PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive Overkill!!

duhvoodooman
January 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Here is a rather long but very well done YouTube video comparing 35 different overdrive pedals (though some might better be described as boosts or distortions). They run the gamut from off-the-shelf, mass-produced effects to $400+ boutique pedals, including many of the most revered names among overdrives. If you have an interest in these types of pedals and can spare 35 minutes, it's worth your while. I think one thing you may be struck by is how similar so many of these sound. A few stand out, but not as many as you might think. And sometimes not the ones you might think!

If you really want to be truly objective in your assessment, try listening without looking at the video. With one exception--the new Klon Centaur prototype--they are introduced only by flashing the name up on the screen for a couple of seconds. Make your notes of what you like & what you don't, and then go back through it a second time to pick up what they actually are.

WuTt8YFblcE

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2011, 03:07 PM
They got the ZYS in there?

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
What a great find DVM, thanks for posting! I'll flag that for watching later today.

Edit: Oh damn, no King of Tone :( I'm really interested in that sucker.

duhvoodooman
January 27th, 2011, 04:00 PM
They got the ZYS in there?
No, the poor, ignorant fools! ;)

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Yah, they just don't know. I just entered that Dunlop Way Huge Green Rhino overdrive contest, but I am wondering why. I have all the shaping (and more) I need in that ZYS. Someone better order one in those last few build slots you have.

Tone2TheBone
January 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
The Zonkin Yellow Screamer is the best overdrive pedal on this planet. There I said it Google for all the world to see.