PDA

View Full Version : Stoneworks Picks

Robert
January 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Just got these at NAMM and I quite like them.

b_8rH54udlI

kidsmoke
January 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
interesting stuff! I agree there was a definite difference in tone.

Two things that spring to mind. Stone is harder than metal. That's why it's used to polish or hone. At the end of your demo you did an exaggerated strumming motion, and I felt like it could really hear the pick itself on the strings. Also, if someone uses coated strings I'd think the coating would be gone pretty quickly, and perhaps it could even wear on the metal itself????

Your timing is great, I've been messing with different picks a lot lately. I have an acoustic which is really aimed more at fingerstyle, and seems to have more character when played with a thinner (.060 to .080) pick. Like you, I just don't like the floppyness, and you lose a lot of volume, I feel.(but the sounds are beautiful) I've been trying to find a sweet spot, getting as heavy as I can and still get a nice sound, (what i need is a good rosewood dread...but that's out of the question right now)

On the electric side, I recently bought a jazz pick, which is closer to the size of a dime as a standard pick is closer to the size of a quarter, and VERY thick. I'm guessing the effect is similar to the v-picks, which I've not tried. I love the impact of the jazz pick, soooooo smooth coming off the strings, really able to move faster, but soooo hard to hold onto!

I amazed that picks can be such a variable to begin with. I guess that's my point!

And nice playing! What kind of guitar is that?

Robert
January 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thank you, it's a Norman guitar. Really nice. I haven't even recorded anything with it yet. I should, because it has a great pickup in it, apparently.

otaypanky
January 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
A long time ago all I used were the orange picks, I think they were Tortex.
The one day Vinni sent me some V-Picks. I said no way, look at the thickness of these suckers. In 10 minutes I was hooked on heavier picks. Although I still use my V-Picks I like to switch around now. But I feel like spending a year or two with V-Picks was a learning experience for right hand technique. I have some picks I made from a motorcycle helmet shield that I like a lot and believe it or not, picks made from old silver coins have a nice tone too. Here's some silver ones I made up ~
and also a pic of a really fat one Vinni made up for me. It's next to a quarter so you can gauge the size

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0829.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0706.jpg

Tig
January 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
and also a pic of a really fat one Vinni made up for me. It's next to a quarter so you can gauge the size

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0706.jpg

Looks like an elephant's gall stone! :p

sumitomo
January 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Oh Tio man you have to try those v-picks,you will not believe how with much more ease you wiil blast off lines playing and you then can feel what your doing.Sorry about that.Try 'em.Sumi:D

Beerman
January 20th, 2011, 07:09 PM
When I was younger, I used a penny flattened by a long line of trains on a track. I wore it down playing and it had a great sound but it slowed me down.
Weeks ago, against my gut, I ordered $19 of V-picks...got the assorted. I have 2 that I just love but all but one that I am very surprised and happy with.
My favorite this week is the Screamer. I'm definitely faster but I also feel it's a cleaner sound.
The real test is jamming with the boys soon to see if anyone else notices something different.

oldguy
January 21st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Stoneworks Picks

Robert, I like the tone of those as well as the V picks.
Which is easiest to grip/less prone to slippery fingers?

Robert
January 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM
Stoneworks Picks

Robert, I like the tone of those as well as the V picks.
Which is easiest to grip/less prone to slippery fingers?

Probably V picks, although I don't find these to be slippery so far. I haven't used them that much yet, I should also add.

oldguy
January 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM
That helps, thanks Robert.:thumbsup

marnold
January 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
Probably V picks, although I don't find these to be slippery so far. I haven't used them that much yet, I should also add.
Which one do you prefer, v-picks or these?

Tig
January 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Which one do you prefer, v-picks or these?

Marnold, you should know already... Stoneworks because they rock! :dude

I'm surprised no one came up with this already. Then again, maybe you all have better judgement than I!

Robert
January 21st, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was going to say that Tig, you stole it from my mouth.

These picks are great for ROCK!

It's too early to say which I like better. I have to play with them more. Also, there are nowadays many different kinds of V Picks, and I'm currently testing a few of these too. More V Picks videos to come, I'm afraid... ;)

I have white, burgundy, glow in the dark green, and pink V Picks.