PDA

View Full Version : Squier Classic Vibe vs Fender

t_ross33
February 2nd, 2011, 11:16 PM
I'm going to be jamming a new combo with my drummer and back in the saddle as a bass player for the first time in quite a few years. In anticipation, I've been quietly cruising the web for ideas re: new gear and updating my bass rig.

I'm well aware the CV series Squiers get good reviews here, but this is the first head to head comparison I've come across - I really dig the CV 50's P. Thought you might enjoy it :thumbsup

x6Cd98DH__U

I'm not even going to tell you about the review for the Eastwood Classic 4 because that has me GASing a fair bit as well. OK, I give... here it is :happy

MmSUjhcJaPo

progrmr
February 3rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Keep in mind Ed Friedland can make ANY bass sound awesome!

That said, I had a CV P and it was fantastic (fiesta red). I had tough time between the sonic blue and FR - very good instruments for the money IMO.

EDIT: Yea, that Eastwood makes me want to pick up my bass again!

NWBasser
February 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
I actually liked the tone of the Squier P better than his Fender.

However, I thought his CS Jazz sounded far better than the Squier CV jazz.

From the sound clip I heard, the CV Jazz sounded kind of dull without the classic jazz growl. I'd replace the pickups straight away on the jazz, but the P sounded quite good.

marnold
February 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I think I'm in complete agreement with you NWB. Of course, his CS Jazz had better sound better since you could probably get about eight of the Squiers for the same price. The P was remarkably similar sounding. There was a difference for sure, but it was more of a "varying levels of good" kind of thing than good vs. bad.

That's a surprisingly beefy bridge on those Squiers. That's almost always where you can tell the difference between price levels right away.

Spudman
February 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
That was a really good comparison, and of course I'm wanting a CV Jazz bass. I don't know exactly why, I just do.

Which, between the Jazz and the P bass, have the skinniest necks side to side?

Eric
February 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
Let me see if I can answer this trivia question: jazz bass! Did I win??

I had to give a bass back to a friend this weekend, and his bass neck at the nut was considerably skinner than most guitar necks I've played.

marnold
February 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
You are right, Eric. Jazz basses have the skinnier necks. That's the kind I tend to prefer. Having said that, my Spector's neck is absolutely massive and I like that too.

sunvalleylaw
February 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I have GAS for a bass some day too. I wondered if there was a good CV option. Now I know! The other one I was interested in some day was the one that was a cross between a Jazz and P. But this one looks pretty sweet for what I would think my needs would be.

deeaa
February 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I dunno, I just love the Squier vibe strat I butchered; the one-piece neck and moderate frets and the light alloy trem block maybe the keys, but it just sounds so lively and...well it screams real nice with the EMG85, and the neck is perfect to play, not a bad thing about it really. Been very surprised.

deeaa
February 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hm, here too I seem to prefer the squires..they sound more airy and wide somehow, less 'solid' but more lively, maybe a little less lower mids I think. Just the same difference I find with my strat.

NWBasser
February 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
While I think the Squier CV jazz is a great bass and likely better than the MIM Fender, in stock form it doesn't have that sort of nasty, aggressive growl that I expect from a jazz. I'd have to drop some new pickups in one to get the right tone out of it.