PDA

View Full Version : my first !

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mistakes and all, first crack at Garage band, gave it a whirl, I like it.
What's the difference between m4a file and mp3 ? do I need o convert it ?
Can anyone suggest a decent place for uploading free ? I found this box.com in a hurry.

http://www.box.net/public/t9jqdoodjd

go easy on me guys, it aint great but it was fun. :o

- the more I listen to it, the more I cringe. I'll blame it on latency, yah, that's it.

f1point7
November 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
you can use itunes to convert to mp3 from m4a
imo it's better to convert to mp3 coz it's a more common format that can play on almost all media players

btw link's not working for me

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I can see how to convert to aac but no mp3 ??

f1point7
November 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
its somewhere in itunes preferences...

Tim
November 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
For your first attempt it sound pretty darn good. You'r one up on me already. I have played and recorded over other Fretter's backing track. I have not done any recording from scratch ... yet. Nice job!

M29
November 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Keep up the good work. I have done a No1 and a No2 so I am right there with ya. It sure is fun isn't it!! It sounds good!

M29

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Keep up the good work. I have done a No1 and a No2 so I am right there with ya. It sure is fun isn't it!! It sounds good!

M29

That's awesome. One thing though . . . needs more cowbell!:R

Spudman
November 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
That was really good Ted. It reminded me of a Rolling Stones recording session.
Keep it up. The more you do it - the more improvement comes. Recording is awesome!

ted s
November 4th, 2006, 05:02 PM
thanks guy's, there's a couple painful reaches in there.. where is it, I know I'm close, just bend it some more.
Yes, gotta add some cowbell. Maybe I'll post a revived version later.

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
thanks guy's, there's a couple painful reaches in there.. where is it, I know I'm close, just bend it some more.
Yes, gotta add some cowbell. Maybe I'll post a revived version later.

Yeah, with your moniker, I expect to hear you do something like Head East's "Going down for the last time" soon!! Seriously though, I am really impressed. When I post, there may be subtantially more slop evident. But, . . . I'll do it anyway.

Thanks for going ahead and throwing down. Have a great rest of your weekend.

SuperSwede
November 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Ted, it sounds good! Nice to see that you are up and running with Garageband! :)
M4a=AAC but without that copyright thing.

Conversions between different formats is easy:

To convert a song's file format:

Open iTunes Preferences.
Windows: On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
Mac: From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click the Advanced button, then click the Importing button at the top of the window.
From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to, then click OK to save the settings.
Select one or more songs in your library, then from the Advanced menu, choose one of the following (The menu item changes to show what's selected in your Importing preferences):

Convert Selection to MP3
Convert Selection to AAC
Convert Selection to AIFF
Convert Selection to WAV
Convert Selection to Apple Lossless

Hogfullofblues
November 5th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Nice job, Ted! Yea I heard the Stones in there too and was struttin along in my chair. More cowbell? All Fretters need to add this to their Christmas list:

http://www.radmonkeycowbells.com/vlc800.html

Way to go!

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2006, 10:26 AM
More cowbell? All Fretters need to add this to their Christmas list:

Way to go!

Hah, hah!! Hog, where do you find this stuff??!! You crack me up!:D

Spudman
November 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM
That is really cool! Now I have a whole new GAS category. This thing is so subtle you can barely make out the differences between the emulations. Yet it's all there tone, the accuracy and 12 presets. They don't say whether or not you can program your own sounds but I'd really like two that aren't on there; the Swiss Brown, and the Heavy & Light Brass Dairy.

Oh man can you imagine one of these through a looper. It would keep you going for days and days.

Justaguyin_nc
November 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Good Job Ted!! Glad you got the Apple GarageBand going.. Sure wish they had a version for the ole Microsoft crowd..Free ofcourse like the apple version...;) anyways.. mp3 would probably make it easier for more people but they all should work.. don't think there is that much difference size or quality wise.. now that ya broke the water... let's hear more from you soon!!

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2006, 01:36 PM
That is really cool! Now I have a whole new GAS category. . . . Yet it's all there tone, the accuracy and 12 presets. They don't say whether or not you can program your own sounds but I'd really like two that aren't on there; the Swiss Brown, and the Heavy & Light Brass Dairy.

Oh man can you imagine one of these through a looper. It would keep you going for days and days.

I would also like the Hannenkham Downhill screaming at the top of your lungs bell!! Or the Lillihamer equivalent. ;)

SuperSwede
November 5th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Hog.. I started looking for a "buy now!" button.. :D

aeolian
November 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Great job recording and playing. Recording can be a lot of fun; it'll keep you on your toes at least.

aeolian

duhvoodooman
November 6th, 2006, 11:14 AM
A worthy first effort, Ted! Keep it up--the more you do, the easier it becomes. You'll be your own harshest critic, I'll bet!

tot_Ou_tard
November 7th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Nice job, Ted! Yea I heard the Stones in there too and was struttin along in my chair. More cowbell? All Fretters need to add this to their Christmas list:

Way to go!
It needs a tube.

...man I love to play tubular bells.