PDA

View Full Version : A personal view on Joe Bonamassa

Jimi75
February 1st, 2011, 04:12 AM
Joe Bonamassa is without a doubt one of the best guitar players around these days. His perfect guitar tone is in the same league as SRV’s, Hendrix’s or Knopfler’s tone.

It’s hard to find good rock music with good tone these days. I always looked forward to buying Joe’s new albums. But with the last couple of albums I felt that they wear off pretty fast and start gathering dust in my collection.

I feel I listen to Joe’s music only when I want to hear good guitar sound. It’s tricky being a guitarist. Most of us can be easily intrigued with good guitar sound.

I’ve seen Joe live in concert a couple of times and I almost had a bad conscious admitting to myself during the later concerts that I was bored throughout the better part of the gig. I started wondering WHY this was so.

Shame on me? Here we have a great guitar player with great talent and an awesome band behind him, coming the long way from the USA to my country to bring Blues and Rock music. Joe’s got a message and a mission, you feel it when he plays and speaks.

But if I fade out his great attitude, the cool vintage guitars and amps, the great sound, which all belong without a doubt to the show, there’s one thing that is the most important to me – it’s the songwriting! I want to get a kick from music. And that is where my problem with Joe’s music started some years ago. I have listened to the unmasked musician and I was surprised how little of his music really remains present in my mind. But was it that way all the time? No it wasn’t!

What’s the problem you might ask.

The problem to me is that I find it very sad when someone is obviously able to write great songs (Coulour & Shape, When She Dances, I Know Where I Belong for example) and then all of a sudden starts riding down a one way street of monotonous Bluesrock.

Of course no musician wants to make the same music with every album! Joe was one of the few artists that on the one hand were able to preserve the heritage of great guitar playing and sound, but on the other hand carrying on the torch of great songwriting in writing with that new and unheard freshness. The solos were excellent and had lots of melody. A lot of people I know (non musicians) and who consider themselves as average music consumers loved his works for the music, or better said for the songs and songwriting.

Joe was the musical future. The one great hope. He had it all. And still has it all...somewhere slumbering.

Unfortunately, he made a strong turn into the next one way street starting with You & Me. Most of his solos became boring and sound the same. It’s the same pattern for every solo. Some weak melody followed by Eric Johnson style pentatonic. A good intro guitar riff followed by song pettiness.

His current music lives from “cool” guitar playing. To me it seems as if Joe had stumbled into the “you have to keep the Blues alive” and “Praise the mandatory rock heroes” trap and throughout his mission he forget to preserve and develop his own “voice”.

Everyone to his own taste. Everyone is free to decide what music he wants to play. I cross my fingers for Joe and am happy for him being successful and for being an obviously kind hearted person.

This is my personal opinion and you might disagree or even hate me for that. I’d like to underline that I am not one of the “everything used to be better back then” guys or one of the folks who want to hear a “Miss You Hate You” on every album. I am just sad on missing out on the great songs Joe could write!

Lev
February 1st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Great post Jimi and I 100% agree. I was so excited when I discovered JB a few years ago, his tone, his phrasing, his showmanship and his songs all showed him as a phenomenal talent. A talent which hasn't diminished but he seems aware that this is his time and he feels the need to release as much material as he possibly can to maximize sales while his popularity is high. This is understandable but it has led to pretty dull and unimaginative song writing. For me You & Me had some great songs (Bridge to Better Days, Asking Around for You etc.) but since then I'm struggling to remember a good song. Like you Jimi I bought the records, listened a couple of times and now they gather dust.

I also think the variety in his music has somewhat lessened since his 'spat' with Fender. I love the sound of a LP through a Marshall but equally I love a Tele through a Deluxe or a Strat through a Bassman etc. I feel his grudge towards Fender (which may indeed be justifiable) is robbing him of particular tones in his music. It's like an Artist deciding to paint without one of the prime colors. I think we've all been inspired by picking up a particular instrument, if you limit yourself to an LP maybe you're denying yourself the inspiration you might get from a Strat or vice versa.

pedalbuilder
February 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
I only discovered Bonamassa recently and I didn't understand why everyone was so gaga over him and I just thought the music was . . . well, like you said "a one way street of monotonous Bluesrock."

It sounds like I need to check out his earlier stuff an keep my eye on him in case he comes out of his shell again.

oldguy
February 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
There are some valid points here, for sure. On the opposite side of the coin, though, I would like to add something. I've noticed the Eric Johnson sound Jimi mentions myself. I think he must be an influence Joe likes a lot.
But EJ went for years trying to perfect an album for release, re-doing tracks and eventually scrapping practically all of it, because he could not get it perfect enough for his own taste. I am glad Joe is not that degree of perfectionist, even if some of his music seems too familiar.

Commodore 64
February 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joe B. is a great player, and by many anecodotal accounts, a nice guy. I'll gladly listen to Bonamassa if I'm at a place where it's playing or at a friend's who puts him on. However, Joe B. is not something I would put on my personal playlist for listening...at least not right now. Oh and I get a kick out of calling him "Banalmassa", lol, because it makes me feel clever...especially when I read threads like this which tend to support that (admittedly unfair) characterization.

I totally respect his playing and talent. I've stated that I don't like his voice, but I'll be the first to admit he sings way better than I ever could.

Eric
February 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
Interesting post. I don't know much about Bonamassa, even though I've seen him live, but I find that the comments here translate to a lot of musicians.

I think there's a lot of identity in anything we as humans do, and the music you listen to and the music you play are just two examples. I think many musicians get their style down, and are popularized for it. Because of that, they hesitate to break new ground and push the boundaries of their music.

I've watched a few videos of a 5-part interview with Ty Tabor of King's X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8POFU9FyCIM), and in one part, he mentions how they started scrapping ideas they had because it wasn't "the King's X sound." He then goes on to say how that was kind of dumb. I think it's easy to get trapped in what you think you are, even if you have new ideas.

