PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help

AudioWonderland
January 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I am looking for a speaker that works well with both Marshall and Fender amps for studio work. Any recommendations?

mrmudcat
January 26th, 2011, 10:23 PM
vintage -30..... english version

deeaa
January 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Depends entirely what kind of sound you're after...and what kind of amps you use. For my ptp Ceria for instance the Vintage 30 is waaaayyyyy too shrill and definite, and it works much much better with low-wattage, and/or small-magnet speakers like Greenbacks.

For studio work I'd build a 4x12" with 4 different speakers and a choice of inputs etc...one V30, one Greenback, one T75...so on.

Tone2TheBone
January 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM
The Vintage 30 clone I have in my Blues Jr. sounds awesome and that's a tiny amp compared to my Jubilee. I think it's a perfect balance of tone with that speaker and it handles low frequencies real well. The Jensen I had in before was the one that was ultra shrill for me. Only your own ears will tell you what you are looking for.

tunghaichuan
January 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm going to make an unpopular recommendation: the Celestion G12M-70 Modern Lead. Most guitar players hate these speakers, but since you need a speaker for both Fender and Marshall sounds, I think the G12M-70 would be a good compromise.

They have less mid-range and are more neutral sounding than most Celestions, but still retain some of the Celestion character.

It also depends on how you plan to use the speaker. The G12M-70 sounds fairly good clean, but not so great when pushed into breakup. They sound better with preamp gain to my ears.

Personally, I think any speaker you choose will be a compromise. In general, speakers voiced for Marshalls do not do Fender clean well, and vice versa.

oldguy
January 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Only your own ears will tell you what you are looking for.

That is so true.

There are lots of good choices out there nowadays. I'd suggest listening to some of the offerings from Eminence also.
In the end, you will have to judge by what sounds good to you.
I have a 2x12 loaded w/ Celestions, and a 4x12 w/ Eminence Lady Luck.
They both sound good to me.