PDA

View Full Version : Your most passionate guitar buy

Jimi75
November 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
All of us have made this one big mistake. You buy something in a hurry or fall in love with something through a catalogue and after a few days you figure out it is complete shite! The most difficult thing is to explain this to your wife, if you are married, because most of the time you kept telling her how good this guitar is and that you definitely need to have it.

Besides this very embarassing situation there are the true moments, I mean you hear or play a guitar and you know exactly that's it!

For me it was my ESP Eclipse (Les Paul Type). I was looking for a Paula and checked the regular stuff like Gibson, Epiphone and so on. Then two hours before a Joe Bonamassa concert I went to the local store and he had this guitar. I took it from the wall, plugged in and I knew that I had to have this guitar! The tone was so sweet, the looks were great and so on, you know what I am talking about. 1.5 months later my boss came to me and he said for my good work I could choose a Notebook of my choice as a present! I took the most expensive one of our line, brought it the next day to a friend of mine who runs an Ebay Agency and believe it or not, a guy came in and bought it straight away, cash in my hands! I called the music store and they still had that particular guitar, not just another model of the series. I kept the serial number in mind or at least I tried and I recognized it on the day I bought it. I put my two kidz in the car and drove to the store, where they already set up the guitar to my likenings. This was and still is big passion and I must admit that it was only the second time in my life, I made such an experience with buying an instrument. The first was my Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

How about you, any experience like that?

Greetz
Jimi75

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Besides this very embarassing situation there are the true moments, I mean you hear or play a guitar and you know exactly that's it!

The first was my Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

How about you, any experience like that?

Greetz
Jimi75

Mine was a very similar strat, the 60th Ann. Std. Better than the other MIMs I played, and equal to an american I also compared with. The maple neck just had, and has, the feel for me. I am trying to put out of my mind a nice Larrivee acoustic that is in the local shop that has the same immediate, instinctive appeal. I cannot go there.

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2006, 03:22 PM
All of us have made this one big mistake. You buy something in a hurry or fall in love with something through a catalogue and after a few days you figure out it is complete shite! The most difficult thing is to explain this to your wife, if you are married, because most of the time you kept telling her how good this guitar is and that you definitely need to have it.

Did this once and lucky for me Guitar Center took it back *whew*

Traded what I got initially for something else...which also ended up being traded for my Muddy Waters Tele. I accomplished the good with the bad all around the same time between the 3 guitars. The 2nd guitar was nice though, but I just HAD TO HAVE the Muddy. And it will look freakin' sick with a new single ply matte black pickguard on it. :DR

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Well, my musical acquisitions have been neither as numerous nor as grandiose as many of you, but....

Mistake: The Digitech RP-200A Modeling Guitar Processor. Had to have it, then couldn't figure out why after playing with it for a while. Valuable object lesson in that I discovered that I'm a stomp pedal guy, with no patience for dialing in 73 different parameters and saving the result to some vast library of patch settings with exotic names. The good news was that I sold it on eBay for almost exactly what I paid for it. No harm, no foul....

Match Made in Heaven: I went to GC to try out Ibanez Artcore semi-hollowbodies, and picked up an Epiphone Dot that happened to be sitting in a stand next to the amp I was plugged into. Love at first strum. Sometimes you just luck into a guitar (or whatever) that fits you like a glove, feels as comfortable as an old flannel shirt, touches your soul. I still can't believe they sell these things for $400 new....

Nelskie
November 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Most passionate guitar gear buy. Hmmm . . . . tough question. I have a stable full of gear that I really dig. But if I'd have to narrow it down to one, it'd be the recent acquisition of my '68 Fender Super Reverb. It was and always has been the pot of gold sitting at the end of my "Grail Tone" rainbow - the long-anticipated culmination of a dream. But perhaps more importantly, it serves as my own personal launching pad into whole new world of tone and playing, offering me a point of clairty so profound that I am both awestruck and inspired at the same time. I could only describe it as the feeling a space traveler would have when planting a flag on a distant planet, and saying to himself "I'm finally here."

Only my fingers and soul know where this journey leads . . . ;)

Robert
November 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
My Fulltone Clyde wah. I tried it in the store and was blown away. I did a lousy trade on a Legend amp but walked out with the Clyde way.

tremoloman
November 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Back when I knew nothing about what made a guitar tick, I bought a used Powerhouse Strat on eBay for around $200. Stock, I hated how it sounded and slowly made one improvement after another. This guitar was a FrankenStrat in every sense of the word. Each mod I made improved it until it became tied with Pinky as my favorite guitar.

I think everyone should find a guitar and learn how what makes it tick. You learn so much with up-close first hand experience. Had I not done this, I wouldn't ever have discovered how much a nut, tremolo block, and pickups can alter the tonal qualities of a guitar.

F_BSurfer
November 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Over the last four months i have bought 7 guitars but the one that I really looked hard for was the Peavey Reactor Covered about a 100 mile radius checking guitar stores and pawn shops.I have seen Peavey mention here a couple times and if you can find one of the older american line preditors or reactors you won't be disapointed.When searching for this one did find couple good buys along the way found a Epihone Les Paul special II with an duncan invader in the bridge awesome guitar for 50 bucks.