Joe B. seems to be a very talented guy, so I hope he doesn't limit himself in the future, but I also wish that for all musicians and each one of us. It's scary to break out of something that you know works, but it's a necessary thing to do artistically.

Now if I can just figure out how to do that...

guitartango
February 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
I agree on this one Jim, great guitar player, great guy, not so great albums. But then all artists can produce a bad album..... eric clapton, the stones,

hope the new albums rocks.

LADave65
February 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
This bears out what I have seen of JB. He has a great sound and amazing chops, but the music doesn't impress me much. It sounds like he's going down the same road as Clapton: a great player releasing formulaic stuff to maintain sales volume - a "get it while you can" approach. It's understandable, considering how people come and go in this business, but still disappointing.

progrmr
February 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
I recently discovered JB and was also a bit let down when what I heard just didn't "wow" me at all. Clearly he's an awesome guitar player. But honestly the guitar sounds sterile. SRV for instance just grabs me, while with JB I just sit and listen and think "wow, great playing...but I'm not feeling like I care to hear that song again."

I decided that I gravitate mostly to Chicago blues so that's where I stay.

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
Musicianship and songwriting are two distinctly separate skills. Having one doesn't mean you'll be blessed with the other. If you look over the annals of popular music, the great songwriters often worked as part of a group, and had a collective presentation, think McCartney, nobody thinks of him as a peerless bassist, excellent, solid, what have you, but not terribly gifted or unique.

I think if you stopped and thought, the number of exceptional musicians who are exceptional songwriters is VERY short, and JB is known for being one of very few younger dudes brandishing an LP and a Marshall these days, and doing it with the conviction and technical prowess that few ever have.

Who has ever done both? Hendrix. Many of the Chicago style blues greats...3 Kings etc, but they were operating within a formula when media dissemination itself was a new thing. How long could they have kept it fresh? Cray? Clapton? All these guys, I see them, and they rock, but they don't surprise me or make me think I'm seeing something new.

I think Eric is onto something, for JB to rise above, he'd have to hear a different voice from somewhere, have a different experience, and then have necessity to communicate THAT regardless of what the market, the fans, the agents say. Let's face it, that flies in the face of popular music.

I think it's pretty unlikely. When that happens, we all know it.

We're seeing it right now, I'd argue, with a band like Black Keys.....they've taken a formula, and use it, reoriented, and you want to listen.

guitartango
February 1st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hate to say this, both SRV and hendrix have produced "banal albums". I love them both as guitar players but as songwriters....mmmmm.

Spudman
February 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
I can usually find one or two songs on each album that will stick with me. My great hope for Joe is now that he is in with a very talented bunch (Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, Jason Bonham, Kevin Shirley) the song quality will improve. It certainly did for the Black Country Communion album. Joe is very gifted and he's only reaching his stride now. I expect great things from him in the future. Yet, like most of you I primarily listen to his album for great guitar tones and playing. It satisfies but doesn't linger.

I've watched a few videos of a 5-part interview with Ty Tabor of King's X (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8POFU9FyCIM), and in one part, he mentions how they started scrapping ideas they had because it wasn't "the King's X sound."

Eric - this is great. Thanks for the heads up on it. I'm a big fan.

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2011, 02:32 PM
I can usually find one or two songs on each album that will stick with me. My great hope for Joe is now that he is in with a very talented bunch (Glenn Hughes, Derek Sherinian, Jason Bonham, Kevin Shirley) the song quality will improve. It certainly did for the Black Country Communion album. Joe is very gifted and he's only reaching his stride now. I expect great things from him in the future. Yet, like most of you I primarily listen to his album for great guitar tones and playing. It satisfies but doesn't linger.

Musicianship and songwriting are two distinctly separate skills. Having one doesn't mean you'll be blessed with the other. If you look over the annals of popular music, the great songwriters often worked as part of a group, and had a collective presentation, think McCartney, nobody thinks of him as a peerless bassist, excellent, solid, what have you, but not terribly gifted or unique.

I think if you stopped and thought, the number of exceptional musicians who are exceptional songwriters is VERY short, and JB is known for being one of very few younger dudes brandishing an LP and a Marshall these days, and doing it with the conviction and technical prowess that few ever have.

Who has ever done both? Hendrix. Many of the Chicago style blues greats...3 Kings etc, but they were operating within a formula when media dissemination itself was a new thing. How long could they have kept it fresh? Cray? Clapton? All these guys, I see them, and they rock, but they don't surprise me or make me think I'm seeing something new.

I think Eric is onto something, for JB to rise above, he'd have to hear a different voice from somewhere, have a different experience, and then have necessity to communicate THAT regardless of what the market, the fans, the agents say. Let's face it, that flies in the face of popular music.

I think it's pretty unlikely. When that happens, we all know it.

We're seeing it right now, I'd argue, with a band like Black Keys.....they've taken a formula, and use it, reoriented, and you want to listen.

Jimi, I agree. I want to like JB, and I have listened to his stuff hoping to catch the bug. However, it doesn't grab me. One thing that is clear about my taste is that songwriting is as important, and maybe more, than pure chops. But both is nirvana. Clapton is another one that is like that for me. With a few exceptions, particularly his work on his 90's acoustic stuff, I just don't get excited about his stuff.

For comparison to another young blues player, I always think of Mayer. Everyone knows I like John Mayer's tone, chord voicings, songwriting and, yes, chops and playing. I am interested that in this conversation about blues oriented music, his name has not come up. Maybe it is because he started his commercial career from the pop side of things. But the guys that have been mentioned as being both melodic song writers and great players (SRV, Hendrix) are obviously his biggest influences.

