PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ponderings

marnold
November 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hey Fretters! I could use some advice.

My inlaws and parents have been asking what I want for Christmas. Basically, I want money for some guitar-related acquisition. I have three choices that I'm thinking about. I'm not sure which one would be best.

1) A lobotomy for my Charvel Tele. Basically that would involve Fender Texas Tele pickups, a four-way switch, and new volume and tone pots. This was the no-brainer choice until I checked Musician's Friend this week. Suddenly the price of those pups doubled. At US$89 they were a steal. At US$169, not so much. I'd hope this would allow me to play my Tele more often--or it might just remind me that it needs a new neck too.

2) A Digitech Expression Factory pedal. The thought of a wah/whammy combo seems pretty cool, to say nothing of the other effects and distortion models. The problem is that it is quite expensive for just one pedal. I've never actually used one of these pedals so at this point I might like the idea more than the reality.

3) A Boss Micro BR. I like the idea of recording stuff, just to see how I'm improving (or not). It comes with a drum machine and MP3 trainer. Since I use Linux, most recording software won't work with my system. The Micro BR would do the trick. Plus its coolness is off the charts.

4) (OK, I said three, but I just thought of a fourth. Sue me.) An SX bass--preferably a P and J model like the SPJ-62, SB-301, or an SPJ Ash (my favorite). A local shop also has a used Schecter J-bass similar in appearance to the SPJ Ash. I was a bass player in a former life and would like to have one again. I wish I have my Peavey Fury P-bass back, but there you go. Of course, I don't have a bass amp and I doubt it would be a good idea to subject my AD30VT to that.

Robert
November 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'd go with 2 or 3. Great toys. Probably the Boss Micro BR gives you the most out of all those options. Recording is very rewarding (and with some punishment sometimes too!). You learn a lot and you can let the creativity go nuts.

Spudman
November 1st, 2006, 10:52 PM
I was going to say almost the same thing that Robert said. Recording yourself will not only help you develop in big leaps, but it will give great satisfaction when you say to yourself "ya, I recorded that all by myself." "I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Sorry, I got carried away.

Don't forget to look at other recording units as well. There is some great stuff in the $300-$400 price range that the BR is in. Or...ask for everything on the list.:D

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:22 AM
I agree with spuds, you should check out different recording units. I think that you pay a premium on the BR due to its portability.

Lev
November 2nd, 2006, 02:07 AM
I agree, the recording device everytime. I bought a Digitech Expression Factory about six months ago and although it's a fun toy, I find it's gathering dust now. The real problem is that the wah effects are pretty disappointing, which limits it to a pedal for 'special effects' which it does quite well but how often are you going to use these effects?

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Recording device or a looper pedal if you don't already have one. Money is a practical Christmas "gift" these days. :)

marnold
November 2nd, 2006, 10:00 AM
Don't forget to look at other recording units as well. There is some great stuff in the $300-$400 price range that the BR is in. Or...ask for everything on the list.:D
The Micro BR is US$229 at MF, although it's out of stock until after Christmas. Any suggestions on other products to look at? There was a similar Korg product but it either didn't have the drum machine or the MP3 trainer.

Recording device or a looper pedal if you don't already have one. Money is a practical Christmas "gift" these days. :)
I'd be asking for money towards this. My relatives would have no idea what I'm talking about otherwise. :)

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
And money works everywhere. Sometimes better than gift certificates to a specific place.