PDA

View Full Version : Bass Amp Recommendations

jpurvis
February 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been playing bass in a classic rock/country band for a while and we're getting good enough to start playing shows. Knowing little about amps I was wondering what size amp I should buy to play small bars? And if anyone had any recommendations? I had an old TNT 115 but it was stolen. I've been using a little practice amp and I'm looking to upgrade. I sometimes play my '76 P bass and my main axe is a '06 MIM P bass if that helps. Thanks!

progrmr
February 4th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Find another Peavey - as you know they're built like tanks and very reliable. I haven't found a bass amp I like better.

t_ross33
February 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
+1 for the Peavey - good solid choice, and quite affordable. Combos are handy, but a good head/cab setup is cool, depending on how big (or small) you want your rig. Look for an amp that has a DI out so you can feed a signal direct to a Front of House PA system if available. I'm to the point where I love gear, but hate hauling it around - maybe look at a Sans Amp pedal/DI from Tech 21 and forget the amp all together :)

marnold
February 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hard to go wrong with Peavey. If you have a GC nearby, you might want to check out some of the larger Acoustic (the company) combos. Lots of amph for not much cash.

Duffy
February 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I had a TNT 115 that I bought brand new in the early 80's that I have given to my son. Even though I bought him an SWR Workingpro 15 great new relatively expensive amp, he still likes the TNT. A lot of people would like to get their hands on his TNT 115.

I don't think they make them like they used to.

I personally bought myself an inexpensive on sale plus a coupon Fender Rumble 100 with 15 inch speaker for general use and I like it, of course it is not even close to as nice as the TNT was.

However, I bought a portable bass amp to use at bedside and after playing many small bass amps with my Schecter Stilletto Elite 5 string, I found out that almost all of the smaller 30 - 60 watt practice amps COULD NOT HOLD the bottom B string. They all made cracking and popping sounds when cranked at all (and the bass has an active preamp and electronics). The cracking and popping sounds are a type of distortion, but it is not the type of distortion that is at all musical and sounds more like the speaker breaking and things like that.

After playing several of these practice amps with my Schecter (I advise bringing your own bass when checking out bass amps) I finally plugged into the new Marshall MBB30 bass practice amp and WOW what a nice amp. Completely held together when overdriving the five string's B string at full volume on both channels and sounded very excellent cranked thru both channels, as well as turned down. It has two channels - modern and vintage. It has a defeatable and adjustable compression circuit with on off switch and sensitivity controls. It has a built in limitter and an EQ plus a three position EQ voicing switch. The overdrive channel is very pleasant sounding as well as is the clean channel. I use this amp all the time.

If I get a bigger bass amp I'll get one of the larger Marshall MBB bass amps. They have a 100 watt one and a 450 watt one that look great to me and they a tube in their circuits to warm them up. No affln. to Marshall, these are great amps with great tones and don't cost a fortune. My MBB30 was 199 with one ten inch speaker.

One thing to remember. A bass amp needs a lot more watts for playing clubs than a guitar amp. A general rule of thumb is for the bass player to have an amp that is three times the wattage of the guitar player's amp. So if the guitar player has a 40 watt tube amp this is equal to a 120 watt solid state guitar amp. Because one tube watt is approx. equal to three solid state watts. Since most bass amps are solid state you would need a 350 watt bass amp to compete with a guitar player with a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, for instance. It is more difficult for a bass amp to push the longer wavelengths to the point where the apparent volume is as loud as a guitar amp. The guitar amp pushes shorter wavelengths at higher frequencies and this requires less amplifier power than a bass amp pushing longer wavelengths at lower frequencies.

It is common for bass relatively inexperienced or beginner bass players to underestimate the amount of watts they will need for their rigs in order to play in a band with a drummer and hot guitarist. You don't want to be unidentifiable in the band's sound because you are being drownded out by a loud drummer and powerful guitar amps, Marshall tube amps, etc.

I'm partial to the new Marshalls because of the five string and its special requirements from an amp, but there are some great bass amps out there like Hartke, MarkBass, and even Peavey or Ampeg. SWR makes super great bass amps. My son's SWR Workingpro 15 has all kinds of limiters and sound shaping circuits plus an adjustable XLR line out so you don't need a direct box to the PA, plus you have some control over the PA if the mixer guy turns you down.

