PDA

View Full Version : New from San Diego

Grateful_Ted
February 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hello All. I am new to this forum. I started, in earnest, to play guitar again and have a little over a year under my belt after several years hiatus. I am taking a lesson every couple of weeks at Moe's Guitars. I have a Mexican Strat (1996) in Hendrix White (cream), and a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top in transparent amber, a Peavey Delta Blues 115 amp and the small Peavey Vypyr 15. I also have an 80's Yamaha dreadnought that needs to be fixed. Pedals include Boss Blues Driver and a Deltalab Tube Overdrive that I just picked up for $30 at GC -- great pedal! It sounds awesome on my Peavey DB on the clean channel.

I recently purchased a Jamman Solo looper and it it making a huge difference in my playing. I highly recommend this looper or some way to play over a loop if you don't have anybody to play with. I play blues and stuff like the Stones and Santana. At first I only knew those blues scale boxes but now I am learning so much more and how everything fits together by focusing on both rhythm and lead and learning the fretboard using the CAGED system. My teacher turned me on to playing the phrygian and dorian modes over a I ii progression (part of Samba pa Ti) and I love it. I am looking for more progressions that I can loop for practicing some solos. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who post here.

-Ted

Robert
February 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Welcome Ted! Cool nickname!

You can call me Deep Blue! :)

I have a Mexican Squire too. I have the previous JamMan - great fun pedal.

Grateful_Ted
February 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM
It isn't a squire... those squieres are made somewhere in Asia. It is my understanding that the Mexican Strats are pretty comparable to the US Strats. Thanks and take care.

Robert
February 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ooops, sorry, I read too fast and too incorrectly. Although my Squier is in fact Mexican. It is not comparable to a US strat though. No way.

Tig
February 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Welcome to The Fret, Ted!

There are several of us here that started playing again after time away from the guitar. Be sure to check out some of the free lessons at DolphinStreet.com.

Spudman
February 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
:wave:Hi and welcome Ted. Nice to have you aboard and don't be shy.

bcdon
February 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Welcome aboard, Ted.

FrankenFretter
February 1st, 2011, 07:46 PM
Welcome aboard, GT! Sounds like you have a great starter collection going there. Keep up with those lessons, I know they've made a difference in my playing. Great to have you here!

Brian Krashpad
February 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Welcome Ted!

sunvalleylaw
February 2nd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Hey Ted! Welcome!

Bridgepin
February 10th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hi Ted
I am a newbee myself to the forum, Welcome :beer: cheers

deeaa
February 12th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Cheers and welcome!

I always think I need a looper, but then again I can use a computer for that...still....

pictoratus
February 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Ted. I'm also new here and have been playing for just under a year.

Great nickname! :socool