I keep thinking if JB would add some soul influences focus on developing more melody into his use of his skill, I would like it more. I like what I see and hear of him personally, like his skill, and want to like his music more.

Tig
February 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM
Dang, I feel about the same as you Jimi, as well as others here. I never spoke up because I really want to like JB's music because I love his playing and style. His earlier work is awesome, but the more recent albums have yet to really grab me. Sometimes his voice is good to my ears, but many times it bothers me.

Sure, I don't want him to simply re-make his earlier albums, but something just doesn't click on the recent releases.

FrankenFretter
February 1st, 2011, 07:57 PM
I'm really glad you posted this, Jimi. I think I'm somewhere in the middle on this issue; I haven't quite finished my honeymoon phase with Joe B. One thing I will say though, and I know this will be met with some disagreement if not out and out scorn, but I can't stand Black Country Communion. I really can't stand Glen Hughes voice. I want to like them, and I want to like Glen's vocals, but I don't. Joe may not be the world's most talented vocalist, but I'll take him over Mr. Hughes any day. And I'll take Joe's solo stuff over BCC stuff all day long.

One thing I might add: I think the similarities to Eric Johnson are completely intentional. Like OldGuy said, he's one of Joe's big influences.

Duffy
February 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
JB certainly is quite the blues player and performer in general that has definitely carved out a place for himself in the music world.

He probably is "stacking cash" right now, cranking out signature sounds at a rapid rate. It is probably very important for him to amass a major pile of wealth, which I'm sure he is doing.

He is still a young guy and has a lot of time ahead to produce even greater accomplishments than he has so far. Watching him extroduce Eric Clapton on the Royal Prince Albert Hall performance, it seemed evident to me that Joe considers himself a junior bluesman compared to Clapton, despite his outstanding playing and dueling guitars. I think Joe knows he has a long way to go before he reaches a level of self realization where he feels comparable to the blues greats. How he gets there, and if he even gets there remains to be seen. Greatness, especially in the area of the blues, often comes out of some type of great struggle and is popularized by perseverence.

Some of his songs have not grasped my enthusiasm incredibly, but listening to Black Country Communion the other night, I find many of the songs on it growing on me - sounding better all the time. That usually happens when I find some music that I think is really great - it stands up to the test of time and grows. I remember when I first heard Jethro Tull in the late sixties - the more I listened to it the more I liked its complexities and appreciated its incredibleness.

Of course, we all perceive music subjectively; so it isn't surprising that we all experience JB somewhat differently but notice some of the same similarities.

Even though the dude is probably consciously stacking the cash "big time", he probably has some ideas that we haven't seen yet.

One thing I seem to notice is that he doesn't talk to his audience much, doesn't talk a lot about his music between songs, and seems reticent; but a lot of great muscians, like Gregg Allman for instance, don't talk much about their music. Great to see Gregg performing again. The dude has been thru a lot. Even thru a lot of formulaized music he has always seemed to pull another new and great song out of his bag - like "Desdamona" or "Old Before My Time" among many other recent songs.

Jimi75
February 2nd, 2011, 02:25 AM
Logged in this morning and thought maybe I was already banned from the boeard for writing from the bottom of my heart what I think about Joe B. :)
Thank you so much for your great replies! I was carrying around this topic for a while now and I just had to go the direct way with it.

@SVL: I didn't wanna mention Mayer again, but he is in my eyes way more exciting. He's got it all in him and writes great songs.
@LEV: You are absolutely right! Why this war about a pseudo signature guitar that Fender issued? Man, I worked many years for Fender and one thing is clear. They are no Gibson, they are not in need of issuing stupid sig models to make cash and they do not depend on JB! Concerning the sound...just go back to his first Live DVD and listen to some tracks he played with the 60 Tele.....that was greatness in sound!
@ Commodore 64: Quote"especially when I read threads like this which tend to support that (admittedly unfair) characterization." I don'
t see any unfairness in my thread. Sorry, but I uttered that I respect Joe and am sorry for him that he let his songwriting talent go down the drain! He can write great songs that's what makes me sad.
@ Eric: Great interview. I love King's X. But I think when you come to the point where you start scrapping ideas because they do not fit in a certain commercial concept, the art starts dying.
@Commodore 64 & Tig: Feel the same about Joe's voice. I don't like when he screams a song to death. Esepcially at the slow blues numbers he tends to fill the spaces in between with scream like vocals. To me it's either feel it or leave it, but don't pretend. I think he improved vocalwise over the last couple years and he has also very strong singing moments on his cds.
@Oldguy & Frankenfretter: One should not hide ones influences, but one should bear in mind how close copycat and genius sit together :-) The thing that bothers me most is that he had his own virtuous stlye and from there on went into the copy paste style. Usually it's vice versa...;-)
@All: It's the mandatory cash ride. Milk the cow as long as you can milk it. I understand that Joe B trys to get his sheeps in a dry place now and properbly most of us would do the same I think. See, we all enjoy the big freedom of not depending on selling records. This means no radio edits, no whining fan base etc. We enjoy pure musical freedom. Popular musicians go often from black to white. Just think of all the guys that went to India, came back and made experimental albums and stuff. Most of them fail to sit in the grey zone. Guys like Kenny Wanye Shepherd, Sean Costello (R.I.P.), John Mayer, Susan Tedeschi, Dereck Trucks and Jonny Lang proved that you can slip into the grey zone without being too commercial or even boring.