Good luck. Sounds like you have excellent bass guitars, worthy of an excellent bass amp like the SWR or big Marshall.

NWBasser
February 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
How could I miss a bass amph thread!!??

OK, here's my take as a bass player for over 25 years.

Depending on the other musicians in the band, I'd recommend at least a 300 watt head and either a 15 or a 4x10 cabinet. This would get you the volume to be heard over the drums.

Beyond this point, much would depend on your budget and desired tone goals. On the less expensive side of things are used Peaveys, Carvins, and Acoustics. If you like punchy and clean, Gallien Kruger is a good choice. The GK RB800 is renowned for solid reliability and can be had fairly cheap on the used market.

If you want stellar tone, lots of features, and extremely high quality, Genz Benz makes some truly awesome amphs. The new Streamliner series are getting lots of raves lately.

If you want ooey gooey tubyness, then an Aguilar DB751, Ampeg SVT, Orange AD200, etc. are expensive routes to that end.

A much cheaper (and lighter) route to tube tone bliss would be to get a high powered and cheap solid state head and use a Tech 21 BassVT pedal in front of it.

And be sure to let us know what you end up with!

Eric
February 9th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Depending on the other musicians in the band, I'd recommend at least a 300 watt head and either a 15 or a 4x10 cabinet. This would get you the volume to be heard over the drums.
So 4x10" or 1x15" would be comparable? Interesting.

t_ross33
February 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I think they'd be comparable in the amount of air they can push (perceived volume), but they would certainly have a different voice. 4x10 would likely be tighter and punchier whereas 1x15 would sound thicker with more rumble and bottom end.

NWBasser
February 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM

No, not really. A single 15 cab might be loud enough to keep up with a drummer and is more comparable to a 2x10. Sort of the bare minimum. A decent 4x10 will certainly get the job done.

In the realm of general commercial bass cabs, 10s usually give a faster, punchier tone while 15s are generally more smooth. However, cab design is a much bigger factor in bass cabs than guitar cabs and it's quite possible to build a very deep-sounding cab with 10s in it.

Keep in mind, all of this is predicated on not having substantial FOH support. If you have a serious PA, a direct box will do and many bass players have chosen this route.

jpurvis
February 14th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Well the guitar players don't use half stacks and our drummer doesn't play hard enough to crack symbols lol if that helps. We've got a small Peavey pa that we can line out to if need be. Plan on using the house pa's if we needed more power than that. I've been looking at the Acoustic B-100, B-200. and at used amps in that price range. Think I can get by with a 100 watt amp with a line out to our pa or should I plan on getting a bigger amp?

deeaa
February 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Just remember in bass sound the actual bass used AND the type of sound mandates much of what kind of an amp you need.

Our bassist played a Rickenbacker copy with a Fender Bassman head into a guitar cab and he could be heard in the next town I'm sure. Our current bassist plays a Precision copy into I think a 200W SRW /4x10" and he can be well heard but it's pretty clunky sounding.

But, both are/were rather midrange-rich rock bass sounds, if you want very much clean real low end, you need a LOT of power to deliver that. With bass there is no amp too big, you can always just turn it down unlike most guitar amps which work best at a given volume by and large.

Thus, you can get by even with a tiny 30W amp if you play aggressively with the right bass and don't mind a guitary sound, but even with a NOT loud a band I'd start with something like 100W tube or 200W SS or preferably more for future expansion. Just my 2c I only played bass a lot for a few years (I used no real amp but a 100W wedge monitor and ran a line to PA as well, 5-string bass)

Duffy
February 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM
In a band you might seriously want to consider more than one hundred watts, for sure, like these experienced guys here are saying. I know you have a certain limited amount you can spend and you want to get this "now". I'd look around a lot and hold out for my best deal. Maybe a used head and cabinet. A drummer definitely doesn't have to be cracking cymbals to be VERY loud and a lot of guitar players keep turning up their amps until they are real loud.

I have a one hundred watt Fender bass amp and believe me, it is not loud enough to carry the sounds I want to make in a rock band situation. First of all, I would have to crank it to the max and turn the treble up and use the brightest settings. When I turn down into the lower tone frequencies the volume is no where near as loud as when the treble and mid are maxed.

