PDA

View Full Version : A good basic distortion

Leonidas
November 7th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ok, I currently own a bad monkey overdrive, and I love it. I love using it in front of my vox on some of the clean models. I have never, however, owned a distortion pedal. (there is a difference from what I understand).

I guess what I would like to know is: is it worth getting a distortion pedal, knowing what I currently have? I guess it would give me more versatility.

And if it would be a good idea, what would a good distortion box be to start off with? I'm not looking to spend my entire next paycheck, something fairly cheap (< $100)
I had been looking at the Boss DS-1??

SuperSwede
November 7th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Leonidas, the DS-1 is a really good distorsion pedal. As they say, you cannot go wrong with a Boss.
Also, there is a lot of popular mods if you want to change the tonal capabilites later.

marnold
November 7th, 2006, 10:07 AM
You could also look at one of the Behringer models. They've got some that model the DS-1, among others. They're quite a bit cheaper than the Boss models, although not built as solidly. I find that with my Vox I can rely on the distortion it provides and just use my overdrive when I need a boost to 11.

Robert
November 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Try the Danelectro FAB Distortion - it's the cheapest pedal in the Universe! I like it, see my website for video demos.

It is small and plastic and flimsy, but it's got good tone for 14 bucks! I like it better than the Digitech Hot Head distortion (which is more solidly built though).

Spudman
November 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Boss DS-1.
It was voted one of the all time best pedals to have.
It works super with the Monkey. Put the DS-1 first that way when it's on and you hit the Monkey it allows you to really shape the sound of the DS-1 output. The Monkey has much better tone control and will smooth out the buzz of the DS-1.

I love mine in that combination and have used it for all my gigging for the last 12 years.

Used delivered on fleabay around $30 or less. That leaves $60 or so to spend on milkshakes.

abraxas
November 8th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hello Leonidas

I have a Boss HM-2 ("HM" stands for "Heavy Metal") from the 80s. I almost sold it a while ago, but have since come to my senses and realized just how good this box is; straightforward "eighties" distortion without the plastic tone color of some recent pedals.

You could possibly score one on ebay for less than $50 ;)

Nelskie
November 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Leonidas - You might want to check out the DigiTech Tone Driver. It's a great-sounding pedal that emulates (3) of the most sought-after distortion pedals of all time - the DOD 250, and the Ibanez TS-808 and TS-9. The "morphing" control of the X-series pedals allows you to blend characteristics of each, creating even a wider variety of sounds. I think I paid around $79 for mine at Musician's Friend, and it's a pedal I use a lot. Here's the link to the sound samples at the DigiTech website:

http://www.digitech.com/products/xseriesflash/ToneDriver.html

Of course, there's no substitute for the "real thing", and if you have some extra moolah to spend, you could always opt for the most famous overdrive pedal of them all - the Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9). I was recently re-united with this pedal after a long and difficult absence, and I must say that as far as OD & distortion go, you'd look long and hard to find a better sounding unit. Here's the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-Effects-Pedal-Original-Reissue?sku=150284

Lastly, if that late 60's Marshall tone appeals to you, you might want to check out the Marshall Bluesbreaker II. It effectively replicates the much sought-after tone used by some of that era's legendary recording artists - most notably Eric Clapton. The pedal also features a very useful "boost" feature, which like the Bad Monkey, pushes the front end of the amp into natural overdrive - w/o coloring your guitar / amp's natural tonal character. The pedal's "blues" setting adds rich, Marshall-y harmonic overtones to any amp or amp model that you align it with. Like the Tone Driver, it's around $70. Here's the link to the pedal & soundclips (under downloads) on the Marshall site.

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=62

All of these pedals offer the player a wide variety of distortion timbres, and feature adjustment controls for maximum tonal flexibility. The other thing I'd add about these pedals is that they can be very effective in adding a just the right amount of "flavor" to an already good tone. In short - you don't have to run them full-bore to get good, usable sounds.

I own all three of these pedals myself, and would recommend them to anyone - the TS-9 especially. IMHO, it is quite possibly the best-sounding distortion pedal ever designed - bar none. Anything you run it through or with sounds absolutely fantastic. But don't just take my word for it . . . check out all of the players who use it.

Good luck with your search! ;)

Leonidas
November 9th, 2006, 09:36 AM
great info everyone!

I still seem to be leaning toward the DS-1. Mostly because it seems like the standard in distortion pedals... everyone seems to have at least used one at some point. Although I hadn't considered Marshall for pedals until now (Thanks Nelskie). The Bluesbreaker seems like a very cool pedal. Also I don't think I'd like to consider a tubescreamer, because from what I understand (correct me if i'm wrong) the bad monkey is very similiar.

Basically I am looking for something with more fuzz and drive. And I could do exactly what you describe, Spud, in combo with the monkey. I'm thinkin DS-1.....

Nelskie
November 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Also I don't think I'd like to consider a tubescreamer, because from what I understand (correct me if i'm wrong) the bad monkey is very similiar......
In concept - yes. In end tonal result - not even close. I mainly offered the TS-9 as a suggestion because to my ears, it seems to cover both the overdrive and distortion bases very effectively. The Bad Monkey is also more tonally transparent than the TS-9, which as you've stated, makes it seem like it needs a bit more "fuzz & drive". The Tube Screamer eats this stuff for lunch. Add to it the fact that the proprietary processing chip in the TS-9 can be further modified to push its sound even further (*see my posts under the vintage section of the forum - "The Little Green Box From Hell".) Anyways, maybe its something for you to consider later on, as you become more familiar with what will eventually comprise your "own tone". ;)

Anyways - I think you're on the right path with the Boss DS-1. It'll be a nice match with your BM, and I think they'll both be very effective in enhancing the already great tones you get with your Valvetronix amp.

