PDA

View Full Version : My LP Standard

NWBasser
January 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Cheap Epiphone MIC Les Paul Standard. Plain ol' black.

Got it new under $400 and did a fair amount of setup work myself.

But, this thing plays so nice. I mean really nice, as in better than quite a few $1,000+ guitars that I've played.

Frankenfretter (Sean) gave me a new pickup for the bridge position that I'll put in tomorrow which might give it a good tone kick. However, the stock pickups are quite good in their own right.

I'm playing it right now, and even with my messed up arthritic fingers I can lay it out on this one.

I can say that I'm fairly amazed with this one and I'm now glad I didn't sell it for a GIbby Studio.

Jeez, Epiphone is really doing it right these days!

PS - I'm fairly sure I've posted pics before and just thought I'd share some post-honeymoon thoughts.

Duffy
January 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Those MIC Epi LP Standards are some real nice guitars in my opinion. Probably close to or on par with the Agile AL 3xxx LP guitars. I have two and they were great stock but I put in Seymour Duncan JB's and a 59 in one and a Jazz in the other.

I left the stock Epi pickups in my G400 Epi SG's and also left the stock ones in my new Epi LP Custom in gloss black - an awesome guitar.

You should be able to have some serious fun with that black LP, without doubt. Even with the stock real decent pickups.

Good luck with it. I hope you bond with it.

ZMAN
January 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Those pickups in the MIC Standards are Epis version of the 490/498. They are as good as any aftermarket pickup. I would only consider changing them for real Gibbies or some good quality Duncans.
The neck is usually around 7.9 and the bridge 12 to 13.
I have owned several Epis and I now own a Japanese Elitist with the USA pickups in it, and a new G400 with stock pickups along with a 2001 Sheraton that I really love the stock pickups. The G400s are a little hotter than the LPS.
I really like the feel of my Elitist LP Custom. It just plays really nice.

FrankenFretter
January 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Actually, the pickup is a bridge pickup. You should do some before and after clips, Jason.

NWBasser
January 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Actually, the pickup is a bridge pickup. You should do some before and after clips, Jason.

Oops, yeah I fixed it.

I have some before clips, so I'll do up some after clips. However, my fingers aren't quite as good as the before clips that I have.