PDA

View Full Version : Gary Moore passed away - RIP

Spudman
February 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Just heard today that Gary Moore, the guitar legend, passed away in Spain. Sad.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gary+moore+death&hl=en&prmd=ivnsuo&tbs=mbl:1&tbo=u&ei=6NBOTdXtBI3ksQOm8bzOCg&sa=X&oi=realtime_result_group_more_results_link&ct=title&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CEoQ5QUwBA

Gary Moore (1952 – 2011) dies in Spain
06 Feb 2011

Hot Press has learned of the death of Gary Moore. The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain.

One of the greatest players of his generation, Gary Moore began his professional career in his teens. He was still only sixteen years of age when he moved from Belfast to Dublin in 1969, to join Skid Row – originally a four-piece that featured Brush Shiels on bass, Nollaig Bridgeman on drums and Philip Lynott as lead vocalist, as well as Gary on lead guitar.

Soon afterwards, Philip Lynott was sidelined, with Brush and Gary sharing vocals, turning Skid Row into a power-trio of the kind that was in vogue at the time, following on the success of Rory Gallagher's Taste and the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Skid Row were signed to CBS Records and released two albums, Skid in 1970 and 34 Hours in 1971.

Adept at blues, hard rock and jazz, Moore was also a superb, lyrical, melodic guitar player and featured on a number of other Irish albums in cameo roles, including records by Dr.Strangely Strange among others. He was drafted into Thin Lizzy by Philip Lynott to replace the departing Eric Bell, before the formation of the definitive 4-piece Lizzy line-up, with Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson on twin lead guitars. However, on the Nightlife album (1974), he played the extraordinary solo on 'Still In Love With You', which became one of Thin Lizzy's most enduring tracks and a perennial live favourite. Gary returned to the Lizzy line-up briefly again, when Brian Robertson was ruled out of a US tour in 1977. Moore also featured on the Lizzy album Black Rose, released in 1979.

"He was a genius player," Hot Press editor Niall Stokes said. "Even as a teenager, he had something special about him and throughout his career he worked really hard at improving his technique. His contribution to the Irish rock canon was immense, both in his own solo work, his days with Skid Row, the great records he recorded with Philip Lynott and with Thin Lizzy and in various other cameos. My heart goes out to all of his close friends and family. It is a huge loss."

While his relationship with Lizzy lead singer and songwriter Philip Lynott was hugely competitive, and there were often disagreements between them, they remained musical cohorts, and joined forces for the hit single 'Parisienne Walkways' (1979) on which Philip sang and the later single, 'Out In The Fields' (1985), which reached No.5 in the UK charts.

While he featured along the way as part of Jon Hiseman in Colosseum II, for most of his career Gary Moore led his own band, shifting between hard rock, metal, jazz-influenced fusion music and the blues. The first Gary Moore Band LP, Grinding Stone, was released in 1973. In recent years he had returned to his roots, first with the release of Still Got The Blues in 1991 and later with Back To The Blues, in 2001. In all, he released 20 studio albums, as well as six live collections, including the Live At Montreaux DVD.

May he rest in peace

Jimi75
February 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Oh god, this is so sad. He was mone of my biggest influences, saw him live a couple of times!

R.I.P. Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidsmoke
February 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
vrz00Rs7mbA

yep. huge fan. Terrible loss.

Eric
February 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Wow, I didn't realize he was close to death. I'm sorry to see him go.

Spudman
February 6th, 2011, 12:04 PM

I don't think he was close to death. I'd never heard about any health issues. I'm sure we'll eventually find out the cause.

ZMAN
February 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I am speechless. Also one of my great influences. A sad day in Bluesland.

Iago
February 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM

"Hot Press has learned of the death of Gary Moore. The legendary Belfast-born guitarist died in his sleep last night, while on holiday in Spain."

Probably a heart attack.

Tig
February 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Wow, what a huge loss! We sure didn't expect this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FgnFVm5k0

tunghaichuan
February 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Wow, a great player to be sure, he will be missed.

RIP, Gary.

Eric
February 6th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I don't think he was close to death. I'd never heard about any health issues. I'm sure we'll eventually find out the cause.
Ah. Well then, I guess it's a bit different. I always wonder if the deaths of people I don't follow closely are expected or sudden losses, since I'm not really in the know on their lives anyway. Regardless, it's sad that his time came. I really liked what I had heard of him.

tunghaichuan
February 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I was always much more a fan of his 80s hard rock/metal music: Victims of the Future, Corridors of Power, Wild Frontier, Run for Cover.

My favorite GM tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJEytBlp1I

Although it has a different solo than the album version, both of which are stellar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoMI9TeZ0H4

And a killer live live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_epGbAy5yRU

ET335
February 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I was just watching a video of him 2 days ago..

very sad and a great loss.

Spudman
February 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
This is my first memory of him. I just noticed he's getting a little help from Ian Paice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGWdkqDH0XY

helliott
February 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty stunned by this. The world has lost a very fine guitarist. There's a good DVD of him, Gorham, Robertson and Bell in a tribute to Phil, made in Dublin a few years back. Not the greatest dvd all around, but sure showcased how powerful and graceful Gary could be. This is a very sad day.

