PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I bought a First Act guitar!

kerc
November 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Here's the story:

I went today with my family to Toys R Us 'cos my kid wanted a Hot Wheels track set. As always, we went to the electronics section, and my eye is caught by a stack of instruments. In discount. So I look around the boxes and see this:

http://shop.firstact.com/WebServices/images/10-378-Everything_ProductPrimaryImage.jpeg

I took it out of the box and checked it out. Nice soft action, light body, wide, thick neck, big frets, nice binding. Rosewood was a little dry, as was the back of the neck, but then my Squier '51 was like that initally and after hours of playing is slinky smooth. The string-through bride has a nice solid design, well-planted against the body, with a brass block where the strings go through. Very solid, no rattles at all!

I check out the box for the price. From $200, down to $59.95. Damn! I check the specs on the box. Alnico PAF-style humbuckers...Hmm. This baby is going home with me!

I set her up, plugged her in, and I gotta say I'm completely amazed. Very nice tones out of this axe! I went to the First Act website to read more specs...The body is solid basswood. Nice, I like basswood.

So anyway, for $59.95 I got myself a nice looking, unique axe, which I can mod later if I want to, that plays nicely, and even has a two-year warranty.

I'm happy. :D I dunno, maybe I got lucky...! I'll try to post clips during the week!

Robert
November 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Holy cow, that sounds like and awesome deal! I've heard First Act guitars are decent acts.

Spudman
November 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Cool. I never would have even thought twice about NOT getting it if I had seen it. Who knew? Glad you got a good deal. Sound clips? Lets hear that puppy.

Hogfullofblues
November 5th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Wow, what a score. At that price you could give em away as Christmas presents (hint..hint)!

kerc
November 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Did I mention the First Act bass guitars for $49? Solid basswood and all? I'm gonna get me one of those for the next paycheck...All I need is a simple device for recording. This is what I'm talkin' about:

http://shop.firstact.com/WebServices/images/10-308-Everything_ProductPrimaryImage.jpeg

They had about four of these. I hope they're still there on the 15th...

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Wow, what a score. At that price you could give em away as Christmas presents (hint..hint)!

That is amazing. Let us know how it stacks up to your Squier '51. Could be a contender for my son's first. Not opposed to him having a humbucking machine. He played my strat tonight a little and is comfortable enough with a full size strat to not go 3/4 or even 5/8. I am also interested in weight/size of this guitar compared to the semi strat bodied Squire 51. As well as the rosewood neck compared to the maple '51. The LP knockoffs I have seen are too big and heavey for him so I do not want to go that route. Also, I'm excited to hear a clip. Congrats and have fun!

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Speaking of First Act guitars, has anyone seen the ads for Paul Westerberg's FA guitar, the PW580? (I saw one in this month's Guitar Player) A simple, stipped down, one pick up (humbucker?) deal. I always liked Paul, but don't think I could go for something that limited, especially compared to the one kerc found or the Squire '51.

http://www.amazon.com/Westerberg-PW580-Signature-First-Act/dp/B000EX85NW/sr=1-5/qid=1162831852/ref=sr_1_5/002-3596452-2824062?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments

kerc
November 6th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Here's a clip I recorded...First Act ME501 straight into Amptramp tube amplifier, mic'ed with a cheapie RS mic into the laptop. There's a slight honkiness and boxiness here that doesn't exist in "real life", and I think the culprit is the mic. I'll try to record with a different mic tomorrow. But it gives an idea of its sound.

Anyway, here's the clip. I went thru the pickup positions: bridge, both pups, neck, with all controls at 10. Excuse the clams...

http://cyberjammin.com/uploads/Music-Member/me501_test.mp3

:D

ted s
November 7th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Nice playing Kerc ! Clams ??

Lev
November 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Very cool playing and a nice tone too! Makes me wonder why I spent €1300 on my last strat. :o

tot_Ou_tard
November 7th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Nice clams Kerc. :DR

Spudman
November 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Awesome deal you got there. Good playing too.

aeolian
November 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I love clams! But you didn't have any.

aeolian

SuperSwede
November 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Sounds good Kerc, the body design looks really cool too.

Riley
November 7th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Nice guitar bro! Glad you got a cool deal on it! NIce playin on the clip too! :)

grungeiceman
March 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
PLEASE dont buy that bass, my freind had one and it costs 20 times more getting the thing decent then its worth, total junk in my opinion