PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51 GAS Near Lethal Proportions

marnold
November 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
OK, folks. I'm thisclose to ordering a blonde '51 at Musician's Friend. Basically then I would be abandoning upgrading my Charvel Tele (at least for now). I'd set it up for 10s and tune it to Eb for some Stevie/Jimi goodness. Basically this would be my Christmas present in advance. I figure that if I don't like it, I have 45 days to play with it and return it at least.

I'm looking for two things:
1) Someone to convince me that I shouldn't do this. I know that asking this group this is like asking an alcoholic to tell me I shouldn't have a drink.
2) If I go ahead and do this, Robert, do you have a deal with MF so you could get a commission? If so, how do I make use of it?

Spudman
November 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Marnold

If you are suffering from epic GAS then don't go near any open flames. :rolleyes:
It's only $100. Just think...you'll have a new guitar to get you through the winter.

...now for the other sides input

Don't forget if you don't do setups yourself that you will probably spend more money getting it dialed in (fret sprout, action, etc.)

From what I've heard the sunburst and black both sound better than the blonde. My blonde doesn't have that much mojo going for it.

There, did that help?:)

Nelskie
November 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
My blonde doesn't have that much mojo going for it.
Spud - are you sure it's the guitar? :D

Anyways marnold, I'd probably just tell you to go ahead and get it. A hundred bucks is basically pocket change for a guitar. And with the return policy thing going, you don't have to keep it if it doesn't do what you want it to do. As I see it, it's a win-win. Good luck. ;)

Robert
November 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Talk you out of getting a '51? Not gonna happen, no one here will talk you out of it!

It is a cool guitar, no other way around it. It is a budget guitar, but it's cool, sounds great and is easy to upgrade. Soon to be extinct, so what are you waiting for?

Spudman
November 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Spud - are you sure it's the guitar? :D

;)

Some days I'm POSITIVE it's the guitar. Lately though I'm not so sure now that you made me think about it.:(

Marnold. Everyone is right. Just go get one. Run Forest Run!

marnold
November 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM
For those of you who DO own them, how is the tuning stability? I'm not expecting it to stay in tune as well as my Showmaster which is rock-solid for weeks on end, but I don't want to have to retune every two seconds either.

Spudman
November 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Mine is a rock. I was surprised too because most guys were saying to replace the tuners but my doesn't budge. Maybe I just got lucky?

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Mine is a rock. I was surprised too because most guys were saying to replace the tuners but my doesn't budge. Maybe I just got lucky?

It's a hardtail . . . that helps, doesn't it?

marnold
November 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Well, I made the plunge. I ordered a blonde '51 from MF. I'm hoping that Spudman's is the only mojo-free blonde (sounds like a band name). I gave into GAS. I feel so dirty. So very, very dirty. I can see the meeting now . . .

"Hi, my name is Matt and I just . . . I . . . just bought a Squier '51 *sob*"
(everybody else) "Hi, Matt."

This is a part of my Christmas gift in advance. I got the official OK--yeah verily, even the encouragement--from SWMBO. If I like it and keep it, it looks like my Charvel will end up going to my nine-year-old when I decide to try to teach him to play. The '51 will be my blues/clean guitar. My Showmaster will remain my guitar of extreme gain and violence (not necessarily in that order). I guess this makes me an official Fender guy. Yet I own neither a true Strat nor Tele. Go figure. Further updates as situations warrant.

kerc
November 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
My blonde '51 has lots of mojo, great tones, and plays nicely. One definite thing you can do to improve it os to put in the GFS top-loader bridge. The stock unit is kinda crappy.

Justaguyin_nc
November 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I agree the bridge is a little lite... tuners do fairly well but could be better.. but for the price.. the sound and feel even, is pretty darn good. I really like the looks of my sunburst also.

marnold
November 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I like the blonde that I'm going to be getting, but I'd kill for a red one. Someone found this on a Japanese site:
http://img.store.yahoo.co.jp/I/key_1918_24799851

marnold
November 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Then there's also this guy (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=18849015) who added a Bigsby to his '51. Complete with pics and a sound clip.