PDA

View Full Version : NGD - Godin Icon Type 3

bcdon
January 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I did a brief post the other day in another thread but thought I'd post some details here.

This is one of Godin's first Set-Neck (Mahogany) designs and it is really sweet. It has a ebony fingerboard with a nice 16" radius. There are three Lollar P90s that can be switched between: neck, neck+middle (a big neck-humbucker), middle, middle+bridge (big bridge-humbucker), and bridge. It also has a 'High-definition revoicer' that seems to act as an active-preamp. These P90s sound great. I've never had a P90 before and it is really fun to switch to a single pickup and hear the low hum in the background..pretty cool!

Here are a few pictures:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4187.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4200.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4198.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4194.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4179.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/bcdon/Godin%20Icon%20Type%203/DSCN4175.jpg

bcdon
January 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Some nice videos:
hDx9df8aHlY
buYtJXBwHFM

bcdon
January 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I bought the Godin at Tom's Guitars in wonderful Medford, OR. They have really great people so if you are in the Medford area I highly recommend you stop by... and play a Godin!

I'm really happy with my new Godin and as she is from Canada I'm glad to have brought her back home with me. ;-) :dude

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
That's a beautiful guitar... and it would last you a lifetime. Godin makes great instruments.

Congrats!

barber76
January 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM
2 bcdon: go away, GASman! :mad Seriously, I was afraid of the day somebody posts pics of Godin Icon. It's too beautiful...

Eric
January 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Dude, that guitar is freaking amazing looking. I mentioned earlier that it was on the short list of my high-end LP guitars, but I think it might be top-3 (Hamer Monaco, Heritage H150, Godin Icon).

tjcurtin1
January 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Godins look so great - nice designs and details. I've been gas-free a long time, so don't get me started!

syo
January 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Really sweet, bcdon.
I was just told that I have a new Gretsch waiting for me downstairs in shipping and now I'm gassing for your Godin before I've even seen my own guitar...
Congrats!

Perfect Stranger
January 25th, 2011, 04:23 AM
SA-weet! I love me some Godins. they make exceptional guitars. Congrats!

DeanEVO_Dude
January 25th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Damn! Look how clean that contol cavity is!! Have you EVER seen such a thing... Very nice lookin guitfiddle. I always loves me a good solid hunk of mahagony wood, especially if it is shaped into something useable.

kidsmoke
January 25th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Nice Don, that is a serious axe. I played Lollar P90's in a friends LP clone, great tone.

With the three p'ups and the "revoicer" it should quite a honeymoon. Lot's of exploring to do. Enjoy! Look forward to hearing more about it.

FrankenFretter
January 25th, 2011, 08:00 AM
She's a beauty, Don. She looks right at home in front of your Mesa. Cool that you got a P90 guitar, I love the sound of P90s.

Rawk on! :rockya

otaypanky
January 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Wear your earplugs and hold on tight Don!
Nah, just kidding, no plugs, just twist it up.
That looks like a great setup with a 5 way switch and 3 P90's :rockya

Robert
January 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Cool man, great guitar I bet! Congratulations.

MAXIFUNK
January 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Enjoy that looks great.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM
That shore looks purdy! Congrats!

bcdon
January 25th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys!

I picked it up on a road-trip and had been playing over holiday using AmpliTube but these P90s sound even better on real speakers (good thing I remembered to pack my computer, cable, and DI along with the snow shovel and tire chains -- didn't have to use the chains but the AmpliTube sure came in handy!) :dude

Another neat thing about this guitar is that it uses a GraphTech 'ResoMax' bridge that has a magnet that stays in place while changing string.. well, that's what they claim, I haven't had to change strings just yet. :-)

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=19

...the AutoLock locking feature magnetically secures your bridge and tailpiece at all times without tools to use or lose, making restringing simple and quick.

Tig
January 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
A Godin with triple Lollar P90's?
Can it get any better than that?

Very nice, Don. :applause

bcdon
January 25th, 2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks, Tig. I must admit that I never heard of Lollar before, nor even thought about P90s.. but man, are they ever sweet. It seems every time I go looking for a certain kind of guitar (I was thinking Jackson sololist-ish) I wind up with something completely different.. That's cool, as I really like this Godin. Thanks again!

NWBasser
January 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Wow, what a smokin' guitar.

That looks like a very different and interesting execution with the three P-90s and active circuitry.

It looks stunning. I've never played a Godin, but I've only heard great things about them.:thumbsup

guitarhack
January 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Geez! Like we needed another guitar to lust after! That is a seriously wicked looking and sounding guitar. Congratulations!

