play FWIW.

bcdon
January 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Me and Mrs. bcdon are on our road trip to California and look what I picked up along the way: A Godin Icon Type 3 with some smoking P90s. I've been jamming with Ampitube on my Mac, man, I can't wait to get this home and plug it in to my amph!

My Godin is in natural colour and it has a fantastic neck, great fret work, and super low action with no buzz.

I'll post some pictures later, but check this out!

http://www.tapestrymusic.com/image/cache/data/Guitars/godinicon3nat-700x700.jpg

hDx9df8aHlY

buYtJXBwHFM

Eric
January 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Dude....they just released those I think. They're like top 5 if I decide to drop some more coin on another LP guitar later in life. That's pretty sweet. I'll be expecting a full review...

NWBasser
January 17th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wow Don, that's a beauty!

I thought your Epi Zak Wilde was a very sweet-playing guitar, so this one must really be smokin'.

I have cold beer in the fridge if you and the Mrs. want to stop by on your way back north.

Give me a call.

bcdon
January 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Dude....they just released those I think. They're like top 5 if I decide to drop some more coin on another LP guitar later in life. That's pretty sweet. I'll be expecting a full review...

Eric, this is really a sweet guitar! (I meant to post this to a separate thread but I'm using free WiFi at a pub and have had a drink or two, sorry about that guys!) That said, this is the best guitar I have ever played. :dance It is so light and the sustain really bites. I love these P90s!

bcdon
January 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wow Don, that's a beauty!

I thought your Epi Zak Wilde was a very sweet-playing guitar, so this one must really be smokin'.

I have cold beer in the fridge if you and the Mrs. want to stop by on your way back north.

Give me a call.
Thanks, Jason! I think I'm heading back home on Sunday (my wife is away and I have a pretty good buzz so I'm not to certain of the dates). I'd love to stop by and let you check this out.. I'll keep you posted. If not this time, we'll meet up for that beer. I think you'll really dig this guitar! I can't wait to check out your new guitar too! :dude

Earle G
January 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I played a Gibson Historic ES-5 (3-P90s) at a show years ago that was really
fine.
For an acoustic think it could be a '49 Martin D-18 that belongs to a guy
in OR.

ZMAN
January 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I would have to say my 1968 Gibson SG Special with the P90s. I have owned it for over 40 years and It is still the nicests playing guitar I have ever played.
Extremely low buzzless action and great tone.
Anyone who plays this guitars usually goes out and tries to buy one. I have sold a lot of faded Sgs with this one. Notice the Vibrolo and the compensated bridge. Works like a charm and very simple.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/1968GibsonSG-1.jpg

Eric
January 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I would have to say my 1968 Gibson SG Special with the P90s. I have owned it for over 40 years and It is still the nicests playing guitar I have ever played.
Anyone who plays this guitars usually goes out and tries to buy one. I have sold a lot of faded Sgs with this one. Notice the Vibrolo and the compensated bridge. Works like a charm and very simple.
I could be wrong, but didn't you say at one point that playing this guitar made you realize how much better the quality is these days, or something along those lines?

Maybe I'm misremembering...

ZMAN
January 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Possibly taken a little out of context Eric. What I was talking about was the new bodies made with CNC machines, make these old bodies look crude. If you look at the horns they are somewhat different. I am sorry if I gave you the impression I meant the playability of the guitar. It is simple straight forward and has always been my best playing guitar. Over the years I have drifted back and forth between P90s and Humbuckers. Lately I have been liking the P90s. But I could never find a guitar with such a low buzzless action. I have had every kind of string on it over the last 40 plus years from 08 Labella Ultra Slinkies to 11s. But right now I have the Gibson Britewires and they seem to fit perfectly.
I took all the strings off it a couple of years ago and cleaned the board and set it up. The action is still the same and hasn't changed a bit.
I have several friends who have played it over the years and I have standing offers for it. But I won't sell.

sunvalleylaw
January 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I suppose the finest guitar I ever played was a Martin D-45 Marquis with an adirondack spruce top. Like this one:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/products/martin/martin_d-45_marquis_1169754/martin_d-45_marquis_1169754.php

It was about the same era as this one too. I got to play it at the end of a presentation by the Martin reps at the local store that has since closed. The guitar played beautifully, sounded wonderful, and was just plain nice. Worth around 10k street price? Debatable. But probably the finest guitar I have ever held or played.

Eric
January 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Possibly taken a little out of context Eric. What I was talking about was the new bodies made with CNC machines, make these old bodies look crude. If you look at the horns they are somewhat different. I am sorry if I gave you the impression I meant the playability of the guitar. It is simple straight forward and has always been my best playing guitar. Over the years I have drifted back and forth between P90s and Humbuckers. Lately I have been liking the P90s. But I could never find a guitar with such a low buzzless action. I have had every kind of string on it over the last 40 plus years from 08 Labella Ultra Slinkies to 11s. But right now I have the Gibson Britewires and they seem to fit perfectly.
I took all the strings off it a couple of years ago and cleaned the board and set it up. The action is still the same and hasn't changed a bit.
I have several friends who have played it over the years and I have standing offers for it. But I won't sell.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

jpfeifer
January 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I played a PRS Hollowbody II that was probably the most beautiful, and best sounding guitar that I've ever played. It's not the kind of guitar that I'd use as a general purpose gigging guitar, but it really sounded good for what it did.

