PDA

View Full Version : Bummer.. Subaru emission repairs sucking up all guitar budget (and more)

poodlesrule
February 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Well, my now ten-year old Subaru is eating sensors and developing vacuum leaks in the emission system, requiring costly repairs (ongoing!) to pass state inspection.
There goes any possible guitar money written off for a while.
I am not broke, and it certainly has less impact than, say, the next oncologist's bloodwork results, but, darn...

I am starting to think that the fuel additives, be it ethanol or others are screwing systems up...

grrr.

Edit to add: in other news, Keira Knightley looks beautiful!

sumitomo
February 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Tell me what's going on(what year,model,engine size)I'm a Suby tech over 30yrs experience.I tell ya alot of these guys have not a clue,they think you plug in a magic box and it tell's ya what's wrong,what a joke!.You have to have the basic's compression,fuel,ing,charging system,ect.So let's see if we can fix this for you minus the 70+ bucks an hour and all you get is bullshit.Sumi:D

Eric
February 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I wish I had lived around you a few years ago, Sumi. My '97 Outback had head gasket problems, but they screwed something up during reassembly and I kept getting a cylinder misfire. Grr. Fortunately it's still going strong now.

poodlesrule
February 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
OK Sumi..the story:

2001 Forester, S model, regular 2, 5 l engine

EL was on all year, tried the disconnect battery trick to get pass emission sticker... "ECU not ready" Reject sticker issued

Went to dealer, he finds leak in gas filler pipe, code P0442, "replaced neck, valve and hardware", EL is now off.

120 mi. later EL back on!

Today, from my local guy (not dealer) he had codes P0136/P0456, and replaced rear O2 sensor and reset EL/ECU
He says that if light comes on, need to look at small leak somewhere, via smoke test...

Tig
February 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I hate it when stinkin' reality gets in the way of GAS! :mad

I made the mistake of using a number too high in last year's W-2 form, so I now owe tax for about the same amount as a few of the Telecasters was ready to buy with expected refund money.
:thwap

sumitomo
February 10th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Here's the deal on the single cam 2.5's,they usually need headgaskets at 100k(I find it odd that he replaced the rear o2 cause the front ones are known problems)it's real odd about the leak,I usually see the solonoids go bad,damm emmissions crap.You can see if the headgaskets are seeping look at the bottom rear of the drivers side head,it's the one that leaks first,it usually causes a code PO4020 Cat efficency below threshold and most repair shops say you need a new cat,Bullshit what checks the cat?The o2 sensors do and they are much cheaper than cats.Anyway I don't know if any of this helps but you'll have a better understanding of how it works and just ask me if you need to know any thing else.I'll do what I can for ya.Sumi:D

poodlesrule
February 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Sumi.

Headgaskets have been replaced (free)under warranty/factory problem two years ago, with the magic hot sauce for the coolant (that's a good one!)

Cat is new, as a good portion of exhaust system was rusted solid at flanges...

To use a guitar analogy, it is no longer a Forester, more like a Partster..! Maybe I should part it out on eBay?

sumitomo
February 10th, 2011, 05:42 PM
You know I've been to South America and they don't have the Check engine light prob that I see here in the States,It sucks cause cars under 2000,when the light goes on it usually goes to a enrichment mode(gives more fuel and pulls timing back)so the cars pollute more(stupid)and people with little money won't fix it so their trying to clean the air but by tighting up the maps in the computer(maps are a matrix that give or take fuel and timing)the light goes on and pollute the air,not the newer cars their computers can actually learn and if a sensor is bad it can throw in the numbers it needs to keep the car running and not over rich and under timed.Sumi:D Also most of the cars were not tuned (imported cars) to run on this new fuel we get,I see a lot of engine lights going on BECAUSE of this.

Tig
February 11th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I am starting to think that the fuel additives, be it ethanol or others are screwing systems up...

Also, 10% ethanol has been reported to decrease gas milage. I remember reading individual's tests that proved it.

EPA estimate testing still didn't use 10% ethanol fuels the last time I checked.

NWBasser
February 11th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Also, 10% ethanol has been reported to decrease gas milage. I remember reading individual's tests that proved it.

EPA estimate testing still didn't use 10% ethanol fuels the last time I checked.

This is particularly true because ethanol does not have anywhere near the energy density of petroleum, so more of it is needed to accomplish the same amount of work.

poodlesrule
February 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Arrgh, I looked up my repair records, I did spend quite a bit in sensors and stuff on this machine, over the years.

I wonder if the "handy" and "educated" motorist should buy his own OBD II reader at this point, given the complexity of emissions systems? I should have...

Other: Sumi, look for a pm from me, quick question (timing belt).

Eric
February 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I wonder if the "handy" and "educated" motorist should buy his own OBD II reader at this point, given the complexity of emissions systems? I should have...
Funny you should mention that -- I just bought the $20 reader jobby off of Amazon. I think it told me I have an O2 sensor issue maybe. Joy.

NWBasser
February 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hmm, these Subi stories are making my Honda CR-V look better and better.