PDA

View Full Version : ESP LTD M-100FM review

deeaa
January 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
I got this to work on it:

http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_m100fm_stbk.htm

Used for ~year or so. Not really a very good guitar, IMO. For the same money a Squier Classic or something is much more a guitar. This I don't think would even make a good base for a bastadizing project like most of mine are.

The build of the guitar is impeccable as any instrument today. The neck is straight and sturdy yet thin enough & feels good. Playability is actually quite good. The guitar also looks rather cool.

The bad sides are - for starters it's very heavy for this kind of guitar. The fret level isn't top notch, while you get a nice low action it would need some fine tuning in the upper register, as it can 'ground' ugly when doing bigger bends high up. Also the frets show significant wear here and there after only a year of playing.

These could be rectified, however, with a little TLC and fretwork, although the fretwire material seems a little soft which makes me worry for future. The weight I don't like though.

Then the biggest problem. The guitar came adjusted for perfect intonation on 12th fret but it doesn't sound right elsewhere. I worked on it for close to two hours and made the intonation a workable compromise where it's roughly intonated OK accross the scale but not exact anywhere. I had to move the saddles back a good lenght and it is obvious to me that to get a better intonation the locking saddle would have to move closer by almost a millimetre or so. The 1st fret is just too far. Now this would already be a bigger problem to work, at least for me that is simply too much work to justify keeping this kind of guitar.

It's now intonated well enough for any beginner etc. but still, surprisingly bad for a modern CNC's instrument. It could perhaps be a good candidate for testing a Buzz Feiten nut, though. But it being a straight-to-lock nut, no actual bone nut there makes it harder. If I'd make it my player I'd remove the nut and put in a normal nut and put the lock behind that, where there is actually an extra bar keeping the strings down BEFORE the nut (why, I can't understand).

Anyway, onto the floyd (copy). Not good. Might have been good when new, but despite (I'm told) very little use if any, it's clearly worn. Doesn't return to tune too well when used heavily.

Also, it doesn't work lightly as a proper floyd should - stiff and weird, but still just lax enough so that hitting a hard low E makes it wobble. Even my 100-dollar Yamaha junker I resurrected has a Floyd copy that is ten times better than this sorry excuse of a Floyd.

Going on with the Floyd setup...there isn't any room in the body to pull up high enough. It pulls up annoyingly just a hair under one step, no more.

Finally the main tuners are total crap & loose as hell, which doesn't really matter thanks to the locks - but also the Floyd's fine tuners are so loose you practically need to breath on them to knock it outta tune.

I made it playable with a nice action and overall OK intonation, and it's quite OK if you don't use the floyd and play mostly between 1st and 8th fret...after that the chords sound dead and there are occasional 'grounding' problems.

This verifies my ideas that you can get a totally professional axe by buying something like a Squire CV or something and working it over, but this kind of axes are built more for show and dollar signs in sight...it works fine as a starter guitar but no matter how much work or bastardizing I'd put in it, I'd never make a great guitar out of it.

Gimme an old, beat-up Charvel, Charvette, Yamaha, Squier, something rather than these new ones...with the old ones, if you find one with light woods and a straight neck you can make it just as good as any $20.000 guitar really, but if the basics are this compromised...naah.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6nk96PAbWiI/TTvT72eManI/AAAAAAAADhw/s7zZO-EcyXs/s912/IMAG0611.jpg

Jimi75
January 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
That's a rather bad review. I assume that the LTD series is only "playble" and gigworthy in the higher end series. I have played an EC-1000 and it was a brillant guitar. Have checked the lower models out of the 100 series, 2-3 times and I thought they were not great for beginners. I'm with you regarding the point that a Squier Classic is ten times better as a beginners instrument.

deeaa
January 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Still tweaked it and been playing it some. I should mention that with light strings it does play like butter now, despite the action not being extremely low. The scale and neck shape make for pleasant playing.

I do like the neck shape fine, and in this shape I could say it'd be worth maybe 150-200 to a beginner - doesn't sound bad at all thru a modeling amph.

BUT it's painfully clear that if you make a guitar that sells ~300-400 and it has to include all the floyds and all and look good, you gotta cut some corners here and there. And since you can't skimp on looks and features, it's gotta be the bone basics, then.

This will never be a great guitar, even with new frets and nut relocation it'd still be heavy and need a better floyd - just not worth it to tweak it any further...but I guess it fills the slot it has OK. As a beginner instrument.

It's a far cry from the Squire I bastardized a while back. I mean, that thing has an excellent neck as well, totally straight and needed no fret work at all and I can get the action lower than I'd ever even want no problems. Just some nut filing and new tuners and it's perfect. Woods sound nice and are light, and I've been playing it as my main axe for a few months now and it stays in tune impeccably and seems to be VERY stable in changes of temps and all - all in all, a really very good guitar. Can't say any super-pricey Fender or whatever could be any better except cosmetically, and some may not like the glossy neck.

Ch0jin
January 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Nice review there deeaa. Just two things though...

1. Smile :)
2. The giant bottle of lube on your left and the used tissue on your right disturbs me somewhat....:laughingatyou :poke

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2011, 08:34 AM
That confirms that I would stay away from the lower end LTDs... The 300s and up can be quite good, and I played an H model LTD that was outstanding last year, with excellent fit, finish and playability (it also had EMGz to boot!).

ESP/LTD make good guitars... but their beginner models lack in build execution IMO.

I've had my ESP now for about 17-18 years, and it still plays great. Squier and other brands take up the slack on the lower end guitar market, to me.

marnold
January 24th, 2011, 12:17 PM
This is probably stating the obvious, but did you try to set the intonation with the bridge floating? You really need to block it first, otherwise you won't get anywhere close. Some Floyd knock-offs are good like the JT580LP on my Jackson. The REALLY low end ones, well, not so much. Unfortunately I think they just turn people off to whammy bars altogether.

deeaa
January 24th, 2011, 12:22 PM
It doesn't really matter if you block it or not, since you always have to loosen the whole string to move the damned bit...and then re-tune the entire instrument between each change. Meaning you have to adjust it by eye, then see what it did, and again eyeball how much is needed, till you get it right.

marnold
January 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
It doesn't really matter if you block it or not, since you always have to loosen the whole string to move the damned bit...and then re-tune the entire instrument between each change. Meaning you have to adjust it by eye, then see what it did, and again eyeball how much is needed, till you get it right.
That much is true. However, if it's floating, each tweak is going to throw the balance of the whole thing off. Maybe not by much, but it will be enough to make your life miserable when setting the intonation. Blocking it will at least ensure that you are just dealing with that one string and the bridge instead of also the other strings, the springs, etc. Regardless, setting intonation is never pleasant on a Floyd.

For some reason, my low E string above the 14th fret sounds off, even though my tuner insists it's not. Could just be a timbre issue, not sure. Since I don't play that high on the low E, I don't worry about it unless I'm feeling particularly AR.