I've also played some custom shop Gibson 335's that I'd classify as best-of-class in terms of their overall tone.

--Jim

Blaze
January 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/1968GibsonSG-1.jpg

Gorgeous Axe Z ... I d love to own one , one day..

hubberjub
January 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I played a G&L ASAT at a guitar store years ago that absolutely was the most resonant guitar I have ever experienced. I never even plugged it in but when you find a guitar that just rings acoustically as much as that did you know it's a great guitar. I should have bought that. In terms of guitars I own, I'll take my Modulus over most other guitars I've played.

sumitomo
January 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Easy no brainer,the next one! Sumi:D

Algonquin
January 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Rob's Suhr Classic while he was off with his family at NAMM in California... but don't tell him! :D

Robert
January 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Rob's Suhr Classic while he was off with his family at NAMM in California... but don't tell him! :D

That's okay, it wants to be played!

If you guys ever get the chance to play one of these... oh my! It's only $12,000!

What an incredible guitar that was to play.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TTNWz1hWfBI/AAAAAAAAChw/N2CoiTK_FpY/s912/P1140393.JPG

Katastrophe
January 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Gibson Les Paul... First electric I ever played.

hubberjub
January 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM

If you guys ever get the chance to play one of these... oh my! It's only $12,000!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kmpRYJWvkw0/TTNWz1hWfBI/AAAAAAAAChw/N2CoiTK_FpY/s912/P1140393.JPG

Those two dudes in the background look like they're keeping an eye on you. With your running abilities I bet you could have made a break with that ax.

NWBasser
January 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Yikes! I wonder how they managed to hit the 12K mark?

I don't think even a Fodera bass loaded with all manner of rare endangered woods would hit that price.:eek:

ZMAN
January 19th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Gorgeous Axe Z ... I d love to own one , one day..
I lucked into this one. I had one of the first Ibanez SG copies back in 69. I sold it and bought this one for 250 dollars. It was one year old. My friend who was my original Guitar teacher had the SG Custom in the same color. It had the humbuckers and the chrome tail piece like the Angus Young model. Back then mine was the basic model with the dot neck and the P90s. In the late 70s I took it to a Luthier and asked him to change it to a Humbucker guitar. He said he didn't recommend that and said to go an buy an HB guitar. It would only ruin this one. I took his advice and I am so happy I did. I was also able to find one of the "Protector" cases N.O.S. in a music store for 75 bucks. They go together beautifully.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/SG1.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/Protectorfront.jpg

grungemaster
January 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
A 1968 -- ES 335

http://www.normansrareguitars.com/images/P/952Gibson%201968%20ES-335%20TDC_01.jpg Could we see some pics of you with your guitar? No offence, but it looks like you copy-pasted it off of google images.

ZMAN
January 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I know Blaze well and if he said he played a 68 ES335 he did.
If you forgot, your thread was "What is the best guitar you ever played"
Not the best guitar you ever owned.
What you have to remember is that a lot of us here were actually playing guitars in 1968.

kidsmoke
January 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM

Hey TIG, that body style strike you as familiar??

What justifies the tag, Robert? Tell us about it.

Tig
January 21st, 2011, 12:34 AM
Hey TIG, that body style strike you as familiar??

Not really... None of my guitars have veins!
:rollover
I'll be here all weekend.

Ch0jin
January 21st, 2011, 01:59 AM
What you have to remember is that a lot of us here were actually playing guitars in 1968.

Wow, did they have the 'lectricity back in those days or was it all acoustic :)

(I joke, I was born in 1970)

Tig
January 21st, 2011, 02:55 AM
Wow, did they have the 'lectricity back in those days or was it all acoustic :)

They had tubes, just no 'lectricity.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/files/2010/03/gilligan1.jpg

Ch0jin
January 21st, 2011, 03:11 AM
They had tubes, just no 'lectricity.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/files/2010/03/gilligan1.jpg

OOh nice, a screen cap from the pilot of Gilligans Island. I loved that show.

kiteman
January 21st, 2011, 04:00 AM
I'm just happy that my Carvin DC127 can hang with the big boys. :)

My Carvin Bolt kit ain't so bad either (now converted to single coils).

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3885/s5030148.jpg (http://img72.imageshack.us/i/s5030148.jpg/)

Ch0jin
January 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
Very patriotic too and it's not even July 4 :)

I like the look of the brown one :)

kiteman
January 21st, 2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks, that's my dad's casket flag I used to cover my bed. :)

Duffy
January 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
The best sounding and feeling guitars I've played were played by me back in the early seventies.

One was a Gibson LP similar to DVM's new one and I don't know which model it was. You could not make a bad sound on it. The amp was a Marshall stack of the era and that may have had a lot to do with how great the guitar sounded. The guitar felt and played great.

The best acoustics I've ever played were also back in the seventies and were two martins and a yamaha. They were all used higher end models and had tones that you don't find every day. Hippie type dudes owned them and curiously, while I often played them when visiting - enjoying the great tone compared to my junk guitar - I never saw any of the owners play the guitars. They probably owned them as status symbols.

Robert
January 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well I am not sure but I think Johan is one of the best builders today, and leaves no detail unattended. He uses the best materials and has is own style. His guitars have a big following. He can charge those prices because his work is in high demand and people will pay accordingly.