PDA

View Full Version : Cold morning... -36 C (-32.8 F)

Robert
January 31st, 2011, 08:56 AM
Brrr.... lucky the car started, because I forgot to plug it in.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_61qq6erqSUY/TNmjX3vWWdI/AAAAAAAACxo/pajGuC41TSo/s1600/Nicholson-Shining-cold-weather.jpg
http://dofb.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/coldweather-run.jpg

Jimi75
January 31st, 2011, 09:03 AM
Holy! That is cold! And I thought we were cold, having -6 °C this morning.
Watch your fingers Rob....you still need them to play cool licks for us!

Spudman
January 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Wow, you are really getting the winter this year. We aren't and we usually do. You're so lucky. Stay warm and no outdoor barefoot running, okay.

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM
It is cold over here too. Not quite that cold, but cold. It is the darned high pressure system cold with no snow too. I would love it if La Nina would shift the jet back over and turn on the tap again.

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
supposedly, the spicket is gonna be thrown wide open for Chicago today, possibly breaking all records. There's been so much hype, like nothing I've experienced in all my years as a snow belt resident. We had a 2" dusting overnight, now calm and a Blizzard warning officially kicks in at 3 this afternoon. Last night the early news had hundreds of cancellations listed and snow was not even falling, and wasn't expected for nearly 24 hours. I went to the grocery store with my girlfriend, and racks were empty, produce pretty much cleaned out, no bottled water....it was what I imagine in hurricane zones!

Sadly, being in Chicago, there's not much to do, even when the snow flies. Lots of labor, the city is more beautiful for a couple of days, and that's it. To top it off, we'll be below zero, Fahrenheit, on Wednesday.

poodlesrule
February 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Every time I think extreme cold I think of the book "The Left Hand of Darkness". In it, there is the tale of a trek across the local Antartica. Two characters (I think) travel on iced-up continent for days and days, a fasinating read...

Other: What's with thing about bottled water, are people afraid municipal water with get turned off?

Edit: Spelling errors... cold hands in the spare room where computer is right now..!

Ch0jin
February 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I wish I had some of that cold here. It's going to be around 40c every day this week and last night I measured 31c (88f) in my bedroom at midnight. I hate summer so much....

Tig
February 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
You can keep that cold %$&* up there, thanks!
We'll be in the mid 20's the next few nights, which means pipe breaking panic around here.

Sadly, poorer people in old houses that aren't insulated well will be using any method of heat, which means fire and tragic losses. There are some parts of firefighting I don't miss...

deeaa
February 2nd, 2011, 06:11 AM
Wow, that's pretty damned cold already! I don't think I've ever experienced so cold myself.

Spudman
February 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
You can keep that cold %$&* up there, thanks!
We'll be in the mid 20's the next few nights, which means pipe breaking panic around here.

Sadly, poorer people in old houses that aren't insulated well will be using any method of heat, which means fire and tragic losses. There are some parts of firefighting I don't miss...

I remember when I lived in Mississippi as a kid, the poorer houses often didn't have glass in the windows, and just plastic covered them. The walls also only had paper on the inside. Those houses are going to be cold. Yet I don't think the people will suffer. They will probably go sit in the Cadillac that's parked in the driveway and run the heater. I know it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but it's true. I seen it with my own peepers.

Eric
February 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I remember when I lived in Mississippi as a kid, the poorer houses often didn't have glass in the windows, and just plastic covered them. The walls also only had paper on the inside. Those houses are going to be cold. Yet I don't think the people will suffer. They will probably go sit in the Cadillac that's parked in the driveway and run the heater. I know it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but it's true. I seen it with my own peepers.
Yup. I can certainly believe it.

marnold
February 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
It's not THAT cold here, but I find it rather amusing that we have the same high temperature today as Dallas-Forth Worth. The ironic thing is that when they last had the Super Bowl in Detroit they had to make snow so that it would appear all nice and wintery.

sumitomo
February 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think the people will suffer. They will probably go sit in the Cadillac that's parked in the driveway and run the heater. I know it sounds like I'm stereotyping, but it's true. I seen it with my own peepers.[/QUOTE]You got that right and we be drinkin wine and playing the blues.Sumi:D

Tig
February 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
I seen it with my own peepers.

I sure ain't seen it all, but I've seen close to it. <- I think I just wrote a lyric line! So yes, I believe you, Spud.
I've made fire and EMS runs in the meanest neighborhoods in tha' hood, at the wrong time of night, as well as the nastiest trailers and crack houses. Not much surprises me anymore!