PDA

View Full Version : Scofield Trio

kidsmoke
January 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
a man totally in love with his day job...

JWDYZlDsH-c

R_of_G
January 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
One of the greatest guitar players I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

His collaborations with Medeski, Martin & Wood are particularly groovy.

ndb6j9nkUP4

kidsmoke
January 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
what strikes me when watching this, and when I saw Frisell, is how much fun these guys have while they're playing together. They are interacting live, being reactive and spontaneous, and are having a blast.

I think that makes it that much more enjoyable for the listener...er....witness. It not only sounds amazing and engaging...you're waiting to hear what's gonna happen....but you're watching joyful people at the top of their craft having at least as much fun as you are.

I think it's part of the appeal of jazz.

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Man, I love listening to the "raunchier" side of Sco's playing. I just dig listening to him.

Great finds, fellers!

Fretz
January 21st, 2011, 07:47 AM
I like this performance with John Mayer...

9gkTF-vZ_bM

kidsmoke
February 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Well, I was fortunate to see one of my faves up close last night, in fact got to see him 2x! He played back to back gigs at my school, and as the person in charge of ushers and whatnot, I was in the hall for half of the first show and about all of the second. Got to chat, acted as an unabashed fan and had him sign his Fretboard Journal cover from a few years back (fanTASTIC periodical, for any guitar fan) and chatted briefly about his guitar. He did NOT bring his signature Tobacco burst Ibanez, as seen in all the videos in this thread, but a newer all black AS200 (same model) with different pickup.

He played with his trio, which currently does not include Swallow, but an upright bassist named Ben Street. Bill Stewart is an insane drummer, and had lots of opporutnities to show it. One of my perks is holding the stage door during the encore break, while they're waiting for the crowd to call them back on stage, and this is the first moment the musicians have to have a candid conversation for the last 90 minutes or so, and to see someone so seasoned at Sco and his mates, greeting each other with, "man that break was GREAT, what's up with your pickup?" stuff like that, very cool. These guys are just guys, albeit gifted, they just wanna jam like the rest of us.

another nice touch, two completely different sets. no repeats whatsover. He played this in the second set. GREAT night.

nVaotTRHExE