PDA

View Full Version : Phasing out my pedal business....

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I've decided that when I finish my "spring campaign" of pedal builds in June, that will mark the end of my little pedal-building enterprise. I may make & sell an occasional pedal as a special project, but the "five or six pedals per month" thing is definitely coming to a close.

I have been considering this for some time, because:

These things take a LOT of time to build ( 3 - 4 hours for single pedal is pretty standard, including the finishing, and ZYS's are more like 5), taking significant time away from family and other responsibilities, and....
I started this as a hobby, because I enjoyed doing it, but cranking out 5 or 6 each month is getting to be a chore rather than an enjoyable pastime.

I was actually going to shut it down at the end of 2010, but decided to keep going for another 6 months and put the profits toward that R9 I've been wanting. As of last week, that goal has been accomplished. :rockon:

Anyway, just thought I'd give the gang here at TheFret a "heads up" as to my intentions. If any of you are interested in a DVM pedal and have been holding off for one reason or another, NOW is the time to make your move! I have just a handful of build slots left open, after which time "the pattern is full."

Thanks to all, especially Robert for his great demo vids, for your support & encouragement in my little pedal endeavor these past couple of years! :dude :thumbsup

stingx
January 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Offshore your production to China. :notme

I have collected over 28 pedals over the last 2 years. I am all pedaled out else I'd jump. I've actually been selling a helluva lot of stuff off that was purchased and rarely touched. This hobby of ours is seriously addictive.

Who knows, bro, perhaps I may still acquire a DVM pedal via special build down the road.

Tig
January 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Bummer, but understandable. Time is more precious than money. Playing time is priceless!

Robert
January 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ah, well that's too bad. You were just getting started.

I guess you can just sit back and noodle on your new Gibson acquisition huh?

You'll probably continue to get requests to your website since I have lots of links going to it. Or else they might start asking me how to get a DVM pedal if your pedal pages are gone! :eek: :nono:

Upwards and Onwards DVM!

sunvalleylaw
January 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Ah, well that's too bad. You were just getting started.

I guess you can just sit back and noodle on your new Gibson acquisition huh?

You'll probably continue to get requests to your website since I have lots of links going to it. Or else they might start asking me how to get a DVM pedal if your pedal pages are gone! :eek: :nono:

Upwards and Onwards DVM!

Yeah, like Robert said. I will miss you doing them, but onward and upward! I love my DVM pedals. I have to look through the rest of what you build and see if I need to sneak in an order before you are done. Thanks for the ones you have sent me so far!

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

I'm going to post a notice to this effect on my "pedal page", so hopefully you won't get too many people buggin' you, RR!

And I'll still be posting the occasional "pedal project" here at TheFret--they'll just be "one-offs" for my own use as opposed to customer builds. AAMOF, I have an eye on a Klon Centaur clone ("Klon Klone"?) I want to give a try, and I still need to try a Univibe clone build, lighthouse and all.

poodlesrule
January 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
DVM, what's an R9?

My first thought was a new Mazda, but that's not it, because those go RX-something..!

Algonquin
January 17th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Good for you! Nothing stopping you from ramping things back up in the future if you ever wanted to, but when a hobby becomes a chore... it's time to step back and prioritize!

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
DVM, what's an R9?
THIS IS (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=17423).

Tig
January 17th, 2011, 06:34 PM
DVM, what's an R9?

Gibson LP re-issues are referred to like that. A '56 LP re-issue is an R6, a '58 is an R8, etc...

I guess they'll never have to come up with re-issue names for the Firebird X! :rollover

Katastrophe
January 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
DVM, good on ya for making the decision.... That's how big businesses sometimes get started, by producing a product as a hobby... It can get out of control in a hurry when a person does good work.

*Katastrophe now does epic facepalm for not getting a first run ZYS*

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM
*Katastrophe now does epic facepalm for not getting a first run ZYS*
Still got a couple of build slots open for June, Kat! :poke ;)

vroomery
January 17th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Major props for making a tough decision like that. For what it's worth, you played a pretty major role in getting me into building my own pedals so that thanks for that. Music is always about expression and inspiring people. I think you definitely achieved that in multiple ways through your excellent craftsmanship and provision of great sounding pedals. Have fun with all that free time!

Ch0jin
January 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Awwww, now who is going to give honest straight up reviews of BYOC's new releases!

I understand your decision though. Plenty of my pedals are actually undercoated, painted, labeled and then 2 pack epoxy coated, so even if you take away build time, tweaking and label design (which often takes me hours), each pedal runs around 5 days let alone 4-5 hours. No way I can make money off that if I put a value on my time.

marnold
January 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Sweet! My Thesis 96 just shot up in value! :)

Katastrophe
January 17th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Still got a couple of build slots open for June, Kat! :poke ;)

Got to get an amph first (still working on that)... I had an amph, and could've found the money during your first run, but was going through a "no effects at all, whatsoever" phase.

