PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Selling Gear

syo
January 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I am suddenly considering doing something I have never done in my 20+ years acquiring gear. I am actually thinking about selling some of it. Now I have lent (permanently it seems) or outright given gear away but I have never felt like I wanted to sell any of it. I guess I've come to realize that I have some guitars that I really like but never really play. As my playing has developed there are a few that I just don't reach for anymore. Plus my personal space is noticeably dwindling. My new Gretsch in it's case is equal in size two strats in theirs, nearly...

Anyway this has me wondering about other fretter's thoughts and experience selling gear (or not. I do seem to remember that Spudman is a committed non-seller, yes?). So tell us, do you turn over gear sometimes? Often? Or do you strictly collect?

Jimi75
January 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I came to the exact point syo and Feng Shui is the solution to it all. I had lots of gear that I rarely used. Guitars, pedals and stuff were piled and filled my room. On the one hand I could hardly think of selling all this gear (we guitarists are all the same...), but on the other hand I had developped as a player and wanted to acquire better more quality gear. My thought was, one great amp, two great guitars and a hand full of good pedals. In the end I sold a lot of gear, I really blew out the stuff that was collecting dust and I also sold the so and so guitars. It was the best decision I made. A big part of the revenue went directly into my my LP, my 76 Strat and my JTM45. I have a well organized music room with lots of space right now and when I grab a guitar, it is definitely a guitar I ALWAYS love to play and not a guitar I just play out of a bad concious!

Perfect Stranger
January 28th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I buy and sell equipment constantly in my never ending search for the perfect rig. (if I practiced that much I'd be able to play also).
I've found that it's better to trade with people you're are comfortable with and trust, than to try and sell to strangers...ie CL or Ebay.
Not only will you come closer to realizing your original investment, but it's much easier to resolve any problems.

Katastrophe
January 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM
In 20 + years I have gotten rid of the following gear:

Marshall cab (sold to purchase smaller amph)
Rack mount power amph (fried beyond repair)
Rack preamp / processor (sold on consignment, switching too slow)
"Mako" electric guitar (pointy Jackson copy, given to a friend)
Sears guitar amph (given to same friend)
Sears electric (neck cracked, electronics failed, stripped body, then trashed the plywood body)
Hondo acoustic (first guitar, neck warped, frets flattened, bridge worn away by steel strings)
Charvel Dinky (sold on Cragslist)
Crate amph (sold on Craigslist)

The only things I really regret selling were the Charvel and the Marshall cab. The other items (in my n00bish inexperience) were rendered nonfunctioning, given for someone else to learn, or were sold off to fund different/better gear.

My other guitars, I've had for a minimum of 4 years, with the ESP (about 16-17years old), and the Ibanez (about 18 years old) being the oldest.

The point of all this semi-nonsensical rambling is that there is some gear worth keeping, some worth giving away, and some worth selling off.

I applaud the members who can keep the "when a new guitar comes in, an old one must go" philosophy. It keeps the music room from getting too cluttered, and makes sure that there is a cool, desired guitar handy.

I've never really wanted to have a huge guitar room filled with 9,000 guitars and amphs. Nothing wrong with it (and I drool over Spud's variety of guitfiddles), but I'll never have the money or space for a ton of different gear. Just gimme a Strat, Tele, Paul type, and a semi-or full hollow body, and a good versatile amph with a few effects and I would be content forever.

otaypanky
January 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have trouble getting rid of stuff. I take it out, all ready to sell it. Then I wipe it down and check it out to make sure it's fully functional and ready for sale. Then it happens~~~ I suddenly remember why I fell in love with it in the first place. LOL
I have been able to sell off a number of guitars and a bunch of amps this last year. And I sold quite a few guitars and amps back in 2006 when we were moving to Pa.
All of my pieces of gear are like old friends. You don't get to spend time with them every day, but it is great when you do. And it's a sad day when you lose one ~ Since I took this pic a year or two ago, there's now a 50's Tribute LP and a Republic tricone resonator added to the family. I do manage to play them all, although some way more than most.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/IMG_0589.jpg

wingsdad
January 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Other than my 'core' group of 6 untouchable "forever" axes, everything else I currently have in the quiver has been via a constant, sometimes methodical or 'strategic' series of buys, sells, consignments, trades over past 15 years, and could move out if I had to. Mostly via one local trusted mom n' pop shop, a couple via pawn shop, local friends and with a few friends met via forums other than here, although they may have maintained a 'relationship' here, the friendship mainly offline. Never done a guitar deal of any kind online like c-list, e-bay or online retailers or with landlocked strangers.

Local market value driven by supply/demand -- that in which the guitar or amp is bought -- the biggest factor in the price. I'm 90 miles from Los Angeles, but 35 miles from the nearest Big Box Chain music store. Some guitars/amps that come on the market here used were bought out of the area are because they're otherwise not availble...no Gibson/epi dealers here, for example, since they've pretty much whored themselves out of the realm of indy dealers using GC/MF and the other Boxes as their pimps.

