PDA

View Full Version : Matte Black on CAR

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM
Ok I wanted to show Spud a matte black single ply pickguard on a Muddy Tele. I want to change out my current white pickguard to this on my own Muddy (photo stolen from another forum user's profile :eek: ).....

SuperSwede
November 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
Looks sweet tone, much better than the white if you ask me.

Spudman
November 2nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
I like it too, but aren't those knobs illegal?

Don't worry mate. I don't ever GAS for red guitars.

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
The white PG is "too much" for my eyes. I remember seeing Kerc's Midnight Wine Tele with black pickguard and liking that color scheme. Not that it matters much to me (or anyone) but red and black were my high school colors. I love the contrast of the matte black with the shiny candy apple red. Going to Guitar Parts Resource to order it now!

Spud - The amph knobs on a Tele make sense and I've heard about a lot of Tele players going that route on theirs because some people like knowing the value number of their volume when gigging. So maybe in that respect...maybe not illegal, but cheating a bit? :)

Tim
November 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
I like it too, but aren't those knobs illegal?

Some street sport cars are illegal, but they go faster than the noraml street stocked car. A flaming red guitar. I can hear those screeming solos already. Tear 'em up Tone!

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Some street sport cars are illegal, but they go faster than the noraml street stocked car. A flaming red guitar. I can hear those screeming solos already. Tear 'em up Tone!

Tim, I think the solos are gonna be even more screeming with the new PG. Just another little "something" to push you over the top ya know? LMAO :)

Nelskie
November 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I love the contrast of the matte black with the shiny candy apple red
Yeah, I agree - it looks really, really nice - - when it's brand new. But conversely, the matte color will show PG scratches very, very easily. The more you play it, the more noticeable those scratches will become. Of course, this is desirable if you're seeking the "well worn & played" look. I'm having a hard time believing someone, esp. as particular as I know you are, liking this aesthetic over time. A PG with more of "shine" to it tends to disguise scratches a bit more.

As always, the important thing is that you dig the look. A black moto might look nice, too - it'll contrast nicely with the black knobs and bridge p'up.

Iago
November 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have to say I`d stick with the white one :p

I bought on Ebay a 1-ply white pickguard for my tele, to replace the mint green, which I never liked that much.. I`ll post some pics soon :R

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Now that I'm off for some well deserved R&R I decided to post a pic of my Muddy Waters Tele with the new matte black pickguard. Thanks to everyone that posted your comments. This photo is not as dramatic as the other one I stole but you can see how it came out. I LIKE IT!

Nelskie - You made some good points. to me even with a little scratching and scuffing the matte finish will still look great to me. CAR is shiny as you can get as you well know with your CAR Strat. The PG looks charcoal against the really bright CAR finish and it complements it well. PLUS there is something to be said about single ply pickguards. They impart some magic of their own in many ways. The asthetics of 5 screws is also nice.

duhvoodooman
November 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
O-o-o-o-o-h!! That is just KILLER good looking, Tone. I like that much better than the stock PG. Very sharp!

If I ever buy one of those red Nashville Tele's like the one I played in GC a couple months back, now I'll know what PG to put on it! It comes with a tortoise shell PG, which I like a lot--just not on a red guitar.

Nelskie
November 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Nelskie - You made some good points. to me even with a little scratching and scuffing the matte finish will still look great to me. CAR is shiny as you can get as you well know with your CAR Strat. The PG looks charcoal against the really bright CAR finish and it complements it well. PLUS there is something to be said about single ply pickguards. They impart some magic of their own in many ways. The asthetics of 5 screws is also nice.
Yep - it does look really nice. The point is that you dig it. We're all just background noise.

ted s
November 8th, 2006, 01:20 PM
looks good tone !

Geez DMV, ya just had to bring up the red Nashville. I was tossed between the red and the blonde, leaning towards the blonde... now I gotta start all over again. ;)

r_a_smith3530
November 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM
The white PG is "too much" for my eyes. I remember seeing Kerc's Midnight Wine Tele with black pickguard and liking that color scheme. Not that it matters much to me (or anyone) but red and black were my high school colors. I love the contrast of the matte black with the shiny candy apple red. Going to Guitar Parts Resource to order it now!

Spud - The amph knobs on a Tele make sense and I've heard about a lot of Tele players going that route on theirs because some people like knowing the value number of their volume when gigging. So maybe in that respect...maybe not illegal, but cheating a bit? :)

Wow tone, that's why I went with the red pearl on my black Reactor. A friend of mine just finished building a tele from scratch, and he used one of those matte 'guards on the highly flamed maple top of his axe. It turned out gorgeous. Butterscotch tint, heavy birdseye neck, and the matte guard.

Hmm, and those knobs gave me an idea. I'll keep you all posted!

Iago
November 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Tone,

Where did you got that Matte Black pickguard?

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Looks great, Tone. I like the contrast of the flat finish. Plus, it looks like it's just itching to deal out some industrial volume tone.

duhvoodooman
November 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Geez DMV, ya just had to bring up the red Nashville....
DVM = Duh Voodoo Man
DMV = Department of Motor Vehicles

Please don't confuse me with the latter! ;) :D

I'm partial to the red, but both the honey blond and the sunburst look nice, too. Hey, the important part is what that model can do!!

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Iago - I got the pickguard here...

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/

I chose an aftermarket Allparts PG. Cheaper and they fit Fenders perfectly.

SV - I really like this pickguard. It even "feels" matte. Makes the 50's body on the Muddy Tele look authentic. I couldn't get into the 9 hole PG on the Muddys either so I chose the standard 5 hole vintage style.

Iago
November 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks Tone! I didnt knew that website. Since their pickguard fits on you Muddy Tele (it is mexican isnt?) must fit mine too :)

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks Tone! I didnt knew that website. Since their pickguard fits on you Muddy Tele (it is mexican isnt?) must fit mine too :)

You're welcome man. Yeah it should fit no problem. The Muddy Tele is MIM like you said. The holes lined up perfectly. Go get one!

Iago
November 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM
YESSSS
haahha no need to! i just made the 52 pickguard stay on my Tele (one more try before buying from GuitarPartsResource.. great store by the way).. by means of brute force! I also had to unscrew the control plate for that. Its a tad off on the neck pickup and on the bridge though, but its barely noticeable!

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Iago - Very cool dude. If there is a little crookedness anywhere you can take the pickguard off and take a trusty Dremel tool with a round stone grinding wheel and shave off where you see you need to (or even an Exacto blade but it's trickier to get it straight). I've done that before many times and it looks unnoticable and creates an "everything is straight" look.