Blaze
January 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
NiiiiiiiCe !! Congrats for this well built and gorgeous Quebec:canada: guitar ..:applause :applause

kidsmoke
January 26th, 2011, 04:17 PM
In many circles, Lollar Imperials are regarded as simply the very best PAF clones available, and his P90's are held in similar esteem. He's a regular guy too. Winds all his p'ups, plays out with a band, (with his Imperials, in an ES 335 as his main axe.

Builds guitars as well. Just those p'ups cost more than I can spend on a guitar these days. Very much top of the line.

duhvoodooman
January 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Beautiful guitar there! And Lollar p'ups are absolutely top shelf. Nice score!! :rockya :thumbsup :applause

sumitomo
January 26th, 2011, 05:03 PM
SWEET!!!! Sumi:D

wingsdad
January 26th, 2011, 11:12 PM
That's one helluva guitar you got yerself, bcdon :thumbsup

MY Local GAS station is a Godin/Seagull et al dealer, and he's got a new Godin Progression on the wall... like a strat on steroids, with that HDR Revoicer circuit on board. I've been too scared of myself to even look at it, let alone test it. Your new toy piques my curiousity....

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2011, 12:49 AM
:hungry That there is some serious tonal firepower and sweetness. Congrats!!

bcdon
January 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys!

And Blaze, it's good to have her back in Canada! I'm no where near Richmond, Quebec but I do work in Richmond, BC! :canada: :dude

kiteman
January 28th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Simply stunning. :thumbsup

Congrats on a beautiful axe.

Brian Krashpad
January 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM

^This!

Looks great, congrats!

street music
January 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Great Godin you have there Don. Wingsdad have you by any chance tried one of the new SESSION by Godin?? None of the dealers near me have any in stock and I'm thinking about one of those in a GAS way.

Eric
January 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Great Godin you have there Don. Wingsdad have you by any chance tried one of the new SESSION by Godin?? None of the dealers near me have any in stock and I'm thinking about one of those in a GAS way.
I tried one at a local dealer. I liked it a lot and would probably consider one if I found a good deal on one. Hopefully you can find one to check out eventually.

wingsdad
January 30th, 2011, 11:12 PM
...Wingsdad have you by any chance tried one of the new SESSION by Godin?? ....
No, I haven't, Street. Didn't get a chance to swing by the Godin dealer GAS Station for the past couple of weeks...usually has only as 1 or 2 Godin electrics, 3 or 4 Seagull and LaPatrie or Simon & Patrick acoustics...I will check out the Progression next time I drop in, if it's still there, out of curiosity and nothing more, since I think it's about an $800 price tag (new), and we don't own a dog.

bcdon
March 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM
You guys really have to check out this Godin Icon. It is totally awesome. The only reason it is not a $4,000 guitar is that it says Godin instead of Gibson. If you want a high end guitar without the Gibson-tax, Godin is the way to go! :dude

bcdon
May 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM
This is one fine guitar! If you never checked out a Godin, you really have to! I love these P90s.. they are not as high gain as my Zakk Wylde Epiphone + Seymour Duncan Blackouts but if you play this bad-boy behind a MXR fullbore-metal you will never know. From clean to crunch (and then some), I really recommend this fantastic guitar. :dude

FrankenFretter
May 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
This is one fine guitar! If you never checked out a Godin, you really have to! I love these P90s.. they are not as high gain as my Zakk Wylde Epiphone + Seymour Duncan Blackouts but if you play this bad-boy behind a MXR fullbore-metal you will never know. From clean to crunch (and then some), I really recommend this fantastic guitar. :dude

How are the P90s for hum/noise? I've had one guitar with P90s that I really liked the sound of, but it was a tad noisy.

Eric
May 30th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I'm a Godin bolt-on owner, but I have been sweating those set necks since they came out. Unfortunately, it's pretty tough to find Godins in this area, otherwise I would have tried one by now.

bcdon
May 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
How are the P90s for hum/noise? I've had one guitar with P90s that I really liked the sound of, but it was a tad noisy.

The hum is there but isn't too noticeable until you crank up the gain. I really dig the growl.

bcdon
July 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
These Lollar (http://www.lollarguitars.com/) P90s are so amazingly sweet.... even the hum sounds good.

Commodore 64
July 8th, 2011, 07:28 AM
That guitar is absolutely awesome. I'd love to have that.

bcdon
July 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks, C64. It's a super comfortable guitar as well. I had never thought about getting a guitar with P90s but they sound spectacular.