PDA

View Full Version : Making weird synth sounds with some of my custom FX.

Ch0jin
February 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was messing about the other night seeing if I could make mellow ambient style synth sounds with my gear. The audio is just my iphone that was sitting next to me on the floor, but I liked the sound so much I shot a quick video to go with it so I could put it on the YouTubes.

This isn't a song or anything, just messing with FX to try and get the sound that was in my head. I will however be doing more with this kind of thing in the future as I kinda dig it.

You're hearing my BB1200 with B90's -> Crybaby with "Bass" and "Vocal" mods engaged ->micro POG (modified for true bypass, not that that makes any difference in this clip) -> amp w/spring reverb, with Phase Royal -> PT80 Delay -> EA Tremolo (original spec) in the FX loop. I'm messing with the knobs on all three modulation pedals and the guitar as I play, hence the minimal noteage.

icg33sJ6bjo

Seen but not heard are my "Grunge!" and "Green Russian" germanium Fuzz's, "Knuckleduster" overdrive, "Red Sonja" muff and "Rock'n'Roll" distortion pedals, as well as my trusty metal zone, RC-2, and mighty GFT-90 tuna.

tunghaichuan
February 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Wow, very cool. :applause :AOK

Great looking effects and great sounding, too.

Very Adrian Belew/King Crimson-ish. :dude

I was messing about the other night seeing if I could make mellow ambient style synth sounds with my gear. The audio is just my iphone that was sitting next to me on the floor, but I liked the sound so much I shot a quick video to go with it so I could put it on the YouTubes.

This isn't a song or anything, just messing with FX to try and get the sound that was in my head. I will however be doing more with this kind of thing in the future as I kinda dig it.

You're hearing my BB1200 with B90's -> Crybaby with "Bass" and "Vocal" mods engaged ->micro POG (modified for true bypass, not that that makes any difference in this clip) -> amp w/spring reverb, with Phase Royal -> PT80 Delay -> EA Tremolo (original spec) in the FX loop. I'm messing with the knobs on all three modulation pedals and the guitar as I play, hence the minimal noteage.

icg33sJ6bjo

Seen but not heard are my "Grunge!" and "Green Russian" germanium Fuzz's, "Knuckleduster" overdrive, "Red Sonja" muff and "Rock'n'Roll" distortion pedals, as well as my trusty metal zone, RC-2, and mighty GFT-90 tuna.

Ch0jin
February 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks Tung :) Glad you enjoyed it! I'm currently waiting (and waiting) for a bunch of parts from around the world to arrive so I can make up some more cool pedals to expand the soundscape even further (amongst them, a chorus, envelope filter, sample and hold, compressor, noise gate...) so in a month or so I'll hopefully have some cool new demo's. I'm liking mixing trem and phaser with delay to try and cop some of the really crazy tape delay sounds. Until I can afford a Strymon anyway ;) I've been looking at another DIY delay project that has me interested too. Basically a delay with LFO modulation and an FX loop. All kinds of crazy there..

Ch0jin
February 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Oh and one thing for you pedal builders out there. This experiment taught me the MASSIVE value of having a "mix" control on FX for this kind of ambient stuff. Those stomp switches are loud as heck anyway, but I think they are even louder now mine are mounted on pine boards. Being able to wind FX in and out without horrible "CLICK" sounds all through it is so cool. Additionally wiring for an expression pedal is something I'm going to be seriously considering from here out. Phase speed, trem speed, delay repeats or speed would all be awesome on an expression pedal methinks.

bcdon
February 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
When I was playing this my wife asked if I was on acid, it really is psychedelic like that. Very cool! :dude

Ch0jin
February 9th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Thanks man. I know exactly what you mean, although when I did that I was on my 2nd or 3rd Havana Club is all :)