PDA

View Full Version : Vox Tonelab vs. Line 6 HD 500

Beerman
February 9th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I've used the older version of the Vox Tonelab SE for almost 2 years now and paid about $300 for it. I've read lots of reviews and scoured the net reading about the more expensive HD500 and wondered if anyone here has played these pretty much side by side and can offer an opinion of the sound quality comparison.
I know the Vox has a newer version out and it appears some folks like the older one better but even for the extra dollars the Line 6 costs, it appears you get not only more for your money but most feel it's an all around better unit.
What think ye?

helliott
February 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I've got the older unit, and have played the newer one and the Line 6. I prefer the older Vox to the newer one, but that may just be familiarity. Both sound pretty great to me, and I'm looking for lots of tone and timbre versatility that you can get easily with the amp and speaker models. I do think it sounds more tube-y than other effects units I've used.
As for the Line 6, I swore off them after getting one, having huge problems with switches not working right, and general flimsiness. Eventually replaced that with another, and still had problems. Took it back and walked away. The Vox is a tank by comparison, and I need the toughness when I'm using for gigging.

Tig
February 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I've had an HD-500 since the first week they were released and haven't had a single problem yet. Solid, dependable, and I'm enjoying the endless tonal landscapes and flexibility.

The Vox Tonelab SE was in my short list until the HD came out. They are still great units, but I never owned one so I can't comment past enjoying a few brief demo's last year.

broke okie
February 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have the Tonelab LE (in between the older SE and the new ST) and truly love it. The tube pre-amp is what set it apart for me sound wise. The other reason I chose it was for ease of editing. Just turn a knob to change anything. Quick and easy. I know nothing about the HD500 but was never impressed with the older Pod's and they were a hassle to edit. (for me)