If you are just going to be practicing at home and maybe doing some light garage jams you should be alright, but if you are going anything bigger I think you will be happier with at least the B200, without question. I kind of like your B200 idea - I think it would be a cool amp and it might just get you thru what you are into, considering the PA and everything. Question is, can that PA handle a bass without damaging it?

I don't want to sound like I know it all, etc. I appologize if I do, but some of us are encouraging you to get as many watts as you can afford if you are going to play in a rock band. If two hundred watts is all you can afford, then that's it. I would look any used electronic equipment over real good. Repairs are expensive. Some shops guarantee their used stuff for a short time, if you are real lucky.

You don't want to waste your money and you are probably going to not want to have to max out the amp. You probably also will want to get a lot of versitility out of your amp in terms of different tones, power levels, etc. To do those things you'll need to have more power. Like three times the power of the guitar player's amps.

My opinion would be to get the Acoustic B two hundred instead of the one hundred for sure. In my opinion you will be way happier in the long run if you hold off now for a while until you get a powerful enough amp to play with in the band without having to rely on PA's, etc. You may want to lay down some thick and heavy thumps and snappy growls that push out there real good.

A friend of mine is in a loud heavy metal band and he has a two thousand watt bass amp head and a cabinet with eight ten inch speakers; not the greatest stuff in the world but half way decent and is satisfactory in getting his job done. Of course he can do anything he wants with this rig, and he also has a Musicman bass and a Geddy Lee Fender J Bass. So he is at the semi professional level and is trying real hard to be a full time professional. Of course this is not an easy pursuit. He is always trying to acquire upgraded equipment for himself and his band.

One thing he tells guys is that if they want to open for his shows that they should seriously look at upgrading their equipment, not immediately, but to make continuing improvements - just like they do in his band. A lot of these guys don't even have jobs so upgrading their equipment is not what they want to hear. They just want to get on the venue and rock out, get the ego rush and the babes. He also books acts at a small venue that he manages and he looks over the equipment list in the portfolio of every band he considers when selecting who he is going to even audition, let alone book. Might not seem fair but he's the boss and that's how he rolls.

You will know when you find the right amp, I think. In my opinion, you'll feel it - it will just feel right and have more than the punch that you think you need. Because it might sound loud in a music store where they don't want you to crank it up anyway, but when you get it home you might find out that when it was set at 3 at the store, that it doesn't get much louder at 10. Some amps are like that. Just because it sounds loud at three doesn't mean it will sound super loud at ten. If it's super loud at three you know it will be super loud at eight.

Seems like you are taking your time and looking around instead of just jumping in blind.

deeaa
February 14th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Excellent post there Duffy :-)

One more thought came to mind: buying used is one thing, but buying this modern ultracheapo Behringer/alto/t-bone whatever stuff is yet another.
It's funny how these days we get good guitars cheap and equipment for a song, but in equipment...well you notice the cheapness too well after a year or so.

I'd rather get me a 15 year old Peavey bass head than a brand new T-bone bass system, or a Behringer one, or any of those brands. Me & my friends have bought a lot of cheap end stuff like that from poweramps to mixers, and for home use they're OK but pretty soon you realize not a single piece of such equipment has survived longer than a year or so in real band use...I alone have had two PA amps blow just a few years old (caps, and the resulting destruction to tightl packed IC boards makes for so costly repairs it's easier to buy a new POS instead), while we still have this old Peavey poweramp in use from late 70's or something and no problems.

Dunno squat about Acoustic amps, though.

Duffy
February 14th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Very good ideas Deeaa, and helpful to anyone thinking about a bass amp.

I'm supposed to be getting my late 80's Peavey TNT 115 bass amp back from my son in a few days. This amp is probably 150 ss watts without the extention cabinet. With a cab it puts out 200 I think.

Anyway, this old Peavey is WAY louder than my Fender 100 watt Rumble combo that I bought a couple years ago. It is also VERY heavy. But it is worth it. It has tone shaping all over it, limiters, etc., plus a nine band graphic EQ. This thing has stood up to the test of time better than I would ever have imagined. The only problems I ever had with it was having to tighten down the ground wire to the ground - which I diagnosed and did myself.
I'm looking forward to getting that old amp back. It was gigged with extensively in my son's band, and continued to be used by the band, on loan, after he left the band. Probably was gigged for five of the last years on a regular basis at high volume.