Spudman
January 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I have wall hangers, stands and cases for a lot of guitars. I'll get rid of the extras that don't fit in those places. I have a lot of nice sounding and playing guitars and do play almost all of them regularly, however, I do find myself gravitating to a select couple of dozen or thirty.

I sell on Ebay just because I know my item will usually sell. The buyer field is so much larger than the local market. If I was to sell locally on consignment, my market is limited, economically depressed, and the consignment charges would be as much or more than the Ebay fees.

Syo, my requirements are indeed refining still. The only reason I have been a non seller is because I already knew what I wanted when I bought them, liked them a lot, and played them to make money. Now I'm wanting a few different things so some inventory is on the way out.

syo
January 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have a lot of nice sounding and playing guitars and do play almost all of them regularly, however, I do find myself gravitating to a select couple of dozen or thirty.

I have no reason to doubt you Spud but I must say I find that amazing. A couple of dozen or thirty?! As I've been acquiring guitars (I'm up to 14 I think), I would say I spend quality time with maybe 6 of them and periodically take another 3 out from time to time. You not only own an entire shop's worth of guitars but you actually make good use of them. I'm impressed. :master

I have trouble getting rid of stuff. I take it out, all ready to sell it. Then I wipe it down and check it out to make sure it's fully functional and ready for sale. Then it happens~~~ I suddenly remember why I fell in love with it in the first place.
I can definitely see this happening to me.
By the way Bob, nice family you've got there...

Ch0jin
January 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
After seeing some of Spudmans earlier posts and Otaypankys picture there, I feel extremely ill equipped to comment, what with me only owning three guitars, a bass, three amps, and a dozen or so pedals.

I do get the point though. I have not sold or traded a single item music wise since I got interested in it, because everything I have has some kind of emotional attachment. Granted that's probably because I don't have much gear, and I'm not a pro who knows what gear they need for their signature sounds or anything, but I am all about the stories. I can crack open a beer and tell you a tale about every single bit of gear in my little music corner, and to me, that's worth a lot. Also my main two guitars and my quad are already pretty rare, so by the time my niece and nephews get to the age where they might appreciate that kind of thing, I'll have some killer gear to hand down.

I crave more gear for sure, but I have to temper that desire with the cold truth that I'm a pretty sh*t guitar player ;)

bcdon
January 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Awesome!!!

duhvoodooman
January 28th, 2011, 11:31 AM
That Johnny A model is highly overated. You'll feel much better if you pack it up and send it to me. Really. Trust me on this....

P.S. I'm seeing Johnny A along with Tommy Castro down at BB King's in NYC on Mar. 16! Really looking forward to that....

bcdon
January 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
That Johnny A model is highly overated. You'll feel much better if you pack it up and send it to me. Really. Trust me on this....

And, Bob, when you tire of that kick-a-- Gibson Flying V I have a home for her up here in the Great White North. ;-) :dude

bcdon
January 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I am suddenly considering doing something I have never done in my 20+ years acquiring gear. I am actually thinking about selling some of it.
Oh no! I just put 2 and 2 together and hope you don't plan to hang on to all of your Hell guitars!! Say it ain't so! :thwap

progrmr
January 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM

I nominate Otaypanky for Premium Guitar Collection 1st place.

Sweet collection!

otaypanky
January 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
When I kick the bucket the smart 'Fretters' will be emailing my wife :cry:

bcdon
January 28th, 2011, 03:40 PM
When I kick the bucket the smart 'Fretters' will be emailing my wife :cry:

I don't want it that bad, Bob! Besides, you have to stick around to keep making us guitar straps! :dude

Katastrophe
January 28th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Oh no! I just put 2 and 2 together and hope you don't plan to hang on to all of your Hell guitars!! Say it ain't so! :thwap

ROFLMAO! :rollover :D

Eric
January 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Interesting topic, syo.

I personally have no problem selling gear. I've made a lot of mistakes in my time purchasing guitars. Some I can correct by selling gear, other times I buy such crap that it's not sell-able. One mistake I make frequently is buying teles. I want to love them so much, but in the end I usually decide they're not really for me. Maybe someday...

Anyway, the point: I actually find owning too many guitars to be anxiety-inducing for me, as it is with owning too much of anything. Eventually, you start worrying about justifying owning some guitars and play them compulsively, then want to make sure each one is stringed properly, etc. It sucks the joy out of it for me personally. I don't think everyone is like that, but I am.

Having come to terms with that reality, I can evaluate my guitars pretty objectively. If I play it a lot, I keep it. If not, I'll free up funds (I keep a specific hobby account, which ends up being a guitar account) and space by selling off guitars that aren't in my rotation.

Things that don't sell locally via craigslist (e.g. my Xaviere XV-900) have gone pretty quickly via eBay. Sometimes not for as much as I would have liked, and sometimes for more. eBay is a pain for sure, because of the shipping and fees, but if you want to move something, it's probably the best way.