Commodore 64
February 2nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
I love the "feel it or leave it" comment, Jimi. I've been listening to the BB King and Clapton version of Hold On, I'm Comin' . I simply can't stand Clapton's vocal affectation on that song. It seems like he's trying way, way, way, way, way to hard to have this bluesy feeling. It's hard to explain, but it really drives me bananas. I feel like he trades licks and plays well with BB, but the vocals absolutely kill it.

oldguy
February 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Jimi,
I guess the point I was trying to make about Joe B. versus Eric J. was this........ I'd rather see Joe keep on than become so obsessed w/ his craft that he's unable to release an album for years.
It may be he's still searching, experimenting, trying new things, and the EJ playing style will evolve into something more.
I'll try and stick to Joe B. but there are a few things I would like to add, hopefully not getting OT too far.

There have been lots of great players who were initially labeled as "Hendrix copycats" until people saw them evolving their own style. Trower and Marino are two who come to mind. Now, I'm not saying JB is copying Jimi H., but we notice the strong Eric Johnson influence on more than one of his songs. That doesn't make him a copycat, but the sound is the same on occasion. This may be a stepping stone. Joe may incorporate the style he's using presently into something more complex later down the road.

Mayer (I feel) has yet to hit his stride. Don't misunderstand, he's playing blues much more in the style I like now, his voice, playing style, and sound are great. If he can stay out of the gossip pages and be recognized for his blues music, his time is coming.

Clapton had a time where he played pure smokin' hot blues, and I loved everything he did. Then he went through phases and I didn't care for his music at all. He came back to blues again. Joe B. initially seemed to favor the more British type blues genre, maybe that will cycle back around.

It may be Joe is pushing himself too hard. Too hectic a schedule often leaves a musician hard pressed to find new ideas, create fresh music, and they become somewhat stagnant for a period of time.
I agree that Joe's still a young man and has plenty of time to become a blues legend.
I also can see why he'd want to gather what cash he can, while he can, while he's riding a wave of popularity. Hopefully he can find a balance where both happen, and we get to go along for the ride, listening to some outrageously good blues on the way.

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
LOL! Jimi, I almost did not want to mention Mayer myself again. But to discuss modern blues players that are younger, along with Joe B., you have to and cannot ignore him.

I am sure Joe has lots more to contribute and I hope for great things. I do miss his strat sound (that I know more than his tele sound). I think he stays closer to the old bluesmen in style and as his starting point than Mayer, who likes to add in more jazz voicings and incorporates more pop or soul hooks and melodies into some really great blues playing. Maybe after some more years I will look back and "get" Joe's work from this period more. I wanted to like that Black Country Communion album, and need to give it more of a chance. His collaboration with the great names in that project may really propel him. Time will tell!

Tig
February 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
Jimi,
I guess the point I was trying to make about Joe B. versus Eric J. was this........ I'd rather see Joe keep on than become so obsessed w/ his craft that he's unable to release an album for years.

Good news about Eric Johnson. He's loosened up tremendously when it comes to gear, tone perfection and recording.
His latest album, Up Close, has a much warmer, personal feel that may have been lacking in the past.

otaypanky
February 2nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joe's still a youngin'. Give the boy some time.
Sometimes Michelangelo just liked to doodle, he didn't always do ceilings. The cool thing is Joe's got some great skills. I saw him at a local bar a good many years ago and he's come a long way since then. He was still sporting baby fat and was a little bit pudgy. He's growing up, thinned down, cut his hair, his voice is maturing, --- he's living his life. All of that is seasoning the musician within. I'm sure there will be lots of good things coming from him in the future.
Most of us here at the Fret have the luxury of playing to please only ourselves, and maybe a few bandmates. Joe is expected top please a worldwide audience. That's a lot of baggage. I know I wouldn't want to be judged every time I picked up my guitar or tried to come up with an idea for a tune.

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joe's still a youngin'. Give the boy some time.
Sometimes Michelangelo just liked to doodle, he didn't always do ceilings. The cool thing is Joe's got some great skills. I saw him at a local bar a good many years ago and he's come a long way since then. He was still sporting baby fat and was a little bit pudgy. He's growing up, thinned down, cut his hair, his voice is maturing, --- he's living his life. All of that is seasoning the musician within. I'm sure there will be lots of good things coming from him in the future.
Most of us here at the Fret have the luxury of playing to please only ourselves, and maybe a few bandmates. Joe is expected to please a worldwide audience. That's a lot of baggage. I know I wouldn't want to be judged every time I picked up my guitar or tried to come up with an idea for a tune.Well put. I've been biting my tongue on posting a response to this thread for several days, so I'll just say "+1" to 'Panky's reply and leave it at that. Perhaps because his tone and technique are so otherworldly, people may tend to place some rather unrealistic expectations on Joe....

sumitomo
February 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I was waiting for Vood to respond cause I know he like's Joe too! I've seen him also,fantastic and I'd give my left nut just to play and sing and perform just a taste of as good as he is,and only getting better,I'm glad to see him touring while his name is hot.Go get it Joe. Sumi:D

Katastrophe
February 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Wow, Jimi... I respect your opinion and this thread. From what I gather, you seem to be encouraging, as a music fan, for Joe B. to stretch more as an artist, to "push the envelope a little more" with the playing and songwriting, am I right?

Nothing wrong with that at all!

Here's the deal, at least for me... I love blues / rock as a genre, and still get pumped up listening to pentatonic riffs, simple melodies and powerful solos. I can't find fault with Joe's playing, songwriting or singing... He does it all better than I do, and can throw down with some really fine, emotional soloing in the right setting. Joe's playing and style sound completely different from his earlier days. He's maturing as a player, and you can hear the evolution on different albums.

I would like to think that he's not just coasting for the money. I think that he's trying to expand with the BCC thing into a more rock oriented blues/rock. That's fine by me! I'd take BCC over Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber any day.

I think that Joe is just warming up creatively, and we're gonna see some interesting and badass guitar work in the future. I'm looking forward to the journey!

Spudman
February 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
I think Joe needs to go to India for a while or get involved with a psychotic bad influence woman. Either of those will take him new directions. It worked for the 60s and 70s bands. That would open the doors for some new angles on his music.