(DVD's called One Night in Dublin -- made in 06)

stingx
February 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
It goes without saying that for folks like us who have a passion for music and guitar in particular that this man's catalog is somehow embedded into us. 58 is far too young to check out. How friggin' sad is this? What a talent, what a loss. Gary defined taste. He left a huge impression on me and he will be sorely missed.

Robert
February 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
This unreal. I can't believe it! He was so healthy. I am stunned and chocked.

Spudman
February 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM
This unreal. I can't believe it! He was so healthy. I am stunned and chocked.

I'm curious if he really was healthy. In some of his current promo shots he doesn't look very good. It is shocking anyway he was just 58 yrs old.

Lev
February 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I remember as a teenager hearing Still got the Blues for the first time and the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times thats happened to me.

I also remember seeing him in concert on tv when I was a kid and he sustained a note for about a minute. I probably hadnt even started playing guitar at that stage but I remember thinking to myself "I wanna learn how to do that!"

Sad loss. RIP

Duffy
February 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Very, very sad to have lost him so soon. May God rest his soul.

guitarhack
February 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
A great loss for music. He was an outstanding guitarist.

sumitomo
February 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Lev;199838]I remember as a teenager hearing Still got the Blues for the first time and the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times thats happened to me. I hear ya Lev there has been only a handful of guitar players that have stood my neck hairs up,Gary was one of them.Sumi:D

Katastrophe
February 7th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Truly a guitar giant. He could play any genre he wanted to, and still pull it off with sincerity and feeling. RIP, fretboard warrior.

Tig
February 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy): Gary Moore's passing has been a huge shock to us, his friends, and to all of us who had the chance to play and create some cool and memorable musical moments together. My heart goes out to Gary's family, who I know loved him very much. You will be missed, old friend.”

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy): “I am in total shock. He will always be in my thoughts and prayers and I just can't believe he is gone.”

Vivian Campbell (Def Leppard, currently touring with Thin Lizzy): “Another of my guitar heroes died today; first Marc Bolan, then Rory Gallagher, now Gary Moore. It'll be strange playing ‘Still in Love with You Tonight’ (sic).”
Joe Bonamassa: “I wouldn't be doing what I do if it wasn't for him. I'm sure I'm not the only person who can say that."

Kee Marcello (Europe): “The first time I heard him play was on the first Skid Row album. I remember on the record sleeve it said, ‘Gary Moore - 17 years old - lead guitar’ and, even back then, he was amazing. I loved Colosseum II and then, of course, his work with Thin Lizzy. Black Rose was just incredible. His sense for melodies reminded me of Jeff Beck; he had superior technique, melody and feel and knew where to play a lot and where not to play. His later work turned on a whole new generation to the blues. It is very sad to see him pass at a way-too-young age. I will miss him.”

Bob Geldof: “He is one of the great blues players. Axl Rose will say that without Thin Lizzy you don't get Guns N' Roses, and that whole idea of rock and roll, and Gary was sort of fundamental in developing that twin-guitar, lyrical thing like on “Parisienne Walkways.” But really you didn't have to cut the skin hard to find just a great, great blues player, and absolutely one of the best."

Robert
February 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM
This interview is worth having a look. I think it's pretty recent. Great playing here too.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/video-gary-moore-shreds-blues-rock-and-jazz-223517

Spudman
February 11th, 2011, 01:29 PM
He's looking like he's put on some weight. I wonder if that contributed to his death?

Robert - do you know what scale or mode he's using to play the jazz stuff at 3:35?

Robert
February 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I couldn't get that video to play on my machine again! I was surprised he played jazz so well, I never knew. I'll have to answer your question later Spud, when I get the video to play.

guitartango
February 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM
It would be nice to see his Gibson going back to the original owner.....Peter Green.

ZMAN
February 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hey Lev do you still have your "Lemon drop"? If so I bet it will definitely be a keeper now.

I read this week that they figure it was a heart attack.

Lev
February 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hey Lev do you still have your "Lemon drop"? If so I bet it will definitely be a keeper now.

I read this week that they figure it was a heart attack.

No, it was a great guitar but over time I found I was playing it less and less so I sold it on. Yeah, just watching some of Garys videos uploaded here this week made me want to play it again.

Pickngrin
February 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Very sad. RIP, Gary.

ZMAN
February 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
No, it was a great guitar but over time I found I was playing it less and less so I sold it on. Yeah, just watching some of Garys videos uploaded here this week made me want to play it again.

I was that way with my Icon Gold Top. I was pissed at all the noise from the p90s. Then I got the Vibro Champ, and the Super ChampXDs. I guess because of the way they process the signal with the gain already in, the noise is gone. Now I play it all the time. I had to have a fret level done on it a while back but that made it perfect action wise.
It is amazing how many big artists claim he was influential in their playing. Bonamassa especially.

Rockermann
February 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
This is my first memory of him. I just noticed he's getting a little help from Ian Paice.

Man, that takes me back. That was my first exposure of him too. I played in a working band back in the 80's and we did 'Shapes', Gary's version. I had never heard of him at the time. The bass player was telling me how talented he was etc. I liked the song, but never got into Gary until much later in my life. I wish I would have caught the ride way back then.

It's indeed a terrible loss. Such a shame that it came so relatively early.