Stupid phases. :thwap

piebaldpython
January 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear of you stopping your pedal business. I know I enjoy the pedals I bought from you. But making pedals takes away from git-playing too.

Maybe one more......the 5 knob compressor perhaps....call it the "Tight Squeeze" with a decal of a python squeezing a rat?? :poke

ZMAN
January 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I can understand what you are saying. When you start a hobby it is fun, you get good at it and the requests come in. When it starts to be a JOB, it isn't much fun any more.
With the knowledge you have gained in this hobby you should maybe think about doing Mods to existing pedals and amps ala Keely, and Billm. I am sure that would be a lot easier, and you could still make some cash for future GAS.
There are a lot of BJs out there that could use a standby switch, or an output jack, not to mention the stack mods.
Just a thought. I am sure you have invested a lot in the equipment to do those pedals. No sense wasting that.

otaypanky
January 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Life is short, have fun while you can. You've got to do what makes you happy.
But I suspect DVM is going to be back at it before too long ~~~
I think he's become overly fond of solder smoke, it's somewhat addicting.

There is a fine line between being happily busy and overload. And what may be a nice pace during the winter months can be a burden once the weather turns nice and there is so much yard and outdoor house work that needs to be done. The only thing you can do then is extend wait time but I like to get orders done as quickly as I can after receiving them, having them stack up feels uncomfortable.

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Just by way of "heads up" for any Fretters who might be considering the purchase of a genuine DVM-built pedal before the solder smoke dissipates at the end of June:

I currently have FOUR (4) slots left open in my build schedule. First come, first served--when they're gone, they're gone (with the possible exception of slots opening due to cancellations).

pedalbuilder
January 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hey man - I always enjoyed seeing your builds at BYOC, and more recently over here, but it's a positive decision to stop selling regularly if it was no longer making you happy.

I'll look forward to seeing what you create now that you'll be freed from all these standard build obligations!! :thumbsup

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I have quite a backlog of "one-off" pedal projects I've been wanting to do but haven't tackled due to lack of available time. Not to mention a Trinity 18W head kit that I've been sitting on for fourteen months now for the same basic reason. :eek: :thwap :o :rolleyes:

sumitomo
January 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Sorry Vood your not getting off that easy I need one of those ZYS pedals to go with my rodent.Sumi:D

Ch0jin
January 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I have quite a backlog of "one-off" pedal projects I've been wanting to do but haven't tackled due to lack of available time. Not to mention a Trinity 18W head kit that I've been sitting on for fourteen months now for the same basic reason. :eek: :thwap :o :rolleyes:

I wondered what happened to that amp kit. I was looking forward to that build report, glad to hear it's still on the to-do list :) Keep us posted on the one-off's too. Any sneaky hints as to what you want to try?

syo
January 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear your fine work will soon be unavailable. I love my DVM pedal and would probably order more down the road, but I completely understand the need for time.

Your hard work went towards something special. Enjoy your R9!

duhvoodooman
January 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Any sneaky hints as to what you want to try?
I dunno.....maybe a KLONe of some high-end overdrive....a BOX that lets me really ROCK....something that brings out the ZEN in my playing. Something really TREMULUS....er, I mean, tremendous! Lots of possibilities.... ;)

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I dunno.....maybe a KLONe of some high-end overdrive....a BOX that lets me really ROCK....something that brings out the ZEN in my playing. Something really TREMULUS....er, I mean, tremendous! Lots of possibilities.... ;)

Nice! Funnily enough I know exactly what your talking about ;) If you haven't yet considered it, maybe look at a pedal that might make you the monarch of your tone? ;) I am waiting on a re-stock of components to arrive so I can get cracking on a chorus, but after that I'm very keen to try the "Aristocrat" over at madbean and a maestro FSH1 from tonepad.

If you don't mind me asking, in terms of sales, what was your most popular pedal? I'm not planning on trying to copy your success or your pedal designs, I have a couple of ideas banging around of my own to try, but I am keen to understand what the public are buying be it fuzz, boost, distortion, modulation and so on. I'm thinking perhaps I could try and knock out a few for my local market and make some Arthur to put towards future projects.

duhvoodooman
January 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Actually, I meant to include the KoT in my "coded" list and just forgot!

Re: my most popular pedals--the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer Mark II (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys_mkII.htm), followed closely by the Rabid Rodent v.2.0 (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RRv2.htm). In no small measure because of the excellent video demos Robert did on each of them.

DVM --> :master :rockon: <-- RR

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks for that! I can't disagree with ya on Roberts demo's. The man knows how to make video that's for sure.

duhvoodooman
June 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Hold on a minute! Not so fast.... (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18575-DVM-Pedals....NOT-DONE-YET!!!) :D

helliott
June 10th, 2011, 10:41 AM
My Zonkin Yellow still occupies a prime spot in the signal chain, just behind my Mosfet Fulltone. The yellow is just the thing for when I want a little different drive, not the transparent kind the Mosfet does. It's a darn good pedal. Thanks for making it.