PDA

View Full Version : Bad or old modem????

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Just the other day I started (out of nowhere) getting a message similar to the following message when I tried to go on a few sites:

"The connection has timed out
The server at www.guitarseminars.com is taking too long to respond.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I have NO problem with most of the sites I go to, just a few. I have no problem accessing www. thefret.net for instance. What gives and how do I fix it? I am computer illiterate for the most part, but Baby Cobra can help if she comes over for a visit, which is infrequent due to college.

My computer is just about a year old and pretty powerful. My wireless modem is 5-7 years old. My previous computer was 10 yrs old. Could it be that my modem isn't properly matched to my computer or due to it's age, it's becoming slow and obsolete?

Baby Cobra thinks I may have modem issues?

What do you computer gurus say?

kiteman
February 7th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I had a few instances like that so I don't think it's your system. Even thefret didn't load sometimes.

bcdon
February 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
When you get this message on one site, but other sites work, then it is the site that is the
problem. The site could be very busy or something crashed. Whenever you get a message
like this, try visiting google (or any site that you rarely see crash) and if that site works okay,
it is most likey a problem with the site, not your computer setup.

Eric
February 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
^ What he said. I sometimes have my cable internet cut out, but a modem and router reset usually fix that.

Spudman
February 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I was having similar issues to what you describe. Try a variety of speed tests freely available on the web.

Some sites would work just fine for me but data heavy material would not transfer. It turned out my modem was bad and I got a used one from the auction site and for about $30 I was back in business. The tricky thing is that the speed tests showed mostly good, some didn't and I trusted those. My ISP said that the good reports were correct from what they could tell at their end. They were wrong - I was right.

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I was having similar issues to what you describe. Try a variety of speed tests freely available on the web.

Spud......do I Google "internet speed tests"? What do I look for? lol Never knew something like that existed. What you say about your own problem makes sense and is in-line with what my daughter opined about the possibility that my router is "old-school". lol

When in work, I have no problem accessing these sites. The problem started Saturday, so maybe it's a glitch. Who knows? But I do want to do these "speed tests" and so I appreciate whatever links/advice you can provide.

Thank to all for your help. It could be a momentary problems in some of the sites too. One of the sites in particular crashes maybe once a week or so. I will keep an eye on things......do the "speed tests" and if it doesn't get better, then maybe time for a router upgrade.

Spudman
February 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Spud......do I Google "internet speed tests"? Exactly. There are about 5 that work pretty well. Your ISP should also have one available at their site.

It's going to be your modem if anything is bad otherwise the router has nothing to send out. My problem started after a wind storm so I thought the supply line was damaged but it wasn't.

Do you use a wireless router to supply your house as well? Look for a modem that is the same as the one you suspect might be bad. You might even borrow one from your ISP just to check. Then you can use that for the week that it takes to get your new one in.

piebaldpython
February 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
************APOLOGIES TO ALL********************

Mea culpa!! The title of this thread and my phrasing for much of it was incorrect. As my daughter had explained........the WIRELESS ROUTER may be the culprit as it's significantly older than my new computer and the ROUTER had been bought with the previous "old-school" computer in mind.

Computer is 1 yr old........WIRELESS ROUTER is 5-7 yrs old.

Yes Spud, we have a wireless router that supplies our house from the ISP.

So, is there some kind of test for the ROUTER to see if it's functioning properly? Or a test to see if we have the proper ROUTER given our computer set-up?

Sorry again.

piebaldpython
February 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
My computer has been working fine since last nite and I haven't seen that darned message anymore. YAY!!

Spudman
February 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Is every computer running off the wireless?
If you have one hooked directly to the modem and are getting good transfers that way then your issue could be the router.

Often it is the receiver card that is problematic though. There might be something interfering if the computers that are receiving the wireless signal are the ones malfunctioning. In our case we have several walls between the wireless router and computer that was often not getting data. Turned out the card in the computer couldn't pick up the signal well enough through all the walls. Got a new card with an external antenna that works because it can be positioned optimally. Cheap fix.

Age of your router shouldn't matter. I think they either work or don't work. It's not like one tire is flat and it can limp along.

You need to determine if every computer behaves the same way. If so, try to hook one up to the MODEM directly, bypassing the router. If that functions fine then your issue could be the router. If the ISP provided the router get them to bring by a newer one to see if that helps. If it does buy your own and save money on what they charge for rental and return the router right away.

piebaldpython
February 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
The router is connected by a cable into the PC of our computer. If my daughter comes over with her laptop, then she uses the code from our router to get online. She moved into my father's house back in October and she ordered Internet service and a wireless router for her/his house. She has said a time or two that she thinks she gets quicker connections at her house than at mine. Dunno.

It's working like a champ now, all sites coming in fine. GREMLINS???

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
GREMLINS???

Usually. Don't leave any food out unattended.