Sometimes I've listed things on craigslist and on consignment and not sold it, so I've just decided to keep it. In one case, I just put super-light strings on it and keep it around home as a practice axe. I don't know how that approach would work with a bunch of guitars, but it's a tactic I employ periodically.

Whatever you decide about the future of your guitars, I wish you the best luck. It's a tough decision to make, because you feel like you're giving up on a guitar or a decision or potential or something. Still, I feel very much freed after I sell off gear, and I can focus my attention on what I actually use.

FWIW, Jimi's comments were spot on when I think of my own experience, except that I don't own much high-end gear yet. :D

syo
January 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM
No but I'll keep 4 of them out of desire and all of them if I don't make a sale...
They'll keep me company when my wife divorces me for having too many guitars...;)

street music
January 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Please tell us more Spud???? any clues on what is going to sell????

I have wall hangers, stands and cases for a lot of guitars. I'll get rid of the extras that don't fit in those places. I have a lot of nice sounding and playing guitars and do play almost all of them regularly, however, I do find myself gravitating to a select couple of dozen or thirty.

I sell on Ebay just because I know my item will usually sell. The buyer field is so much larger than the local market. If I was to sell locally on consignment, my market is limited, economically depressed, and the consignment charges would be as much or more than the Ebay fees.

Syo, my requirements are indeed refining still. The only reason I have been a non seller is because I already knew what I wanted when I bought them, liked them a lot, and played them to make money. Now I'm wanting a few different things so some inventory is on the way out.

DeanEVO_Dude
January 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
One mistake I make frequently is buying teles. I want to love them so much, but in the end I usually decide they're not really for me. Maybe someday...

I feel ya man! I have done the same thing with Strats... I just got a Bullet hard-tail from my son who decieded not to play and got rid of his gear. I plan on doing a "Van Halen" on it (paint and otherwise "bastardize" it!), but all that has been done is it has been dissasembled! LOL
I also picked up a Korean made Squier, very nice... So far, these are Strats 8 and 9 (or 9 and 10) that I have bought and sold over the years. Like you say, I WANT to love them like I do my other guitars... well you know.

deeaa
January 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Yeah...I don't regret much of my trades. Or, in some cases I sold of stuff ridiculously cheaply, which was stoopid, but...I sold them for good reasons for the most part, and right away or later got some even better stuff instead anyway.

I've sold off a LOT of gear in my time...but, there's not that many I really regret letting go.

Guitars I'd want back again might include a Takamine 12-string with Fishman/Dean Markley pickup combo...and a Charvel 3...but the rest I've sold for good reasons. Well I would take the '92 LP STD back too but I would never pay the money I got from it.

Amps...the only one I really wish I hadn't sold is the Marshall JMP-1 preamp. The old 2203 Marshall 2x12" combo, well maybe...but it was too loud after all. Like the 2210 head. It'd be really sweet to get back the Ampeg VT-22 I had for a few years but never really appreciated, but again I dunno if I would have any use for it. Maybe that Red-Knob Twin which was the best Fender amp I had (I had a couple others as well). Rockmaster rig...Tech.21 PSA.1.1 rig---naah, JMP was better.

Pedals...DOD FX100 TubeFX or something, really should not have sold it off. Maybe the SonicMaximiser...naah. Boss GT-6, I sold it off too quickly I think, I shoulda tested it more thoroughly. Perhaps the same with all them small tube amps I went thru...

Yep, JMP-1, Charvel3...those are the only ones I'd buy back for the same money I sold them for any day. All the others...was nice gear but now I have better! SO I do believe it's good to keep trading and changing stuff around some!

Commodore 64
January 30th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I rarely buy, sell, or trade gear.

bcdon
January 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I rarely buy, sell, or trade gear.
HAHA! I think you could write a "Craigslist GAS for Dummies" book if you wanted too. :D

Spudman
January 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Please tell us more Spud???? any clues on what is going to sell????

Squier Cherryburst Strat, 3 Fullerton Strat style guitars, Squire Strat LTD Edition Silverburst.

Retro Hound
January 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I don't want to buy any gear, sell any gear, or process any gear. I don't want to sell any gear bought or processed, or process any gear bought or sold...

Brian Krashpad
February 2nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
I don't want to buy any gear, sell any gear, or process any gear. I don't want to sell any gear bought or processed, or process any gear bought or sold...

I see what you did there.

As for me, for quite awhile I almost never sold anything. But then I didn't buy much either. Then I got to a middle phase where I bought more, but still would only sell in order to accommodate an perceived upgrade to the overall "collection." Now that I'm pretty full-up, space-wise, I rarely buy, unless it's specifically to "flip," and then enjoy the gear for the short period I have it. I even recently sold a piece not to finance another acquisition, but just to pay some med bills. The guitar went to a friend, and I still have a couple mahogany plank P-90 guitars, so I won't miss it.