PDA

View Full Version : Amp sag?

Robert
November 1st, 2006, 10:21 PM
I have heard the term "sag" now and then when people speak of great tube amps. What the heck is that? I never quite understood this term in relation to a guitar amp. :confused:

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:25 AM
For example, if you crank up a Bassman amp and strike hard with the pick you´ll hear that the note "sags" and then opens up.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
For example, if you crank up a Bassman amp and strike hard with the pick you´ll hear that the note "sags" and then opens up.

That's good to know. Kind of the compression factor?

I was all set to get cosmetic surgery for my Hot Rod Deluxe.:D

Robert
November 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I don't get it. I have played Bassmans and I have heard about the famous "sag" but I still don't understand what it is. People say the Valvetronix emulates this well but I can't tell apples from oranges here.

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Rob - think of it like a very slight delay on compression. Imagine the 80's metal rhythmic crunching.....chunk chunk chunk chunk. You feel the air move from the saturation...sorta like a dip in output. Thats sag. I would get killer sag on the Vox by compressing the Boutique Clean slightly. It would produce a tube like sag on clean tones that sounded really sweet. It was very expressive...depending on your pick attacks. The harder you picked the more prevalent the sag.

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Here's a fairly good description of sag that I came across:

http://www.aikenamps.com/Sag.html

It's most often associated with amps containing a tube rectifier. Because of their tendency to sag--and the resulting compression/sustain effect that it engenders--tube rectifiers are often employed specifically for the purpose of producing sag.

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, what T2TB and DVM says is true. It "feels" like the amp is getting more input than it can handle and kneels a bit (hmm bad explanation perhaps: try this one). Much like when my wife tells me to do various chores. First I "sag" and then I sigh and do what I am told.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Much like when my wife tells me to do various chores. First I "sag" and then I sigh and do what I am told.

Oh man you need a modification. Might I suggest Heineken.

Robert
November 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
SS, your chores rectifier needs an upgrade!

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Oh man you need a modification. Might I suggest Heineken.
Geez, Spuds, at least recommend a Swedish beer, not a Dutch one! ;)

SS, your chores rectifier needs an upgrade!
Yes, a solid state chores rectifier will eliminate spousal wish compliance sag and promote matrimonial harmony! :D

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
LMAO. You guys crack me up..... :)

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Geez, Spuds, at least recommend a Swedish beer, not a Dutch one! ;)

Yes, a solid state chores rectifier will eliminate spousal wish compliance sag and promote matrimonial harmony! :D

Is there really a Swedish beer that can do the kind of modification that we are talking about?

If that harmony is in 3rds then there is going to be some major disharmony.:eek:

tot_Ou_tard
November 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Rob - think of it like a very slight delay on compression. Imagine the 80's metal rhythmic crunching.....chunk chunk chunk chunk. You feel the air move from the saturation...sorta like a dip in output. Thats sag. I would get killer sag on the Vox by compressing the Boutique Clean slightly. It would produce a tube like sag on clean tones that sounded really sweet. It was very expressive...depending on your pick attacks. The harder you picked the more prevalent the sag.
I really love the boutique clean with the gain above 12 O'clock and/or a slight bit of compression. On my Godin Radiator with the neck volume at oh say 8 and the bridge at 3 and the tone rolled back ever so slightly. Fingerpick & I'd swear that angels are flying outta' the amp.

Do angels sag?...hmmm I dunno. But it sounds incredibly sweet & expressive with plently of bloom & responsiveness.

SuperSwede
November 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
Is there really a Swedish beer that can do the kind of modification that we are talking about?

No, I might have to move on to a Solid State power amph,

http://www.absolutad.com/gallery/23-5.jpg