PDA

View Full Version : Hofner Thinline CT

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
I dropped my G400 off at the shop for a Fret level and saw a really sweet 335 style guitar on the wall. I turned out to be a Hofner Thinline CT. They are a Chinese made version of Hofners German made Thinline Semi. They are about half as thick as a 335 and are really nice guitar. They are in the 5to 600 range. The only guitar I thought Hofner made was the fiddle bass. LOL
Don't know how they sound but my tech said they are really nice guitars.
http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.hoefner_flypage/product_id,174/category_id,104/

Blaze
January 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
A fretnet member Chuck D'Aloia had played on a similar Hofner for his DvD and told me he loves it..

RBrm-BvZRjg&feature

ud0LWqtYeaA&feature

wingsdad
January 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Are you thinking of fitting one of these into your arsenal as something somewhere in between your Gibby 335 and really nice Epi Sheraton II?

I'd say it probably is, indeed, a really nice guitar for what it is: essentially, their Chinese series are to Hofner's German models as Asian-made Epiphones are to their Gibson brethren. 'Affordable' imitations of the genuine article. The HI-BB Ignition Bass (http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.zupf_flypage/product_id,285/category_id,134/) is a great way to afford a 500/1 violin bass for about 25% of what the real deal goes for. I'd played a friend's 500/1 years ago, and I got one of these in early '08 when they first came out as the "Ikon Beatle Bass" I immediately re-strung it with D'add XL Chromes ShortScale Lights (close match to the strings that come stock on the 500/1)and it's remarkable how close it feels and sounds like the drool generator. If I shelled out for a set of Hofner Teacup knobs, it would look that much more 'genuine', because the little black 'radio shack' knobs that it comes with are pretty cheesy looking. I had a pair of pearloid-capped Tele knobs hanging around instead, and that little cosmetic choice dresses it up nicely. Sometime, I'll change the truss rod coverplate... but it won't make it play or sound any better...

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Are you thinking of fitting one of these into your arsenal as something somewhere in between your Gibby 335 and really nice Epi Sheraton II?

I'd say it probably is, indeed, a really nice guitar for what it is: essentially, their Chinese series are to Hofner's German models as Asian-made Epiphones are to their Gibson brethren. 'Affordable' imitations of the genuine article. The HI-BB Ignition Bass (http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.zupf_flypage/product_id,285/category_id,134/) is a great way to afford a 500/1 violin bass for about 25% of what the real deal goes for. I'd played a friend's 500/1 years ago, and I got one of these in early '08 when they first came out as the "Ikon Beatle Bass" I immediately re-strung it with D'add XL Chromes ShortScale Lights (close match to the strings that come stock on the 500/1)and it's remarkable how close it feels and sounds like the drool generator. If I shelled out for a set of Hofner Teacup knobs, it would look that much more 'genuine', because the little black 'radio shack' knobs that it comes with are pretty cheesy looking. I had a pair of pearloid-capped Tele knobs hanging around instead, and that little cosmetic choice dresses it up nicely. Sometime, I'll change the truss rod coverplate... but it won't make it play or sound any better...
I think you can understand that I really think I have the semi hollow body thing covered. I was more surprised by the look of these guitars. They are extremely thin bodied. Also the fact that they were made by Hofner. I guess my myopic view of guitars has caused me to miss a lot of other brands. They also make a pretty nice LP Style guitar as well. As I said I only knew of one guitar/bass by them. I always got them confused with Hohner who makes harmonicas, and Accordions (that I once owned.)
I really have only collected the Fender/Gibson family of guitars.
I have one "other" brand, a Vintage Icon Gold Top. The store I buy most of my guitars from has alsways been very eclectic in their stock of guitars.
Along with all the Gibson, Gibson Custom Shop, Fender and Fender Custom Shop stuff they have quite a variety of other brands.
The Manager/Senior tech is a really well known player as well, and has a feel for really neat guitars that present good bang for the buck.
It seems every time I ask about a cool new guitar on the market he either has one or has one or two on order.
He has both the Black and the Red of the Verythin CTs in stock.
Don't get this confused with the actual Verythin Hofner mad in Germany. They retail for 2800 bucks. The CTs are in the 500 range Can.
The only thing on the horizon for me is probably the Epiphone Nighthawk.
I have dibs on one of those on order, in honeyburst!