PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Practice Amps

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I think this thread is in the right spot as I anticipate the amp I am discussing will not include modelling. In connection with my shopping for my son for a guitar (see Rumor, Squire 51 thread), I am interested in what the fretters think is the best cheap practice amp to go with such a guitar, if I get a guitar for him that does not come with an amp. Don't really need to overthink it here, but just wanted to know if there are any real lemons to stay away from, or any gems to look for. Would like to stay within the small, easily transported category. I am not looking for a Vox AD15VT or up, that is too much. I am talking small and cheap. :p
Thanks, Steve

warren0728
November 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
not sure about your budget....but for a tube amp the epiphone valve jr. combo is the way to go....less than $150 bucks...an on/off switch and a volume knob....doesn't get much simpler than that!

I love mine.....

ww

Hogfullofblues
November 4th, 2006, 10:02 AM
If you have a Guitar Center nearby, this one seems to fit the bill for cheap, has some modeling, and you could try it out. Good reviews too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_behringer_vtone_gm108_15w_modeling_guitar_comb o_amp?full_sku=480698

Good Luck,

duhvoodooman
November 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I am talking small and cheap.
Define "cheap". I'm still trying to get recalibrated after reading Bass2Guitar's description of a "cheap" acoustic as under $1000! :eek: So the term is clearly a relative one!

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
not sure about your budget....but for a tube amp the epiphone valve jr. combo is the way to go....less than $150 bucks...an on/off switch and a volume knob....doesn't get much simpler than that!

I love mine.....

ww

I will probably have the Vox AD50 (maybe 30) for myself, and am looking for something really small and cheap for my son to start with. Duhvoodooman had mentioned the concept in connection with a 3/4 size strat knock off that would come with "a cheap 10W SS amp". I am going to stick with a full size guitar for him, like the Squire 51 or an SX strat, or consider a cheap and decent LP knockoff, so will need to get the amp separately. For point of reference, my guitar instructor loaned me an Epiphone EP800R which says on the back that it is 25W and is solid state. It appears to have come with an Epihone LP copy that my instructor inherited from a kid's mom who said "take it away" when her kid quit. The LP copy honestly is not very good. The EP800 makes is ok, but is a little buzzy with my strat if you turn up the reverb or gain at all. So down in that el cheapo range, are there any gems? I could just share the Vox with him for short term and get something later, like the Valve Jr. Or, save $120 and get the AD30 instead of the 50 and be most of the way toward a Valve Jr.

duhvoodooman
November 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
That Behringer SS modeling amp that Hog suggested is a good option. I think you really need an amp that will offer a kid a lot of different sounds to play around with & help hold his interest.

The Valve Jr. is a great little amp and an amazing value, but it's extreme simplicity and brutally honest "your ears get back exactly what your fingers play" character is probably not the best approach for a beginner.

warren0728
November 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
steve i have both the ad30vt and the valve jr....two totally different amps....the valve jr. is a true class a tube amp....simple....clean to about 11 o'clock on the dial then starts to break up as you turn the volume up. I like this little amp.

The ad30vt is very loud (plenty loud for at home) but has a pretty steep learning curve....you are talking about modeling amp extraordinare here!

The ad50vt will be louder but i think all the modeling features are the same as the 30.

I say get the 30 and the valve jr. then you have two completely different sounding and functioning amps.

ww

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Define "cheap". I'm still trying to get recalibrated after reading Bass2Guitar's description of a "cheap" acoustic as under $1000! :eek: So the term is clearly a relative one!

DVM:

I define cheap in this circumstance as well under $100. The Behringer unit Hog suggested looks like a good option at 59.99. Glad to have your thought about the brutal honesty of the Valve Jr. That makes sense. It is supposed to be fun and rewarding for him. I amended my post to let the fretters know that I was getting the idea from your mention of the cheap 10W SS amps that come with Jr. guitar combos. I am currently borrowing the Epi EP800 which seems to be in line with the SS amps you were talking about. Ok, but not great. The Vox DA5 costs almost as much as a valve jr. and I was trying to stay away from that. The Berhinger unit might fit. Will have to try it on my Boise trip when I shop for Derek's guitar.

Justaguyin_nc
November 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I still am not sure how cheap you want to go.. but have the following suggestions.. The Epiphone Valve Jr Combo if you wish him to start with tubes but he probably will be doing alot of practicing the others in the house would not wish to hear.. so a headphone amp would be suggested.. a couple of very good reviewed and sounding amps come to mind..

If you want to stay in the VOX area, they have the portable DA5 which should sound similar to it's big brothers and sells online for around $140.00 although pricey he would always keep it for the battery part later ..

There is also the Roland MicroCube which is another very good portable amp with great clean and dirty sounds plus effects, headphone, battery or ac and cd input.. selling around $125.00.. again something to keep when older for portable use going with the gals to the beach..

My latest addition which I really like the sound of but comes with no speaker is the $99.00 Crate Powerblock.. here you will have something to grow into.. its very small..comes with a carrying case, cd input, headphone, xlr lineout to computer, mixer etc etc.. has a descent sound on it's own while excepting pedals nicely.. and at the begining he could use headphones or connect to a computer.. while he grows with the guitar he can get a single speaker.. later a 2x12, then a contract with a record company and some 4x12's... just a thought... its a pro sound at a steal price

final choice..would be a Fender Frontman 15R for $99.99.. has Reverb, two channels.. cd input.. 8 inch speaker and the fender name to go along with your squier... probably more of what your looking for anyways.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-15R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480668

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM

I know a Google multizillionaire: talk about calibration issues!!

My definitions for a guitar for myself.

Cheap: < $100
Great Deal: <= $150
Christmas present: $300
Splurge that would require much agonizing: $500

That's all in the noise for this guy.

If only I could convince him to send a little noise my way;)

Justaguyin_nc
November 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM
DVM:

I define cheap in this circumstance as well under $100. The Behringer unit Hog suggested looks like a good option at 59.99.

oops must have posted this right when you did.. way under $100.00... hmmm have no clue.. also remember if you go under $99.00 most places are going to hit you with shipping charges if mail ordered... probably bringing the price darn near $99.00 anyways..

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I know a Google multizillionaire: talk about calibration issues!!

My definitions for a guitar for myself.

Cheap: < $100
Great Deal: <= $150
Christmas present: $300
Splurge that would require much agonizing: $500

That's all in the noise for this guy.

If only I could convince him to send a little noise my way;)

I concur with those numbers. For instance, I had to agonize over the 60th std. Strat. A nice acoustic is another example. For my son's first, I was looking at the killer deal dept. for guitar (like Squire 51) and something cheap to go with it. I will have to try out the Behringer unit and see.

Spudman
November 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Some of the Peavey "transtube" amphs can be had for less than $100 and sound pretty good to me.

Robert
November 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hey, the 10 watt SX amp I got with my SX Strat sounds really good! The speaker is super tiny, but tone is awesome for an amp that sells for around $30 bucks!

kerc
November 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R. Might be some of the best-sounding solid-state amps in the market.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R. Might be some of the best-sounding solid-state amps in the market.

Thanks Robert and Kerc. I'll check those out too when the time is right.

SuperSwede
November 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Perhaps for the price and as a dedicated practice amp, but there is WAY better solid state amps available if you want to cough up some dollaritos. Jazz Chorus & Sessionette to name two. The best solid state amps imho are the ones that doesnt wanna be "almost like tube in this one". SS amps that are designed as solid state amps, and dont try to imitate tube amps sounds better imho.