Rabies
November 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Does anyone here have a Fulltone OCD? If so, I'd love to hear some feedback on it. Thanks in advance!!

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
In concept - yes. In end tonal result - not even close. I mainly offered the TS-9 as a suggestion because to my ears, it seems to cover both the overdrive and distortion bases very effectively. The Bad Monkey is also more tonally transparent than the TS-9, which as you've stated, makes it seem like it needs a bit more "fuzz & drive". The Tube Screamer eats this stuff for lunch. Add to it the fact that the proprietary processing chip in the TS-9 can be further modified to push its sound even further (*see my posts under the vintage section of the forum - "The Little Green Box From Hell".) Anyways, maybe its something for you to consider later on, as you become more familiar with what will eventually comprise your "own tone". ;)

Anyways - I think you're on the right path with the Boss DS-1. It'll be a nice match with your BM, and I think they'll both be very effective in enhancing the already great tones you get with your Valvetronix amp.

So in theory you could substitute the TS-9 for owning both the Bad Monkey and DS-1 (or similar)?

Spudman
November 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM
In theory you can do anything. In reality there is no substitute. If I could do it over again I would have the Monkey and the DS 1 for less than the price of a TS 9 and have way more tonal and drive options available. My TS 9 has been great all these past 30 years but tonally the Monkey is more flexible.

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM
In theory you can do anything. In reality there is no substitute. If I could do it over again I would have the Monkey and the DS 1 for less than the price of a TS 9 and have way more tonal and drive options available. My TS 9 has been great all these past 30 years but tonally the Monkey is more flexible.

Thanks. All I needed to hear. Both the Monkey and the DS-1 were already on my Christmas list. :DR Now I just have to get my recording thing figured out. Should be just a cable issue with my existing computers.

Ro3b
November 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Does anyone here have a Fulltone OCD? If so, I'd love to hear some feedback on it. Thanks in advance!!

I got one a couple of weeks ago. I test-flew six or seven different distortion pedals at Guitar Center -- including a Boss DS-1, an MXR Distortion+, a Big Muff, and others I don't remember -- and I just liked the OCD the best. It's really open and natural-sounding. I can get nice big rich sounds out of the thing; tons of overtones, big fat harmonics. I like the fact that it's very touch-sensitive; I can vary the amount of distortion by altering my attack. In this way it responds almost like an acoustic guitar. Only totally different. :D I'm also liking the rich tubey "clean" sounds I can get using the low-peak setting and the drive knob at around 9:00.

In short, I'm tremendously pleased with the OCD, and becoming more so as I discover more ways to use it. It's a tone toolbox.

Nelskie
November 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
My TS 9 has been great all these past 30 years but tonally the Monkey is more flexible.
I'm not sure I would subscribe to that same theory - but again, different ears hear different things.

Also, let me clarify my initial post: To me, the TS-9 has a much warmer, and smoother feel than the BM. Although both are technically classified as "tube overdrive" units - the gain characteristics of the TS-9 give it the distinct "feel" of a good distortion pedal. The tone of the BM seems more transparent to me, which is a very desirable to many players, as it does not "colour" the tone of their amp, but will still push the front-end nicely. I also prefer the sound of the TS-9 over the BM when using solid-state MEP's (multi-effects processors) and amplifiers.

On pure bang for the buck, though, you can't go wrong with the Bad Monkey. But as Spud said, it is not a substitute for the TS-9. As well, it is very likely that my TS-9 sounds completely different than a stock unit, due in part to its "Brown Mod" (*which adds another $25 to its $99 cost.) At this point, though, we're not even comparing apples to apples.

The point I'm trying to make is this: learn to trust you own ears - you'll know what sounds best to you. ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
The point I'm trying to make is this: learn to trust you own ears - you'll know what sounds best to you. ;)

Good advice. I hope to do some testing here soon when I hitch up the horses and head to the big city. Boise, always makes me think of Skynyrd.:DR

sunvalleylaw
January 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Boss DS-1.
It was voted one of the all time best pedals to have.
It works super with the Monkey. Put the DS-1 first that way when it's on and you hit the Monkey it allows you to really shape the sound of the DS-1 output. The Monkey has much better tone control and will smooth out the buzz of the DS-1.

Thanks largely to my reading on the fret, and talking to Spud, (never did get a chance to play with any pedals in person) I have my first ever pedal, the Boss DS-1. I had received an Ibanez TS-7 for Christmas, and traded it in for the Boss. I have played around tonight at low volume, messing around with Cobain, and Charlie Parker (thanks Robert) at the same settings. It will be fun to crank it up when I have the house to myself. In the meantime, it helps me get a little more tone at low volume. I have a used Bad Monkey coming to use in tandem with it as suggested by Spud above. Fun, Fun, Fun!

tot_Ou_tard
January 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Congrats Steve! The Monk was my first pedal as well.

Robert
January 10th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hey, get a Maxon SD-9 and your search for a good distortion pedal is over. You can get it for 100 bucks on eBay.

SuperSwede
January 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Marshall Bluesbreaker & Marshall Guvnor... especially if you have a "Fenderish" amp and need a british injection.