PDA

View Full Version : Guitarport or Toneport?

Hogfullofblues
November 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
So I'm sittin here in a hotel room with no guitar, but thinkin and reading about related stuff and cruisin ebay. The Line 6 Guitarport and Toneport look affordable, pretty cool, and from what I read, work well with Audacity.
Anyone have any experience or opinion?
Thanks......

Spudman
November 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM
I have the Guitar Port and like it a lot. They recently came out with more add-ons for it and it's a pretty serious sound generator. I think the Line 6 sounds are really good. Pretty affordable too.

I'm not sure if you buy a used one whether or not you get support. I got mine new. The only drawback is that it's not portable.

Edit;
Maybe that isn't true. I'm sure it can follow a laptop computer around.

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Does the guitar port rely on software sounds or does it contain a hardware modeler?

Lev
November 2nd, 2006, 02:00 AM
For a little more money you can get the PODxt which will do the same thing. But the PODxt has real knobs that you can grab and adjust rather than clicking the mouse. I use mine primarily as a recording device into cubase by hooking up the USB conncetion. The other advantage that it has over the guitar port is that you can use it without a PC and just plug your headphones or speakers into it and Jam. It doesn't take up too much space in your luggage either.

For a little less money you can get a Zoom G2.1u which will also act as a USB interface to you PC. I've not really tested mine as a recording interface and I don't think it will ever have the backend support that Line6 products have in terms of editing software and patch updates but it's also worth considering. It comes with Cubase LE software for some professional recordings.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Swede
The Guitar Port's sounds are only software based. You have to have a computer hooked up.

Lev
XT or the Zoom are both great choices indeed, but those POD patches are definitely the best sounding. I didn't know that the Zoom comes with Cubase LE. That makes it pretty attractive sounding.

Mark
November 2nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
I have a POD xt for sale......end shameless plug

Tim
November 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
They recently came out with more add-ons for it and it's a pretty serious sound generator.

Can somebody explaine what an "add-on" is. I hear the term a lot but never found out what it stands for.

Thanks.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
Can somebody explaine what an "add-on" is. I hear the term a lot but never found out what it stands for.

Thanks.
It is more software doo dads that make your thingamajig more fun to use.

Is that non technical enough.:D

It's really just more software that allows more options from the stuff you are currently using. For instance: if you have an IBM type PC and you are running Windows and decide that you want the Microsoft Scheduler and Alarm Clock then those would be considered add-ons. I think. Right?

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
It's really just more software that allows more options from the stuff you are currently using. For instance: if you have an IBM type PC and you are running Windows and decide that you want the Microsoft Scheduler and Alarm Clock then those would be considered add-ons. I think. Right?

Or if it was a Dell type PC a subscription to the PC HELP! Magazine could be a much needed add-on.