If a person could find something like that old Peavey TNT 115 used, he might have a good deal. You can also find some old style Ampeg bass amps around here every now and then that seem decent, but power is always an issue - too many of these used amps don't have much power.

Three hundred and fifty watts wouldn't be bad for some uses. That would have some cool potential. Plus speaker sensitivity is another factor. If you replace the stock bass speaker with one that is over 100dB sensitivity you will get a WAY louder sounding amp. So buying a used older bass amp might not be a totally bad idea, if you can find one that isn't beat too bad.

Also, around me you don't see hardly ANY bass amps that are real tube bass amps, with preamp tubes and power amp tubes. The only ones I see are the ones with the pre-amp tubes to warm up the sound. They don't have the power amp tubes that would make the amp really LOUD. Finding one of them would be very cool, in decent shape.

An engineer friend of mine told me a long time ago, to spend as much as you can afford on musical equipment, stereos, speakers, etc. Because the better stuff costs more money.

So I guess it's a relative thing. You can only afford to spend as much as you think you can afford. But it is the principle that counts. You apply it within your own specific parameters that only you have to live with and try to understand.

You can also look around for sales on the internet places and even call places up and try to get them to give you 15 percent off, etc. You can go to local music stores and see if they have anything that has been sitting around for a few years that they can't move and sometimes you can get REALLY great deals that way - like I did when I got my NOS Ibanez SZ320 goldtop for 200 dollars. It is a very nice guitar.

By me they have the old Fender Rumble series that has been replaced with the new Rumble series. You can get deep discounts on the old Rumble's. I saw a 2 x 10 combo with 150 watts I think going very cheap. Plus they make a 350 watt one. When the amps sit around for a few years and they can't get rid of them sometimes you can get a real good deal, but you have to ask and try to get your best deal - rather than just pay retail price.

Acoustic used to be a notable amp manufacturing company years ago. Guitar Center or one of it's conglomerate bought the name a few years ago and started offering Acoustic amps again as a house brand - you see them on MF and so forth. I don't think they bought the old factory or any old equipment or even use any of the old amp designs, but they are making amps now and they are reputedly quite decent bass amps. I have heard a lot of people speak highly of them.

Also someone could use the method of trying to find a bass amp head here and a cabinet there, type of thing. Find some bargains and put together your own stack. A decent head always leaves you the opportunity to add another cabinet or upgrade your cabinet with a different one as time goes by.

NWBasser
February 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM
A big consideration in bass amps is headroom. It's usually much better to run a lot of power at less volume than to run less power full-tilt.
If you're pushing a 200-watt bass amp with a single 15 to be heard, it works that amp pretty hard and the speaker won't hold up to much of that either. Dynamic peaks, common to bass, can really do a number on both the amp and speakers. I had a Tubeworks 250-watt combo with a single 15 and I had to really push it hard to work with a drummer. It's now long-gone.

Generally, more speakers will give much more volume than watts. Although you do want to have some power to get them moving.
If you go the combo route, be sure to get one with a speaker extension so that you can add on if needed.

I think the old Peaveys are a very good value for sheer reliability although they are quite heavy. Just get the highest power you can afford.

FWIW, I use a 600-watt Genz-Benz head into an Avatar 4x10 cab in a moderately loud rock band. I don't ever push it hard and keep it well within its safe operating range.

jpurvis
February 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the great advice everyone! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm trying to take my time to find what I want/need. I would've hated to have bought a smaller watt amp only to get home and wish I'd have spent a little extra.(agree 100% as to keep upgrading gear as needed) So this has got me thinking of looking into the 200 watt range. I wish I could get my old TNT back. lol I think my dad payed something ridiculous like $200 for it and the 76 precision back in the late 80's. Excellent points about the modern cheap amps not holding up. I want something that'll last for a while so i'm thinking about a used peavey or maybe an acoustic b-200. What do you think? Tone that I'm after is the usual old fat fender type and maybe a pick sound like Skynyrds Leon Wilkeson. (saving up for a jazz or thunderbird bass too.) :AOK

t_ross33
February 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Tone that I'm after is the usual old fat fender type and maybe a pick sound like Skynyrds Leon Wilkeson. (saving up for a jazz or thunderbird bass too.) :AOK

Well according to THIS LINK (http://www.scribd.com/doc/23991128/Leon-Wilkeson-Equip-History), Leon played Ampeg SVTs. I would suggest something along the lines of an older Peavey amp and augment it with a Tech 21 VT Bass or VT Bass Deluxe pedal. Should be close enough for Rock and Roll.

