PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton 1968 guitar demo

Spudman
February 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
http://vimeo.com/8119784

1968 Interview and gear demo with Eric Clapton. It's a bit Spinal Tapish.

kidsmoke
February 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
very cool.

tjcurtin1
February 1st, 2011, 06:12 PM
"What would Nigel say?":rotflmao: The best satire cuts really close to the truth! Those Brit interviewers from the 60's always asked the most asinine questions...

Jimi75
February 2nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
Pretty cool. Have seen that video some time ago...:-)

ZMAN
February 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I am really getting back to my SG. I have owned one for 42 years and I hardly play it. I recently picked up a G400 and I can't put it down. I am looking for a Gibson SG Standard as we speak. I still say his Gibson tone really was much better than his Strat tone. Also his mid boost pickup configuration was just an attempt at Humbucker tone.
Talk about a reliced quitar.
That was a great interview to see just how good he was back in 1968. If you think about the questions, back then nobody had any clue how these guys were getting these sounds out of an electric guitar. Now the questions seem dumb but back then they were not common knowledge. I had a 1968 Gibson SG, a 1965 Super Reverb and a Dunlop Cry baby Wah. I might have experimented with a fuzz box but that was it. You can imagine a Super Reverb being cranked to get breakup. That was the 60s.

Duffy
February 4th, 2011, 10:23 PM
That was worth watching. He described seemingly simple methods very effectively without sounding condescending. That is what real good, sincere, communication is all about.

Your style can develop from relatively simple guitar lines into progressively more complex improvizations and jams. You can entwine your emotions into your sound.

He sounds genuinely sincere and interestrd in explaining some of the basics of playing the increasingly powerful and supercharged electric guitar that was not that much earlier relegated to the parlor and other more reticent roles in its unamplified form. The electric guitar had only recently become the blast furnace of instrumental lead instruments that revolutionized electric music, much to the satisfaction of a hot rodded audience that was ready to roll.

Great historic interview!

Good luck with finding a nice SG Zman. I wouldn't mind finding one myself, or even buying a new Standard. I need to play a few and see if I think they sound significantly better than the nicer Epi's.

msteeln
February 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Oh man, where is the rest of that int.?! That was really good, but I need more!

Getting a great SG pretty much means $$. My near vintage snob friend picked up one of the Gibson laser copies of a few years back, w/Maestro vibrato, and loves it, but at the price he should have married it.

tjcurtin1
February 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM
That was a great interview to see just how good he was back in 1968. If you think about the questions, back then nobody had any clue how these guys were getting these sounds out of an electric guitar. Now the questions seem dumb but back then they were not common knowledge.

Zman, that is a good point. Spud's 'Spinal Tap ' comment set me off, and I was thinking in that vein.... It does seem that Christopher Guest was taking off just that kind of an interview in the film. Also, I suppose that the accent and the way the questions were delivered adds to a stuffy kind of feel, but even that could be an artifact of the 60's that sounds stilted now. But think of some of those early British interviews of the Beatles by old-guy BBC interviewers...!

Iago
February 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM
"What would Nigel say?":rotflmao: The best satire cuts really close to the truth! Those Brit interviewers from the 60's always asked the most asinine questions...

Nigel : "Not loud enough" :D

I love this little video. The tone is so dynamic, listen to how many variations he gets just by using volume and pick strength. Awesome.

Tone2TheBone
February 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
This is my favorite video of Eric.

..."pick-kups on week-kends"... lol the Brits crack me up.

duhvoodooman
February 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
This video dates back to my senior year in HS, and I thought Clapton in his days with the long hair, mustache and psychedelic paint-job SG was just the coolest dude in the universe. He was my first real "guitar hero"....

oldguy
February 9th, 2011, 02:24 PM
"People like the Who..........Pete Townshend"
"What, you mean you want me to break the guitar up?"
:rollover

ZMAN
February 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
"People like the Who..........Pete Townshend"
"What, you mean you want me to break the guitar up?"
:rollover
I have the exact guitar that Pete Townshend used.

Iago
February 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
And then, there's Jeff Beck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p05vOgGNSo

oldguy
February 10th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I have the exact guitar that Pete Townshend used.

Is it one he broke up?
Or do you mean one exactly like the guitar that he used?
If you have one of the guitars Pete used and it's not broke up, it's worth some serious cash to someone, should you decide to sell it.