PDA

View Full Version : EMG PA-2 demoing

deeaa
January 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
OK, here's a vid of what difference does the preamp at 1/5th volume make.

The guitar used is a Yamaha RG I paid ~100€ for, came with the EMG81 on bridge, and installed the EMG PA2 on it which cost 15€; a real cheapo but a truly great shredder guitar (if I could shred, LOL)...and to my amazement that thing stays in tune so well I can't believe it. I hardly ever tune it, and it seems pretty much unaffected by humidity and temp changes too.

The 'amp' used is my PC; playing into Amplitube 2 X-Gear program via the Stealth Pedal interface, recording with my DV cam.

But anyway the main thing is the PA-2...I really like the way it kicks in just the right amount of extra with no buzz hiss nothing at all.

-QXfKRl4Dzg

deeaa
January 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM
bump :-)

Ch0jin
January 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM
Well just cause you bumped it.......

It does indeed sound good, but I can't really tell what's pickup, what's preamp and what's amp model in the overall sound. The end result is a great sound though.

I'm guessing with that guitar you can go from clean to wax melter with the flick of a switch now regardless of amp/pedals etc.

deeaa
January 21st, 2011, 03:00 AM
Yeah, I keep switching it on and off all the time so it'd be noticeable when it's on or off...off it's just EMG81 to Amplitube with left channel also getting some spicing from a BOSS SE-50. The preamp is set at rather low gain here. Watch the right hand for when I toggle it...it should be easy to hear the effect of the nice boost.

If you turn the internal gain knob all the way to +20db (with full battery) it can indeed put most any amp to its knees with ease, that's a sick amount of gain...but I've never turned one of these past about 1/3rd mark which is already a LOT of boost.