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
A major substance addiction would probably work wonders, too. Since he cut out fattening foods, the guy pretty much has no vices, from what I understand. Unless you count practicing about 6 hours a day....

helliott
February 3rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Interesting point about new influences. That is one thing that I think really helps Derek Trucks sound traditional and yet innovative at the same time. I think what is missing in Joe's music for me is innovation. His Albert Hall DVD is great, but you can even see it there. Sounds to me like he needs to shake something up. That said, everyone who notes his virtuosity is right, too. He's an amazing talent. I too would like to hear him do some more stuff not LP oriented. No doubt we'll hear some new twist from this young guy yet. He's too talented to do the EC velvet coffin thing.

Tig
February 3rd, 2011, 04:43 PM
After reading more responses, I'll add that I agree to let Joe mature, grow, and continue to explore his creativity. I respect him, his incredible playing and much of his music. I don't want him to repeat his past just to please a part of his audience.

That said, the end results are not always well received in some of his more recent music, which is a view that several here share. From what I've read, everyone here respects the man and his talents, just not all of his songs. So, in the end, no feelings hurt, right?

Take such a gifted musician and see how much great music he has created, raising the expectations of his work to continue to ascend every album. How could anyone make each and every new release better than the one before? Not many!

I have every confidence that his future music will blow most of us away. I really want to be blown away! Can you imagine an album that was half acoustic from him?

otaypanky
February 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
I think Joe needs to go to India for a while or get involved with a psychotic bad influence woman. Either of those will take him new directions. It worked for the 60s and 70s bands. That would open the doors for some new angles on his music.

I don't think Yoko is dating anyone

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/otaypanky/Emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Spudman
February 3rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Can you imagine an album that was half acoustic from him?

Yes I can. It wouldn't be loud enough. :beavisnbutthead:

I do like what he did with Seagull though, and I like some of the other acoustic numbers, but man, I gotta rock. When Joe is rockin so am I.:cool:

Jimi75
February 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM
This thread really developed very nicely. Thanks for sharing all your opinions in such an open hearted way. I am sure Joe's on a journey and his outer appearance changes give testimony to the fact that he is maturing which hopefully will affect his music in a positive way, too.

I'd like to underline that I have no intention to dismiss Joe. He's an incredibly good guitar player.
@Otaypanky: "Joe is expected top please a worldwide audience. That's a lot of baggage. I know I wouldn't want to be judged every time I picked up my guitar or tried to come up with an idea for a tune."
That's the job he chose. He's here for entertaining an audience. As far as I can judge Joe B. wouldn't be pleased if he was working in an office 9-5 ;-) Being a public person means you have to face critique. I hope my points were constructive criticism.
@DVM:"Perhaps because his tone and technique are so otherworldly, people may tend to place some rather unrealistic expectations on Joe.... "
You know DVM first of all thanks for not biting your toungue :-) That's a good point you mention here and it sure counts for al ot of Joe B fans and guitarists, but I am definitely not the kind of guy who expects something from Joe. I just wrote from the bottom of my heart, as I really like Joe. To me his songwriting got worse and his technique improved - sure no one of us will ever play that good, but that's not the point isn't it. I call myself a Joe B fan and that means that I will also take critical stance towards his work.
@Helliott: "Interesting point about new influences. That is one thing that I think really helps Derek Trucks sound traditional and yet innovative at the same time."
Perfect example!
@Katastrophe: "I would like to think that he's not just coasting for the money."
Hopefully you didn't get me wrong. I am happy for him being successful and making money. He does what everyone of us and every musician in his current position would do. No problem with that.
@Spud: "I think Joe needs to go to India for a while or get involved with a psychotic bad influence woman. "
Who knows, who knows...maybe you are not that wrong....in Germany we say that a broken heart writes the best songs. India plus bad woman, plus maybe a broken heart....I see Joe in his kitchen, sitting in underwear at the table with a bottle of Jack and an acoustic, sweatening in a hot NY night, writing with the devil in his back. That would take him one step closer to being a real bluesman ;-) *Klischee Alert*
@Tig: "After reading more responses, I'll add that I agree to let Joe mature, grow, and continue to explore his creativity. I respect him, his incredible playing and much of his music. I don't want him to repeat his past just to please a part of his audience."
You nailed it in all points! I couldn't find the words you found!

kidsmoke
February 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM

he posted this on his facebook the other day. Somebody's messin' with him. Let him get a few more miles on him, maybe get a little pissed off about something, who knows what will come from his heart then, could be pretty righteous.

"All I will say to the person who is invading my personal privacy/ life is I pitty you. Such a weird vibe at my house right now.. **** it Im going back to Malibu. I really feel at home there.. This is weird.. Phones ringing and blogs about me being a womanizer.. What a ****ing joke.."

Celebrity's gotta suck most of the time.

Eric
February 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
he posted this on his facebook the other day. Somebody's messin' with him. Let him get a few more miles on him, maybe get a little pissed off about something, who knows what will come from his heart then, could be pretty righteous.

"All I will say to the person who is invading my personal privacy/ life is I pitty you. Such a weird vibe at my house right now.. **** it Im going back to Malibu. I really feel at home there.. This is weird.. Phones ringing and blogs about me being a womanizer.. What a ****ing joke.."

Celebrity's gotta suck most of the time.
It must have been Jimi! Trying to give him "inspiration"...

Jimi75
February 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
It must have been Jimi! Trying to give him "inspiration"...

Laughing my a** off...am I really that bad?

Eric
February 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
...am I really that bad?
Of course not. I think you've somehow become villified in this thread, but it seemed like your original point wasn't that you dislike Bonamass or think he's overrated. Just that if you're honest with yourself, his latest albums haven't really been doing it for you the way his earlier stuff did. I think that's OK.

