PDA

View Full Version : STEFAN GROSSMAN INSTRUCTIONAL DVDs

piebaldpython
January 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I have Stefan Grossman's DVD "Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques", a 2 DVD set for beginner/intermediate guitarists who want to start fingerpicking. Close to 3 hrs of instruction via learning songs by Rev Gary Davis, MJH, etc.

http://guitarvideos.com/video/dvd/9667dvd.htm

Stefan is an outstanding teacher, the video close-ups of both hands is excellent and he goes really slow, speeds it up and then performs at regular speed. This is an excellent introduction to fingerpicking. An outstanding selection of different type tunes/styles to draw from.

However......the ONLY glaring fault that I find.....and to me it's huge....is that while he explains the coordination of thumb/fingers, Stefan doesn't give ANY exercises/drills for how to in-grain that into your playing. So, not much about how to get that driving bass and mix it with treble string melody. Well, without that, solo fingerpicking just isn't going to happen. He more or less it assumes that it will come to you. While it might for some, I think most players would do better with exercises/drills to inculcate that skill into your playing.