NWBasser
February 15th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I see that the Acoustic B200 has an extension for a speaker out. You can put another 15 beneath it if needed which is a very good option to have.

I think you could get in the ballpark of Leon's tone with the Acoustic. If I recall correctly, it has a gain control to add in some dirt which would get somewhat close.

T-Ross' suggestion of a VT Bass pedal would really get you close to the classic rock SVT sound.

jpurvis
February 21st, 2011, 01:30 AM
The more research I do the more stuff I want to buy haha. I've never played with bass pedals much but after looking on youtube the VT really opens up tone options and gives a fuller sound. I may have to get one of those in the near future. I'm going up to Guitar Center within the next few days to check out the b-200 and I'll let everyone know what happens.

MAXIFUNK
February 21st, 2011, 04:10 AM
BUY WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD and make the most of it. Used can be great for sure but if something new falls into your lap why not.
I had Peavey gear in the 80's loved it. But if you can do not over look Ampeg, Mark Bass, but my number one choice for the most bang for the buck is Promethean Bass Amplifier Head separates or combo.

Ibanezhttp://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Promethean-Bass-Amplifier-Head?sku=580828

jpurvis
March 3rd, 2011, 02:31 AM
Well I've found a very nice used Peavey Mark VIII Bass Amp with the foot petal and matching cab. It appears to be in great shape and even has the original covers. Guy wants $325. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I don't know what it should be worth. Any input would be great!

NWBasser
March 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Well I've found a very nice used Peavey Mark VIII Bass Amp with the foot petal and matching cab. It appears to be in great shape and even has the original covers. Guy wants $325. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I don't know what it should be worth. Any input would be great!

What sort of cab does it come with?

Beware if its the dreaded 1820 cab. You need a forklift to move those.

jpurvis
March 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM
Well,I found out that it has the 1820 cab. Thanks for the Input!

Duffy
March 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Nothing like a nice heavy bass cabinet to develop a good solid deep bass tone. It's definitely worth having around. I hope you got a good rig.

Has it tested out okay? Is it producing some great low end thump? It should be loud enough, eh?

NWBasser
March 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Nothing like a nice heavy bass cabinet to develop a good solid deep bass tone. It's definitely worth having around. I hope you got a good rig.

Has it tested out okay? Is it producing some great low end thump? It should be loud enough, eh?

Sorry Duffy, I gotta disagree here. Bass cabs have come a long way in the last 10 years or so. You can, and should, get a very solid deep bass without too much weight. Neo speakers have really opened things up for bass.

I used to have that very cab and wouldn't go near one today. They sound OK, but are extremely heavy and not as loud as you might think. A new 4x10 would be much louder and nearly half the weight. They are "permanent fixture heavy". There are so many better options around these days that I'd dismiss that one.

Duffy
March 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Okay NW but I was thinking on his budget that it might be a great compromise. Something light would definitely have advantages over the permanent fixture as far as traveling around playing shows goes.

Maybe the B200 would be a better option.

I've seen a lot of guys lugging real heavy rigs into shows. I'm sure carrying real heavy stuff around would get old. However I see a lot of stuff being carried by two guys. Even a Vox AC30 guitar amp is heavy and has handles for two guys to lug it around; but it is a great amp and well worth the effort to many players.

I would consider the reputation of that Peavey amp and compare it to how often I'd be hauling it around.

Something light with a lot better volume and tone would definitely be a real pleasure.

Found this from a guy that likes it- Quote Fordkisskrazy,

"Hey all, found me an amp finally, Peavey mark VIII, got it for $150.00. I don't know much about it, know its 350 watts @ 4 ohms and 600 watts @ 2 ohms. Thanks so much for all the help I got from everyone.
What you all think?
Oh ya, this thing rocks! pictures were falling off the walls upstairs! Gotta love it. Lol"

and from Fuzzboxvoodoo,

"Those Peavey amps are great I think that they could survive a nuclear blast.Chorus,Crossover,EQ,Compressor.
Enjoy it."

and from Dblg,

"Great inexpensive amp. I had one for 12 years...paid for itself 50x over. Very nice head for the price IMO. Have fun!"

and from Kramerbassfan,

"Keep that amp in good condition, and a recap at somepoint, take into account any parts that move (input/speaker jacks) and that amp will outlive your grandkids http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/colors/cool.gif"

also by Honkin' down-low,

"Destined to be a Classic and made in the USA - Cool! Congrats!!"