Tig
February 4th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe he got tangled up with one of Mayer's cast away groupies who was attempting to "make the circuit"? :crazyguy

Celeb's have to deal with some really EFF'ed up people sometimes.

sunvalleylaw
February 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Of course not. I think you've somehow become villified in this thread, but it seemed like your original point wasn't that you dislike Bonamass or think he's overrated. Just that if you're honest with yourself, his latest albums haven't really been doing it for you the way his earlier stuff did. I think that's OK.

+1. And I share the opinion, also think Joe has tons of potential, and look for great things from him in the future.

marnold
February 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM

I don't think Jimi's been vilified. Actually, this is about the only forum I've been on where we could discuss this and not have it become personal. I don't necessarily agree with Jimi on all of this, but everybody has different opinions on music. He gave good reasons why he feels the way he does and I respect him for that. Having said that, I fully intend on attending the Joe B. concert next month and enjoying myself. The world would be rather boring if everybody had the same taste in music that I do. Heck, my wife and I don't have the same taste in music. I'll still let Jimi buy me a bier at Uerige if I can ever make it to Deutschland.
:) :beer:

Reminds me of this song, somewhat anyway:
_3hneIVk9co

Duffy
February 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Beautiful Marnold.

Jimi75
February 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I don't think Jimi's been vilified. Actually, this is about the only forum I've been on where we could discuss this and not have it become personal. I don't necessarily agree with Jimi on all of this, but everybody has different opinions on music. He gave good reasons why he feels the way he does and I respect him for that. Having said that, I fully intend on attending the Joe B. concert next month and enjoying myself. The world would be rather boring if everybody had the same taste in music that I do. Heck, my wife and I don't have the same taste in music. I'll still let Jimi buy me a bier at Uerige if I can ever make it to Deutschland.
:) :beer:

If one thing is for sure, it's the beer at the Uerige!
Thanks for your kind words Marnold. And you are absolutely right, this is about the only forum where poeple do not get personal!

Spudman
February 5th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Reminds me of this song, somewhat anyway:
_3hneIVk9co

Oh boy! I had forgotten that Dave would continue aging along with me. He's looking old but still sounds great. I wonder how many times he's played that song?

sunvalleylaw
February 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM
If one thing is for sure, it's the beer at the Uerige!
Thanks for your kind words Marnold. And you are absolutely right, this is about the only forum where poeple do not get personal!

Yeah, this place is great that we can talk about this stuff and not descend into constant flamefests. BTW, how close is Uerige to Holland? We may have that chance soon Jimi!

Jimi75
February 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Yeah, this place is great that we can talk about this stuff and not descend into constant flamefests. BTW, how close is Uerige to Holland? We may have that chance soon Jimi!

The Uerige is apub in Duesseldorf, only few kilometers away from my hometown. It's about the same distance... ;.)

sunvalleylaw
February 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Well, we will just have to make some plans for either that or another place you think would be good. I will PM to discuss!

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
We just hired a guy named John Henry. So I had to find this and listen to it. For some reason, I don't mind his voice on this song. It rocks.

uaCjPdtDBxo

MAXIFUNK
February 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
We just hired a guy named John Henry. So I had to find this and listen to it. For some reason, I don't mind his voice on this song. It rocks.

uaCjPdtDBxo

I like this one here quit a lot.

I know very little of JB'S music he is an excellent player but to be honest in today's music industry it is hard to stay true to your inner voice honest to your goals set for one self. Unless you sell platinum after platinum album/cd you will have to dance a dance with the suites. Very few artist get to run their own show even Prince who sold platinum after platinum album/cd went to war with Warner Bros.

But one thing almost always rings true no matter the musician or genre of music their best work seems to always comes before they are famous and have achieved high critical praise or mega success. The 1st 3 to 4 albums of most any artist is their best. I think that's because they are hungry for fame, money, & critical acclaim. Once achieved the ego and hanger-ons begins their downfall. Sure there are examples of artist who are the exceptions to this rule but those are the greats few and far between.

deeaa
February 24th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I have not listened to Bonamassa much at all, seems to me it's not really my cup of tea at least at this time in life, but one other thing about your post caught my eye.

Hard to find albums with good guitar tone these days?

I'd have to disagree. I think these days most every rock album has quite superb sounds, when compared to what utter s**t they used to be in several cases back in the day. (like, Randy Rhoads for instance...or Zeppelin...what crappy sounds, but work well in the context.) I mean, they suit the also similarly bad quality of the recordings of their eras, but...yeah, I think these days the world is filled with excellent guitar sounds in comparison.

Sure, I don't like the thrash scoops or nu-metal lifeless grind, but even in heaviest metal I keep hearing insane new sounds and styles, and pick any proper modern rock act, say, Danko Jones, Billy Talent, Clutch, Them Damned Things - what's not to like about the guitar sounds? :-)

Duffy
February 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Among the brightest stars self actualization, not money or critical acclaim, is the strongest of motivators. So it may be that this trend toward mediocrity is caused by the self indulgent and greedy pursuits of managers, promoters, and producers rather than the loss of fire and desire for excellence of the stars. Big time pressure to produce high gross CD's, combined with an intense appearance schedule to promote the CD's, may play a substantial role in squelching the ability of the star to come up with new songs that are at or above the quality of the earlier music.

Prince may have felt that the Company was placing requirements on him that were not consistent with his personal intents.

Lynyrd Skynyrd hit the big time with several songs that had been worked out over the years. To crank out new songs rapidly that have the strong vibe of songs that developed from experience and were refined over time, can't be easy.

It's not just the star, it's the entire organization, that is responsible for the quality of the CD's that get released. That may be one of the major reasons that some of the stars formed their own labels and production companies - so they could have more freedom, flexibility, and less pressure.

