PDA

View Full Version : Robin Trower

Zip
February 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Saw Robin Trower last night. Front row seat, about 4 feet from Robin. He's old, he's ugly, he has mad tone and he's plain awesome. Played one Strat the whole show, through a pair of Marshalls. Fulltone pedals everywhere. He looks to be in good health, and looks like he had a blast playing. Did I mention he's loud? It's true - he plays very loud.

Same small club has George Clinton & P Funk playing in a few weeks (you listening, MAXI?). Life's pretty good :)

Spudman
February 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Lucky you. I'd really like to see him too. Unfortunately that requires that I travel a long distance to do so. Did you take earplugs with you? I knew Robin is loud especially if you are that close in front of him. Playing loud is fun.:dude

Jimi75
February 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Saw him once live in concert and it was his birthday. You can imagine the atmosphere was pretty good. Trower is a great player and he has cool songs on board. I like the singer in his band. He looks like a little schoolboy with his glasses, but he's top notch in singing Trowers compositions :-)

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I saw him twice back in the 80s, both were very good shows, but loud. He had four 100-watt Marshall stacks, IIRC. One would have sufficed at the venue he was playing. Great player, awesome tone.

Eric
February 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Saw Robin Trower last night. He's old, he's ugly, he has mad tone and he's plain awesome.
Awesome.

That's signature material for someone!

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
He's old, he's ugly, he has mad tone and he's plain awesome. Hey, I match up on two of those! Unfortunately, you can guess which two.... :thwap

marnold
February 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I'd love to see him some day.

Zip
February 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM
He plays the same club here every year, as does Johnny Winter and a slew of other fine folk. Also, I just bought floor seats to the Rush show about two miles away (June concert). I have a guest bedroom, Marnold, if you ever want to catch some great live music. :)

The venue I saw Robin at was The Handlebar (http://www.handlebar-online.com/calendar.asp). Taking my daughter there to see Apocalyptica in March, if I can sneak a minor in ;)

msteeln
February 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I like the singer in his band.I think he has Davey Pattison back in the fold from the 80s, if so, you should have liked him, he's one of the unsung greats and handles the old Trower classics very well in his own style.

Zip
February 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Yup, it was Davey. The bass player, drummer & singer were all in Gamma a few years ago.