So, I don't know. Based on what these previous owners have said it could be a bargain for someone on a budget, especially if you are looking at some seriously underpowered amps and find the more powerful ones out of your budget. After all, "You got to pay your dues to play the blues".

If you are strong enough to haul that stuff around, it might be the best find you have found so far.

I wouldn't dismiss it outright. You "might" be able to get a lighter more sensitive cabinet later if it seems necessary.

All I'm saying is that this appears to be not that bad a deal, based upon what others have said about it, taking into consideration the budget of the buyer. Hey, it has a graphic eq, compressor, chorus and a crossover onboard and is probably not expensive at all.

If it works good it could be a real decent option, heaviness aside.

I would definitely play it and play an Acoustic B200 - both are readily available, and see how they seem to compare.

One advantage with the B200 is that it comes with a warranty, on top of the fact that it would be a lot lighter - but tone and sound and loudness might be things I would want to compare.

Also, if you are going to be playing in a band there are going to be other guys around to help you carry anything heavy.

It's your decision man, needless to say. But those old Peavey's are reputedly nothing to scoff at. No offense to you NWbasser, I know you are just trying to help the dude out, just like me, and a real heavy rig is something to deal with.

When you find the right thing you will "know" it. You have been looking around and probably have a feel and ear for things by now so that if you think it out you will probably make the best decision, at least a decision based on a lot of patience and searching around.

NWBasser
March 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Duffy, I have to agree with you that the Peavey head looks very good. They make some very solid and reliable equipment.

That Peavey head paired with a better cab would be a fine rig indeed!

Unless you've actually moved one of those 1820 cabinets around a few times, it's hard to understand just how incredibly cumbersome and heavy those things actually are.

I'm speaking from direct experience here.

There are likely much better used cab options out there at that price point.

Also, I'd recommend trying out any bass cabs first. Bass guitar can be pretty rough on drivers and it's not unusual to find blown ones in used cabs.

Listen for flapping and distortion.

Duffy
March 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have a Peavey TNT 115 in great shape from the late eighties and that is one HEAVY combo. It is work for two people to carry it any distance. But it has great tone and has a lot of tone shaping controls, plus a great speaker.

I totally agree about checking out any cab for blown speakers. I would definitely crank it up and turn up the drive an bass so I could push it towards the limit to see what it sounds like. Music stores don't like to have you do this, but I would do it anyway and tell them when they complain that I need to see how it performs when put to the stage level test, because I'm the customer, a serious customer ready to put hard earned on the table to buy the thing. I'd listen very carefully for distortion and flapping around sounds like I ripped cone. I'd also, at low volume, put my ear to each speaker to verify that each of them outputs the sound well. Might be able to hear some variation there too. Some of the blown speaker sounds won't show up until you crank the amp and push some air with the speakers. I discovered that with a 212 amp i had that turned out to have one bad speaker with a severely ripped speaker cone.

jpurvis
March 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks again everyone for the advice! I found out that it had been cutting off at random, so I had to pass on that amp. I wound up buying an Acoustic B200 and I love it so far. It is plenty loud for what I use it for and has a great tone.

NWBasser
March 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Congratulations on the new amph!

I hope you can shake up some rooms with it.

Duffy
March 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Great. I bet that is a real nice amp. Is that quite heavy as well? How are the tone shaping controls and does it have compression built in and a limiter?

That's the problem buying old electronic equipment. It may have been cutting in and out because of a bad ground but who knows. You won't have to worry about that now. Plus the Acoustic probably has a more efficient speaker anyway, that might make up for the volume difference, if there would have been one.

Two hundred watts should give you some room so you don't have to turn it all the way up when in the band.