They say the music industry is messed up. It's a big, self interested, money making show. How did someone like Bob Dylan survive that environment - and isn't he still with Columbia? He has been with them a long time. Maybe they HAVE to cut guys like him the deals that they want. But when it comes to new comers, the stars may be confined by tough contracts and boxed in by the rest of the Establishment. I don't see Dylan as a highly establishment type of a guy, but you do have to play the game.

ZMAN
February 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Like several other guitarists that I have come to like, Joe is straying from his roots. I discovered him as a blues guy, and I really don't like his non blues/blues rock things that he is doing. The same happened with Robben Ford, and Gary Moore. I personally think they were at their best doing blues. I think a lot of pressure is put on these young artists to write new material. I think they excell at doing "covers" of other songs but with their take on it. I think the pressure to creat causes more harm than good to these young musicians, and is probably as Duffy said coming from the record labels.
Probably being a straight blues guy does not put as much money on the table as being a pop or commercial rock player, but I think Joe will still do just fine down the road. But for me it will always be Joe B a blues guy.

Spudman
February 24th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Prince may have felt that the Company was placing requirements on him that were not consistent with his personal intents.

Prince was getting screwed out of a lot of money by the record company. That is why he did what he did. After all, an artist may want to stay true to their vision, but they still need to eat. Joe won't sell out. He's going to play what he feels good playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itsRvRvfG4Y

He gets specific at 4 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-rar-LX5VA

Tig
February 24th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The Ballad of John Henry is an excellent song example of what Joe can do with his creativity and talent. We still get some rockin'-bluesy slide licks, but the overall song is among his best to venture out of the blues realm.

The problem with being a prodigy is the world expects you to reach a high degree of greatness with every step, never faltering. (not that I would ever know) Can you imagine the pressure?

Duffy
February 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I agree. I don't think Joe will sell out, but there probably are contractual requirements and so forth that have to be met. I like the music he is currently producing and like the BRC CD a lot. To me it is great to see some young guys like him, as well as Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and others, carrying the blues to newer generations. He certainly doesn't lack for an audience.

msteeln
February 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
This discussion reminds me of a pre AC/DC Malcom Young saying "if it's not great, then it's crap!", and as time moved on even they stopped making great music, just like most who get caught up in the big biz. $/success is a two-edged sword which too often takes away the hunger and dreams that produces great music, and it seems Joe is stuck under the glass ceiling that kills off exceptional output.

deeaa
February 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM
IMO AC/DC still makes great music...better than Bonamassa ever did anyway...just my 2c...

MAXIFUNK
February 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I worked for Prince back in those days it all started to go south when WB wanted another "Purple Rain" and another and he wanted to do different things so every album after Purple Rain was a war for him to get released and several never did. The one that finally did get released after he left the company was "The Black Album" some killer stuff on this one "Bob George" my fav on this album and a song he put on the "Love Sexy" album "when 2 r n Love". some of his biggest albums WB did not want to release for some stupid reason but he would not give them any other stuff to release so they relented "sign of the times" & "diamond and pearls" both where full of some of his best works and "Sign of the Times" many consider to be his best project myself included. But after "Graffiti Bridge" flopped his 1st none XXX platinum album in 6 years they made his life hell even after the follow up album "diamond and pearls" sold more 8,000,000 world wide yet still the war got worst crazy huh? You sell 8 mil and still have record label problems just nuts.......... nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-zTH9Pq9I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVdmWaSrjug

deeaa
February 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Hm, I need to go thru his stuff with a more keen ear...that totally rocks indeed, all I heard from him has been somehow entirely different feeling.

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I may be misinformed. But after watching the Royal Albert Hall video and watching some Youtube clips, it seems like JB was bred for playing music. Like he grew up with a silver spoon of music in his mouth, was encouraged and supported every step of the way. This really shouldn't matter because the guy has talent. But when I hear "prodigy". I think of someone who has an amazing affinity for something. JB seems like his virtuosity was manufactured. As such his playing seems a little too contrived. It feels cheaper in some way. And it probably shouldn't.

Maybe I'm not saying this right. I'm trying to put into words this little niggling feeling I have regarding JB. I want to like him. And I really do dig the John Henry song.

tunghaichuan
February 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I may be misinformed. But after watching the Royal Albert Hall video and watching some Youtube clips, it seems like JB was bred for playing music. Like he grew up with a silver spoon of music in his mouth, was encouraged and supported every step of the way. This really shouldn't matter because the guy has talent. But when I hear "prodigy". I think of someone who has an amazing affinity for something. JB seems like his virtuosity was manufactured. As such his playing seems a little too contrived. It feels cheaper in some way. And it probably shouldn't.

We all should be so lucky. :)

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I agree, I agree. My feelings are somewhat irrational, but I'm trying to follow Jimi75's example and be honest and stimulate discussion.

Eric
February 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I agree, I agree. My feelings are somewhat irrational, but I'm trying to follow Jimi75's example and be honest and stimulate discussion.
That's fair, and I get your point. In my mind, I think stories his are really kind of inspiring: when someone is good and does get the opportunities and support and puts it to good use. There are enough Todd Marinovich stories out there that I enjoy it when someone's path winds up how it should, for lack of a better word.

Still, I think I understand what you're saying. It could be that the pressure of being set up for greatness weighs on him, to the point where he thinks he needs to be perfect, all while trying to make the most of his 15 minutes while it's here. That's a lot of pressure on someone, and probably not when they're going to do their best work. Honestly, I think a bunch of people probably do expect perfection from him.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting in here. I don't listen to JB's stuff very much, and I know relatively little about him. I just like examinations of people and motivations/expectations.