Good luck with it and thanks for letting us know what you wound up doing.

jpurvis
March 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
It's not really that heavy more bulky than anything, but I haven't moved it around a whole lot yet. As far as a limiter I haven't pushed it hard enough to find out. lol at half volume i'm over powering everyone in the band. It is plenty loud and the tone does't get distorted with volume unless you turn the gain up and want it to. The knobs are very responsive to fine adjustments. It sounds really good at low volume too, all around awesome. I haven't found the fine tuned tone that I want out of it yet but I have no doubt that it is there.

Duffy
March 22nd, 2011, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a great amp.

I have a Zoom B2.1u that is really fun. It has all kinds of tone shaping and produces some very satisfying sounds, plus you can set it up to really cut thru, or lay back an give a smooth bass tone or a growly thump. I get a lot more out of my Marshall MB30 with it, but can't remember how it sounds with my Rumble 100. I just got my new guitar room set up and need to try out the Rumble again. I have the Marshall down by my bed in my amp wall, with my J bass with flatwounds right within reach for when I want to grab it. I notice when I work out with the bass before playing the guitar I'm really warmed up for the guitar afterwards and it feels really light and fast. Plus getting into the bass rythym helps too. Sometimes I warm up on my Conga drums and that gets me warmed up for guitar as well. Something about the rythym and brain to hand cooridnation I think.

Do you play a five string thru the B200. I found that a lot of amps pop and crackle when you crank up the low B string, making them marginally useful for the five string. Wondering how yours handles that B string, being that it has a fifteen inch speaker, if you have any experience so far. It looked like the ten inch speakers were handling the five string better than the fifteen's I tried, however many ten inch speakers were poping and crackling pitifully until I discovered the Marshall MB30 which held the B string with no problem at all. I have never had a problem with the Marshall not being able to completely handle the B string. I haven't tried to push the Rumble 100 fifteen inch with the five string active electronic Schecter Stilletto Elite yet, but I will soon now that the guitar room is finished. I have liked the Rumble and am looking forward to playing it again.

I have always wanted to try out a nice Acoustic and it is great to hear about you having such good luck with yours.

Thanks for the feedback. It is definitely interesting.

jpurvis
March 24th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I'm just playing 4 string p bass's at the moment in standard tuning, but my friend plays a 5 string active schecter in a metal band. I took it over last night to their practice and it did better than I thought it would. He regularly maxes out a fender rumble 350 and my acoustic cut through better than his amp in the low mids. I don't know how to explain it other than it wasn't louder than his amp but it cut through better. Keep in mind this was in a living room with 2 guitarist half stacks and a LOUD drummer so you couldn't hear thunder after about 2 songs.lol They're tuned to something like drop C or maybe lower and that is on his E string so the low B string was way low. It sounded pretty good I thought. He turned it up and it held its own, I didn't hear it clipping so I'm pretty impressed with it so far. "Something about the rythym and brain to hand cooridnation I think." lol when I can get all of that on the same page it is magical haha

NWBasser
March 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah Purvis, good EQ points make a big difference. A well-designed EQ can help get the bass just right in the mix. It sounds like you got a real winner with the Acoustic!

And that P-bass of yours will sit very well in a mix!

Duffy
March 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Man, I'm really glad that amp worked out for you and that you really like it. I think it does have an adjustable compression. The more I read about that B200 in specific, the more I like what I'm hearing. It is supposed to be a LOUD two hundred watts. I'm sure that is two hundred watts RMS. The speaker is probably real sensitive too and built real well, along with a cabinet design that gets the most out of the amp.

If I decide to get a bigger bass amp maybe I'll get one of those. The biggest one I have now is my Fender Rumble 100, which, although it isn't a pro model, I like a lot - even the pulsating red lights. I'm supposed to be getting my Peavey TNT 115 back from my son - it is a mid eighties model in great shape and is one hundred and fifty to two hundred watts, LOUD watts, very heavy, lots of tone shaping controls, slider eq section, and lots of connectability. I'm looking forward to getting it back. It is in a different category than the Rumble and it will be fun to a/b them.

By the way a guitar amp of mine failed over the weekend and I worked a deal with where I got it six months ago and I'm now getting a brand new Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, high gain amp. This should be fun. Sixty watts and not like any amp I have. The other amp blew up and I'm getting a full credit, so the 6505+ is only costing me 150. I got a fifteen percent discount because of a discount I had from another company. I'm looking forward to it and not having to go thru the warranty replacement with the other company.