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I may be misinformed. But after watching the Royal Albert Hall video and watching some Youtube clips, it seems like JB was bred for playing music. Like he grew up with a silver spoon of music in his mouth, was encouraged and supported every step of the way. This really shouldn't matter because the guy has talent. But when I hear "prodigy". I think of someone who has an amazing affinity for something. JB seems like his virtuosity was manufactured. As such his playing seems a little too contrived. It feels cheaper in some way. And it probably shouldn't.While he had the advantage of being in a family with strong musical influences, I don't think it's accurate to say he "grew up with a silver spoon of music in his mouth". His father was a local musician who ran a music store and Joe got his first guitar when he was 4 years old. But the "prodigy" talent was there and it was apparently his own love of playing that drove him, not the parental influence. He's often commented that, when other kids were playing sports or hanging out at the mall, all he wanted to do was practice on his guitar. By the time he was 7, he was playing SRV solos note-for-note, and he had his first professional gig at the age of 11 or so, as I recall. It is true that he attracted the attention--and tutelage--of Danny Gatton around that time, but this was based upon his talent and potential, not through any special connections or family influence. His biggest musical influences (other than Gatton, of course) were the great British blues/rock guitarists of the late '60's and early '70's, notably Clapton, Page, Beck, and Paul Kossoff (Free).

It's interesting that, in his mid-teens, Joe played in a band called "Bloodline" with a bunch of young guys who did have the benefit of a silver musical spoon--Berry Oakley Jr. (the deceased ABB bassist's son), Waylon Krieger (Robby's son) and Erin Davis (Miles' son). Of the four, AFAIK Joe is the only one to make a real dent in the music biz as a performer. That despite being the only one without a famous musician father.

After considering throwing in the towel on pursuing a musical career in his early 20's, Bonamassa decided to stick with it and labored on the blues touring circuit in relative anonymity for many years. Though he caught the attention of the blues crowd in the early 2000's and released a series of albums that were critically well received, it really wasn't until around 2008 or so that he really started getting wider attention. The Royal Albert Hall show was something of a "coming out party" for him. Up to that time, he was more popular in Europe than he was here in his own country.

My point is that, aside from what you may think of his music and guitar stylings, he has gotten to where he is through a combination of talent and MANY years of hard work, period.

oldguy
February 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
He was encouraged to do what he loved, same as Eric Johnson, EVH, and a host of others. Without the drive and hard work, he (they) wouldn't have made their mark like they did.
Lots of musicians are told at a critical point in their life that music should come second to a formal education, continuing education including college, and a steady job in the work sector is more important than being a band member. When parents are supportive of their children's dreams of making music for a living, and encourage the child to go for it, I applaud it. I don't consider it a silver spoon, though.

Tig
March 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
When I was a kid, I was fortunate enough to see the greatest living blues musicians in concert and clubs. I was usually the only kid there.

I can't imagine being a 12 year old that was asked by BB King to tour with him! JB had/has so much natural talent and a love of music, he was certainly born to do this. There have been other blues naturals that got an early start, including Derek Trucks, Sean Costello, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Johnson, but JB's talent was recognized and honed even earlier.

MAXIFUNK
March 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
I watch Directv guitar center sessions last night and it was just after the release of Black Rock.
The interview was pretty straightforward. He actual played a 52 Tele a real 52 Tele that is he said he got it because that is what he learned on and feels like home. Although he did say "I mostly play Gibson guitars". He talked about his song writing style and how raw his home demos are. His playing was fantastic.

Duffy
March 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
Was that the same one I saw on DTV on Ch 101 where Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Noah did the duet, both playing K. W. Shepherd signature strats, the one with the cross and Noah on the one with the racing stripes?

I thought that was a very good GC session. "Blue on Black" sounded great.

player
March 1st, 2011, 09:05 PM
both Joe and Ringo Starr are in my friends on facebook.methinks if anyone had a silver spoon it was Richard Starky who was in the right place at the right time to replace their original drummer. - ah senior moment HA!

sunvalleylaw
March 1st, 2011, 11:22 PM
Sometimes I think that when I listen to music, I am not patient enough to appreciate it for what it is, at least initially. Therefore, I am more often attracted by quirky hooks, punky lines, etc., and have a harder time with stuff like traditional blues sounds, or some of the well crafted prog Spud has turned me on to. I just don't always have enough time to really listen and get into it.

Thus, after following this thread, I think I am done thinking Joe should sound like this or that, or should have done this or that, or pursued this or that tone, style, etc. I think I am going to re-visit his work and enjoy it for what he has done, and look forward toward what he may do next. I am sure he has worked for it. If I give it a better listen and am patient, I bet I will hear a lot of stuff I like. It may never become my favorite, but I bet I learn something at least from his playing. I may find that after I scratch the surface deeper, I find something I really like, similar to the classic jazz I have been enjoying many years after it was recorded.

MAXIFUNK
March 1st, 2011, 11:30 PM
sometimes i think that when i listen to music, i am not patient enough to appreciate it for what it is, at least initially. Therefore, i am more often attracted by quirky hooks, punky lines, etc., and have a harder time with stuff like traditional blues sounds, or some of the well crafted prog spud has turned me on to. I just don't always have enough time to really listen and get into it.

Thus, after following this thread, i think i am done thinking joe should sound like this or that, or should have done this or that, or pursued this or that tone, style, etc. I think i am going to re-visit his work and enjoy it for what he has done, and look forward toward what he may do next. I am sure he has worked for it. If i give it a better listen and am patient, i bet i will hear a lot of stuff i like. It may never become my favorite, but i bet i learn something at least from his playing. I may find that after i scratch the surface deeper, i find something i really like, similar to the classic jazz i have been enjoying many years after it was recorded.

great post!!!!

Lev
March 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
To be fair I was critical of the 'recent' Bonamassa releases early in this thread but I am diggin the new song Dust Bowl.

7JCzjz6zkH4